Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Right-Handed Grip

So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand
For I am the Lord your God
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear;
I will help you.
Isaiah 41:10, 13


Try to picture or imagine that: God holding your right hand with His right hand.  How would that look?  How would it work?  What's with the right hand, anyway?  

To be sure ... it's a intimate posture.  Either He leans over our shoulders, His arm stretched protectively across them.  Or He stands in front of us, face-to-face, while reaching across our frame as if to coax us forward.  You know ... the same stance two men take when exchanging a hand shake.  Ever wonder where that came from?  (Don't guess, it is commonly believed to have been a means of demonstrating that no weapon was contained or concealed in one's hand). 

How do I know this?  Because it's how I have to lead baby Kole (who'll be two come June) at times, especially the times when he needs a steadying grip, or a gentle leading.  It differs from our casual strolls when I can take his little palm in either of my own.  The difference is due largely to the need for greater care with the right-handed clasp.   

There's something very comforting in slipping my plain ole, common, garden variety, un-armed right-handed digits into His righteous, un-armed right grip.  



13 comments:

Thoughts for the day said...

I love it. To think that God is holding us up and walking alongside us like you walk with your little one, what an awesome thought!

Saleslady371 said...

It is very comforting to think He holds me by His right hand. I like your explanation!

Jackie said...

Kathleen, I love the picture you've painted....His right hand steadying and gently leading me along life's journey.....Oh how comforting...Oh how wonderful!

Thanks for sharing!

HE IS FAITHFUL!

Blessings!
Jackie

skoots1mom said...

unarmed, scarred, and with our names written there...
what a beautiful image
what a MORE worthy Savior
Praise God, He loved us thru the point of death ;)

Denise said...

Really love this my friend.

Glenda said...

Oh, Kathleen, these thoughts are so very special to me! In the past year, God has used the "right hand" scriptures to encourage and strengthen me again and again . . . and now I read your beautiful words! Isn't God so amazing to put just the right words in our paths? Thank you for allowing Him to use you!

Glenda said...

Hope you don't mind that I copy and print this post to keep in my Bible!

myletterstoemily said...

i love this~ it reminds me of one of
my favorite closings, "in His grip,"

RCUBEs said...

Oh, I love that Scripture you shared...I always think about what "right hand" means and you helped me here! :)

I love this, too:

"Sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done marvelous things; his right hand and his holy arm have worked salvation for him."

Ohh...the power from the Lord's right hand!!! God bless.

Beth E. said...

Another image, for me, is God reaching out with his right hand to pull me out of yet another mess I've gotten myself into! :-)

Rebecca said...

The older I get...the more unsteady I am on my feet....the more I need and appreciated "the right-handed grip"!

What a reassuring post, Kathleen!

Andrea said...

Beautiful portrait of GODS love! I am clinging to HIM, now.

Blessings, hugs, and prayers,
andrea

Just a little something from Judy said...

A perfect definition of real "peace" and "comfort" as I walk through daily life. Love the illustration of little Kole.