Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Indulgent? Who, me?

Indulgence.  What comes to mind with that word?  To me, it means all things chocolate as well as an afternoon of old movie viewing; or just doing whatever seems right at the moment.  You know ... all the little indulgences that make for life's spice. 

Not such bad things, eh? 

Not bad, that is, unless & until one pays a visit to Merriam who doesn't speak kindly of such things:  excessive or unrestrained gratification of one's own appetites, desires, or whims

May I just tell you right here, right now that there are waaaayyyyy too many whims in my life that go unchecked.  Since this isn't a confessional in the truest sense, I'll spare you the details (they'd be boring anyway, trust me).  Just know that I view far too much T.V., engage in far too much social media, and treat myself to far too many goodies.  The braking system in several areas of my life needs re-lining.

I'm about to step into the role of facilitator at a Women's mentoring group through our church.  The subject I've selected:  obedience.  Well, I should have known a life lesson for ME was coming way ahead of what the Lord has in store for the women.  What is it we've heard? God will do a work IN you before He does a work THROUGH you.

Like it or not, I'm learning again how to round up my mind's escapees, making note of the fact that the sweet smelling aroma God delights in (2 Corinthians 2:14) is, quickly likely, NOT chocolate chip cookies.

For though we live in the world,
we do not wage war as the world does.  
The weapons we fight with are
not the weapons of the world.
On the contrary, they have divine power
to demolish strongholds.
We demolish arguments and every pretension
that sets itself up against the
knowledge of God,
and we take captive every thought
to make it obedient to Christ.
2 Corinthians 10:2-5

Better that, than this ... 

Don’t have anything to do with foolish
and stupid arguments, because you know
they produce quarrels. And the Lord’s servant
must not be quarrelsome but
 must be kind to everyone,
able to teach, not resentful.
Opponents must be gently instructed,
in the hope that God will grant them repentance
leading them to a knowledge of the truth,
and that they will come to their senses and
escape from the trap of the devil,
who has taken them captive to do his will.
2 Timothy 2:22-26 


Starting today, it is my intention to take a 40 day break from many of the routines of my life - some good, some not-so-good, and some I'm just not sure about in either sense.   See you on the other side.

15 comments:

Glenda said...

Your words are for me today, I think. It seems God is nudging me to give up Facebook for this Lenten season, and I have asked God for confirmation today. And then I read your post . . . thanks for sharing your honest heart.

Rebecca said...

You'll be missed. Your words challenge me greatly. I wonder if I could give up technology for 40 days if called to do so????

I guess if He called me, He would give me the power....

Just a little something from Judy said...

You will be so missed!!! But, I know that Proverbs 3: 5 and 6 is a reality. If that is how God is leading, He will give you the strength and courage to carry on. I believe with all my heart, that He will continue to use you in great and mighty ways. You will be in my prayers whenever God brings you to my mind.

God bless you!

Sonja said...

This is a very similar season for me Kathleen. I hear it in your words and in your heart and I share it in my own heart. It's yet another chapter and God is in it and has our next chapters already written. You will be in my prayers, and I would appreciate yours as well.

Hugs!

Terra said...

That is good you will be mentoring, and are giving yourself a tune up first. Are you taking a blogging break? It sounds like you are; see you upon your return.

Debbie said...

Oh you will be missed for sure! But the Lord is dealing with me with obedience to. In the end it is always for my own good, makes me wonder why I fight it so. Praying your women's group goes well, and the Lord blesses your efforts! HUGS

Nancy said...

I just appreciate you so much...IYou have struck a deep cord with me today as I read your words about self indulgence...I am receiving some of the same messages and they need to be addressed.

It seems God has many of us on the same track and I am sure He will give each of us the direction He wants us to take and the power to stand against any adversity...

My prayers are with you my friend...

Denise said...

I will miss you, praying for you.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Ouch! You got me with the chocolate. And it doesn't matter if it comes in the shape of a fish and say, "Jesus." (Yes, Russell Stover makes such a confection. Picked it up at Walmart.)

RCUBEs said...

Praying for His wisdom and discernment to continue to guide you in all of your ways. You will be missed but you are showing "obedience" already by putting your heart on Who we should treasure the most...Jesus...God bless.

Nel said...

Thanks for sharing what is on your heart. I think at times we need to all step back and get our lives back on track for Who they need to be leading to. Thanks for the reminder!
until next time... nel

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Very fitting for the season of Lent... honestly, we need a fast from certain things in order to break habits. I'd love to sit in your mentoring group. I know you all will be blessed in your time together.

peace~elaine

Peggy said...

Hope you come out on the other side of your break rejuvenated and renewed. After reading Frances Chan's book, "Crazy Love" I've been convicted to give more to others and less to myself. Always enjoy & can relate to your posts.

Karen Lange said...

Oh how I appreciate this reminder! I love the way you expressed it - "my mind's escapees". That really sums it up, doesn't it?

See you when soon. :)

Beth E. said...

I wish I could bring my trusty dictionary and join your group! No doubt I would be learning a lot, as I always do from your posts here.

Missing you, but admiring your obedience to God. I've given up sweets for Lent. Oh, and how I miss that chocolate! ;-)

Much love,
Beth