Friday, May 25, 2012

Know, Known, Knowing

For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror;
then we shall see face to face.
Now I know in part; then I shall know fully,
even as I am fully known. 
~ 1 Corinthians 13:12

In each of it's iterations, the know factor speaks of recognition.  It's meaning, as described elaborately by our friend Merriam is to: 
  • perceive directly
  • have direct cognition
  • have understanding of
  • recognize
  • be acquainted or familiar with
  • be convinced or certain of

In terms of usage, the word (though hardly the concept) dates to the 12th Century, and to the Old English cnāwan = to recognize.  Also to the Latin gnoscere, noscere to come to know (the seed-bed for gnosis, or Gnostic)

Mind you, this sort of know in no way resembles that of the 15 year old's version (or some 60 year olds I know), which is to know it all.  At certain junctures of life we apparently arm ourselves with delusional summations, lending credence to the oft heard statement:  The older I get the dumber I become. Or The older I get, the smarter are my parents.  

I suppose that's why I am always blown away by the profound fact of God's knowing of me, not to mention His invitation to be known by me.  It speaks of certainty, of shared cognition wrapped in the arms of familiarity & conviction.  I'd expect that with my spouse, of my BFF, but God? 

How utterly personal & intimate.   It puts me in mind of the dynamic of devotion between parent & child, and the tremendous security that produces.



We do not make friends with God;
God makes friends with us,
bringing us to know him by
making his love known to us. 
J.I. Packer

There's a lot we can know today.  Truly, information abounds & we mortals literally run to-and-fro to find it.  But to know and be known by the God of Creation far surpasses all other pursuits.  

Then again, I know you know that.

To fall in love with God is the
greatest of all romances;
To seek Him, the greatest adventure;
To find him,
the greatest human achievement.
~ Augustine

 Dear friends, now we are children of God,
and what we will be has not yet been made known.
But we know that when Christ appears,
we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.
~ 1 John 3:2

. whoever loves God is known by God. 
~ 1 Corinthians 8:3

 Not only do we not know God
except through Jesus Christ;
We do not even know ourselves
 except through Jesus Christ. 
~ Blaise Pascal

7 comments:

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

My life verse....Be Still and Know that I am God. Hence my blog title!

It just stops me in my track to know that God is and always has been seeking relationship with us/me long before I even had the comprehension of who he was!

Blessings
R

Just a little something from Judy said...

How blessed we are! To be known and loved without ever deserving any of it. It is the most humbling and yet the most amazing fact ever! I appreciate you and the special gifts our God has given you.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Sassy...

As I read this, I'm thinking about my knowing God, about being able to recognize him in the world around me and clearly sensing my spirit that that's Him! How I pray for God to awaken my spirit and my senses so that I can clearly detect him throughout my comings and goings each day. Wouldn't that be something if we ever got to that place of fellowship?!

peace~elaine

skoots1mom said...

jer. 33:3 my life verse
"Call to me and I will answer you, and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."
He shares his love and knowledge with us in so many special ways

manthano said...

This makes me wonder.
Do I know Him, or just about Him,
Do I spend time learning about Him, or with Him.
THANKS.

Denise said...

Praise God, we are so very blessed.

Runner Mom said...

Beautiful....thank you! And, Elaine's comment makes me ponder even more.
Hugs!
Susan