Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Granny in the Sass OR the Sass in the Granny?

This one's for Rebecca, who suggested one remedy for the Blogger Blahs might be an explanation about how I came by my "sassy" handle. 

"Don't you sass me, young lady."  Words spoken by my mother with a clipped annoyance whenever I felt the need to express myself in a dynamic manner.  It was rare, since I wasn't a particular petulant or demanding child.  The fact is, I was quite good natured & compliant, rarely raising her ire.  These exchanges between she & I were uncommon.  Come to think of it, they weren't exchanges at all, but a one-sided application of humility.  She to me.

Sassy.  Merriam tells me that it means:  impudent; vigorous & lively; distinctively smart & stylish.  I raised two sons & one daughter.  My boys were sassy in the vigorous context; my daughter the impudent one.  In both case they were just darn smart, often exercising their particular brand of sassiness to outsmart me.  It rarely worked, just as mine didn't with my own mother. 

In truth, when I claimed my pen name of Sassy Granny, it was with Savvy Granny in mind.  There's a huge gap in meaning between the two, savvy meaning practical know-how.  Try as I might, savvy was all used up in the various iterations I coveted: Savvy Granny, Savvy Sister, Savvy Sayings, Savvy Scenes, etc.?  My heart was set.  But alas, it was not meant to be.

Like so many sites will do, alternatives were offered:  Savvy Granny1234, or Saving Scenes, for instance.  I gagged.  Yet one had possibilities:  sassy.  I plugged my nose and quickly grabbed it.  Besides, there's something about being a granny with sass that is somewhat appealing (think Maxine). 

In hindsight, sassy suits me better anyway.  While I'm typically quite practical, I am far more often impudent.  Sometimes I just HAVE to make my point with a stylish twist.  It's in that context that mother's glare made itself known.  And it's in that context that I'm still digesting doses of humble pie today. 

So sassy it is; and, depending on the subject matter (as I'm sure you've noticed here over the past 4 years), you can be sure it'll be either impudent or distinctive, or sometimes even savvy.  


A Sassy Granny in training.

15 comments:

Rebecca said...

I ♥ it, Kathleen. And from now on I'll think of you as BOTH savvy and sassy!

Debbie said...

Good morning! I heard that phrase a time or two from my mother too, and I sure remember saying it to mine as well, haha. I LOVE your name. I guess I thought of a "Sassy Granny" was someone who was smart, modern looking, stylish, in the thick of things, totally engaged in life. Someone who wasn't afraid to speak out and stand strong for what she believes in and shout it from the rooftops if necessary. A big heart she's not too timid to share. This is what I have seen in you. : ) Now I have seen A LOT of savvy too. Soo I have with Rebecca, you will be known to me as Kathleen, the savvy, sassy granny! Have a wonderful day! HUGS

Just a little something from Judy said...

"Sassy" or "Savvy", I love visiting you here and find, after the years of visits, that both descriptions fit you, along with many other special descriptions. "Sassy" is my favorite though, because it just seems to fit you perfectly. The only name I do have trouble with though, is "granny". That does not fit you in my mind:), at least not the grannys in my past.

Karen Lange said...

Thanks for sharing this - it's nice to learn the story behind the name. I'm wondering if the word sassy shouldn't be redefined to include sparkly. What do you think? :) Cheering you on!

Nancy said...

Your mother and mine must have communicated behind our backs because I heard that a few times myself and to tell you the truth when I first visited your blog and saw your name I thought she and I must be kindred spirits because I can identify with the name Sassy Granny....When I think of sassy I think of strong, willing to speak her mind in a good way, quick whit and of course granny means you have grandchildren...
You have proven all of the above characteristics in your posts and that has brought much admiration from me.

I must add I love the picture of you on the pony...see I think it takes sass to ride a horse and I love horses....sass is a good word and I like your name....

Hugs and blessings,
Nancy

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

My Mom has a similar picture of me on a pony. :)

Aren't those suggestions they give you awful? I've had my fair share. Thanks for a peek at the origins of Sassy Granny.

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Whether it be Savvy or Sassy we all love your perspective, your ability to turn a phrase!

A week without a little Sassy Granny is no fun at all!

I think we all go through those blogging dry spells.....

Blessings
R

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Great post..I think your blog title fits you well.

I enjoyed..thanks for sharing.

Denise said...

Woo Hoo, love it, and love you my friend.

Sonja said...

Love the 'little sassy' picture. Remember, the name Sassy Granny was the second blog I ever saw, so it sure drew me right over to yor page. I think the name is perfect, the only one better for you my friend would be 'Classy Sassy Granny'!...

Loren said...

Sassy. Savvy. No matter which name you use, you are just downright special!

Blogger Blahs? how about blogger disappearance? LOL It's funny, I can think of tons of posts when I haven't typed a word in 3 weeks! LOL Hope to be back maybe tomorrow!

Loren said...

p.s. You're just too adorable on your pony :) definitely savvy and sassy all rolled into one ~

Cheryl Barker said...

I think Sassy Granny is great. Must have been meant to be, huh? :)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've always loved your sassy side. And to think... we've been together in this blogging journey from almost the very beginning of our adventures. You were, perhaps, my first friend!

Love you.

peace~elaine

Peggy said...

I love your "sassy" blog!