Friday, January 6, 2012

What Sisters Do

It never occurred to my parents that their four daughters would one day find themselves spread out, far apart.  Theirs was a community of proximity, where family lived & held tightly together.   Mother worked hard at that tether.  She watched for fraying & tatters, applying lavish doses of nurture & love (sometimes with a sharp tongue) to ensure her girls were a permanent thread in the fabric that comprised our collective lives.  She took no easy road & made no lazy effort to gather & foster her brood.

Today we four sisters live miles - - states & countries - - apart.  Yet proximity is not an issue.  Funny how easy it is to remain connected when one purposes to do so.

Two weeks from today we four shall gather in Arizona where #2 sister, Barbara resides.  #3 sister, Carol will make her way from Mexico, while #1 sister, Dolores & I (forever #4, the baby) fly the friendly skies from here in WA State to join them.  For the better part of a week we will do what sisters do, at least these sisters - seize the opportunity to fortify bonds, checking for ourselves those frays or tatters that occupied our mother.  We will laugh & chatter, pour over God's word together, shop, munch & make memories.  It is to honor each other, but to honor mother & daddy too.  They would be proud.

So am I.


Sisters are different flowers 
from the same garden.  
~Author Unknown


 
She is your mirror, shining back at you 
with a world of possibilities.  
She is your witness, who sees you at your worst 
and best, and loves you anyway.  
She is your partner in crime, 
your midnight companion, someone who knows 
when you are smiling, even in the dark.  
She is your teacher, your defense attorney, 
your personal press agent, even your shrink.  
Some days, she's the reason you 
wish you were an only child.  
~Barbara Alpert


 

13 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh what a wonderful post...I have soo come to understand my mother the older and older I have gotten. She too worked sooo hard to keep up all connected (there are 4 of us girls too) And I feel the same way now about keeping my kids that way. There is no bond quite like that of a sister. How blessed I have been. I am very happy for you that you will spend this time with yours. How fun that would be! ENJOY every minute. HUGS

rcubes said...

I never had a sis but bros. and my mom was that way, too, wanting us always in touch especially when she's Home. That's awesome and I could feel the excitement now for all of you. God bless and protect you all! God be with you as you travel.

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Praying for a wonderful visit with your sisters!


Blessings
R

skoots1mom said...

i love recalling family memories with my sister; and making new ones...these are the things I hurt for (regarding my only child...I wanted her to have these things, too) but I have to rely on God to walk ahead of her; and she is good at loving her friends...so He will take care of it.
Have fun and enjoy every minute!!

Nel said...

You will have a wonderful time. I never had sisters but I do have a few cousins that I am really close with and what a time we have when we are together! Nothing like family!
until next time... nel

Rebecca said...

Sounds like a "dream" trip and visit. I can't begin to imagine the times you'll enjoy together!

Denise said...

That sounds so nice my friend, enjoy your visit.

Sonja said...

oh brother!!! Tears on this one Kathleen... you are describing my own sister and I, perfectly! And the counsel from your mother through the years... you do have a way of expressing my own heart!

HAVE AN ABSOLUTE BALL and give each sister a hug from me! :)

xo

Maryann said...

I hope you all have a wonderful time. I have two sisters myself, I'm the only one who lives out of state, we are jut starting to reconnect...it's a wonderful gift

Debbie said...

What a special gift this is for each one of you sisters! The weather is beautiful in AZ so I know you will enjoy.

I hope we get to share a cup of coffee even if it's a short one.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Saleslady371 said...

Sisters who take the time to gather regularly like you girls is a blessing and witness to the world of Christ's love. I look forward to the photos and hearing all about it.

Just a little something from Judy said...

What fun! I can just imagine what it would be like to on the sidelines of a treasured visit like you all will have. I commend you all on the effort put into creating a time like this. I pray that God will give you over and above what you anticipate. Which one of you fulfills the role of the leader? I like the poem at the end and find it so true.

Beth E. said...

This sounds wonderful! My sister and I live about 6-7 hrs. apart. We are close, but have never taken the opportunity to get away together, other than a couple of weekend trips. Truth be told, I never thought of doing it! Thanks for a great idea!