Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Forever a Boomer

1948 - the year that ...
  • Ted Mack's Original Amatuer Hour began
  • Mahatma Ghanda was assassinated 
  • President Henry Truman promoted civil rights
  • NASCAR was incorporated
  • The 20th Academy Awards ceremony took place
  • New York subway fares spiked from 5 cents to 10
  • Israel defended itself throughout the year & defeated a lethal cadre of enemies to become an independant nation for the first time since 70 A.D.
  • Babe Ruth bid farewell to Yankee Stadium; then passed away a few, short months later
  • Queen Wilhelmina abdicated the Dutch throne
  • Ireland voted for independance from the U.K.
  • The game of Scrabble made its debute
  • Hoppalong Cassidy premiered on television
  • Popular songs were:  Buttons & Bows/Dinah Shore, Now is the Hour/Bing Crosby, Because/Perry Como, Lavendar Blue/Sammy Kaye
... And I was born



A postwar baby, I would forever join the ranks of the Boomers -- a select group born between 1946 & 1964.  We Boomers are now among the leading edge of retirees, advancing headlong into our senior years.  We are not going quietly.

There is much about my generation that I take issue with, but this I know:  We are a contingent that does not take quickly or kindly to inaction.  We are among the first to embrace intentionality & personal accountability.  We follow on the heels of the Greatest Generation, which is to say we know what it means to honor God with one's whole life, to cherish family and to do without.  Though a somewhat rebellious lot, we eventually learned to cherish & fiercely guard the freedoms this country & our God-fearing parents espouse. 

It is a good day to be 64.

16 comments:

Rebecca said...

Happy BIRTHDAY, Kathleen! We share more than our love for Jesus! We share a birth year! Yay for '48.

Let me know how 64 goes for you. I'm just a few months behind :)

Glenda said...

Happy Birthday from one boomer to another!! I'm not far behind you!

Cheryl Barker said...

Happy Birthday, Kathleen! Hope you have a beautiful birthday filled with sweet surprises!

Ray Barnes said...

A very Happy Birthday Kathleen, and as many more as you would like in good health.

Sonja said...

We're in that same 40's boat together!! I think you and I are the 'old people' on these blogging pages. Funny though, I feel better than ever and age has definitely become a relative thing.

Having said that... Happy Birthday my friend. I hope this is the year that becomes your very best yet! It's for sure we ought to have gained at least a little wisdom by now, and yet I feel like I'm just learning some of the basics! Maybe it's always like that. My mom used to tell me that you will be learning and growing until the day God takes you home.

Blessings! Blessings! Blessings! :)

Nezzy said...

Well girl, here's givin' ya my best shout out....

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET KATHLEEN!

I hope your day is filled with fun, family and heaps of cake piled high with delicious icin'!!!

God bless ya and enjoy your day! :o)

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Happy Birthday and AMEN...you are part of a very special generation...and those of us who have come after you need to remember that and heed your generation's wisdom.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Well it ate my comment..LOL

Happy Birthday, and yes, your generation is a very special generation and those of us who have come after need to take heed to the wisdom you all possess. Thanks for always sharing that here on your blog.

Have a wonderful birthday!!

Maryann said...

Happy Birthday Kathleen from a fellow boomer :) Hope it was a wonderful day

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday girlfriend.....I am definitely in the same boat with you and Sonja as the mature ones of the blogging world....but girl we are in a good place and God is teaching us to fly higher than we ever thought possible.....

I pray your next year will be filled with adventures that God has created especially for you....

Denise said...

So glad you were born my friend, keep booming on. I love you. Happy Birthday.

Saleslady371 said...

Happy birthday, dear Kathleen. May the Lord bless you with extra favor for you are a blessing to Him and us. I like being in the boat with you, Sonja, and Nancy in this blogging world! Let's sail along.

Hugs & smooches,
Mary

Debbie said...

It was a great day when you were born. And did you know in that same year in May that Billy Graham's daughter Ann Graham Lotz was born. She always shares about the birth of Israel in that month and that year.

I may be a few years behind you (58) but I'm a boomer too. And I love that!

You are such a wonderful fun filled woman of God. I am so grateful to know you both online and off. May we always encourage one another as we travel these paths. Thanks for the memories.

Love you and happy birthday,
Debbie

Debbie said...

Happy birthday Kathleen! As a fellow boomer (I'm 57) I am right there with you, and agree so with what you have said about us! May the Lord richly bless you this year, and for many more years to come! HUGS

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

A good year for the world! Who knew that you and Queen Willa would share the spotlight?!

I love the fact that you were born and that we're connected through the grace and hold of Jesus Christ. And I love even more that you don't plan on finishing quietly!

Blessings and peace to you this year.

~elaine

Just a little something from Judy said...

Happy Belated Birthday Kathleen! Age is just the number of years that the world has been enjoying you! You certainly age beautifully on the inside and the outside!