Saturday, April 7, 2012

Wedged In Between

As I pondered anew the power of Christ's death & resurrection earlier today (Saturday), I found myself high-centered on the FACT of Saturday. 

It goes without saying that Good Friday features prominently in our considerations ... and many among us observe the solemnity of that occasion privately or publicly.  Many businesses close their doors in order for employees to do likewise.  Many knees are bent on Friday. 

And Sunday certainly deserves the joy-filled fanfare it gets from year-to-year as believers unite around the globe to celebrate the hope of resurrection morn - - The Living Christ - Victor, Conqueror, King.  Many hearts are buoyed on Sunday. 

But the day in between, Saturday, is a day of despair; one wedged between those polar opposites of loss/grief and glory.  Many souls are downcast on Saturday. 

I do that, at least some of the time.  I look far into the future (or to tomorrow) with great expectations fueled by faith-filled hope & anticipation.  Then something happens or comes along to disturb or derail the process ... a Good Friday of sorts.  It is then that I freefall into Saturday's wedge, not knowing Sunday's comin'.  It's a pattern I've repeated multiple times in my life.  I dare say I may repeat it again. 

I'm a slow learner. 

Wedge days.  They're synonymous with despair & loss.  They needn't be.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

"Wedge Days" - what an interesting concept. I DID think about this concept this morning as I thought of the words to Christ Arose..... "Low in the grave he lay...waiting the coming day...." Waiting. Just a few more hours until SUNday!

Denise said...

Really interesting.

Glenda said...

Oh, wow! We did share similar thoughts today, didn't we?

Hope you have a beautiful Sunday! He is risen indeed!

Nancy said...

I have felt this way but never put a name to it...so thank you...I was just thinking today that all these many years ago Christ was in the belly of hell just waiting to break free in victory....and on the third day when He is victorious and breaks the chains of death..And yes I too get bogged down between despair and victory but thank goodness He sets the captives free to praise Him for all He has done...

I hope you have a blessed Easter....

RCUBEs said...

It's great to hear from you and what a perfect time as we celebrate our risen Savior and Lord! Happy Resurrection Sunday and God bless.

NanaNor's said...

Easter blessings to you and yours this glorious day! I too have felt such deep emotion when I dwell on the cross but am thankful that His life didn't end there.
Much love, Noreen

skoots1mom said...

our pastor spoke today about the disciples and the women having been in a day of 'emptiness' of their own on Saturday...in between anger and grief. I'm so thankful we have His Word and know the rest of the story ;)
Happy Easter!

Saleslady371 said...

I feel like this too. Your post was written well and that You Tube...dramatic.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

I pondered Saturday this year and was trying to explain it to Benjamin...yes Sunday was on its way, but there was Saturday

myletterstoemily said...

you are so right! saturday is the liminal day
that seems to last forever. it surely was the
longest day for me.