Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Scaling Molehills

"He puts on his walking shoes and
climbs over molehills as if
each one was a mountain."

Excerpt: God's Best for My Life Devotional



I've worn those shoes - the sort kept strictly for scaling molehills in a single bound. I keep them at the ready, along with the ropes, caribiners, crampons, & harnesses needed to the venture forth on the tricky slopes of a good fret.

Is that an oxymoron? Is there such a thing as a good fret?

Surely there is? I mean, who's gonna lay awake at night stewing about the upcoming elections if not a veteran fretter?

And who can resist the urge to wring their hands - just a little - over real or perceived slights? Afterall, a sustained resentment annoyance deserves as much, doesn't it?

What would a strong difference of opinion be with a wee bit of huffing & puffing?

Then there's the economy ... that ought to be good for some pacing, if not a few rants in the direction of the television set, shouldn't it?

What about that thing that keeps me from doing/purchasing that thing I had planned to do/have? Detours & roadblocks are deserving of a few tears or snarls, aren't they?

Oh dear (= exclamation that always precedes a good fret), I've asked wayyyyyyyyyy too many questions, haven't I?

 
"Fretting is the misuse of the gift of imagination
to picture the worst that can happen."
~ John Lloyd Ogilvie


Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!”
Psalm 46:10

"Peace I leave with you;my peace I give to you.
Not as the world gives do I give to you.
Let not your hearts be troubled,
neither let them be afraid."
John 14:27

8 comments:

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

'be still' - that is my motto right now in my life.

thanks to you always for bringing a WORD!

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

It's amazing how I can take a tiny incident, and let my imagination run wild. Thank you for the reminder.

Nancy said...

I think you have a lot of company in the "good fret" society but you have given us the solution now we just have to obey.....Easier said than done but oh the rewards of turning things over to the Father and accepting His peace.....

He'll help us and we can do it.....

Denise said...

Such a wonderful post.

a woman who is said...

Yes and Amen sista! Glorious words to keep us... keeping on...LOVE the quote by John Lloyd Ogilvie!!!!

This is so what God is speaking to my heart these day (SMILE)

Maryann said...

What a great word for today...so much to fret about...his answer "be still and know that I am God"

Just a little something from Judy said...

Does one call it fretting, or caring, or worrying, or consumed in spirit? I can identify with all the above, and the only direction I can look that takes away my maladies, is upward. In stillness, I am caused to look upward. What a well written post and what perfect verses to end with. How blessed we are, that despite our, at times endless frettings, He loves us with an everlasting love, and He is not one bit concerned about the future.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Great quotes...so good after a week of fretting, which isn't good and didn't produce a thing!!

I have missed reading your post...need to catch up!