Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Thing of Beauty

Reaching deep within the reservoir where my memories are stored, I discovered anew something quite old yet refreshingly youthful.  I dare say it is as beautiful today as it was when first stored in the keeping-place. 

In my youth, the grade school I attended allowed the "big" kids (7th & 8th graders) to attend the Seattle Symphony twice a year.  The first time I had such an opportunity I was anything but enthused.  Mostly I was excited about the bus excursion that would allow we prepubescent energy balls to giggle & wiggle to & fro.  Then, when I realized I was to sit in a balcony, I knew I had been born for such a heady experience. 

To my surprise & amazement, the bus trip & beckoning balcony were nothing as compared with being captivated by the symphony's performance.  Never had I sat in the presence of so many musical notes, each & all colliding to create the most fantastic sounds.   I was smitten.


Beauty comes at rare times and in rare forms.  It's not always easy to see or to hear, or even to define.  But we know it when we come upon it.  It is then that we place it carefully into the reservoir that is quintessentially for beautiful things.  Then, on days like today when we're rummaging around for a beautiful thought or remembrance, there it is. 

I've heard it said:   "Beauty is to love what Christ loves.", so that's become my subscription.   I have concluded it to be the vital ingredient in all recipes calling for beauty.   No doubt that's what Bach, Mendelssohn, Handel & other Christian composers had in mind when they orchestrated the great, stirring & beautiful instrumentations that seized me as a young girl.

Some say "Art imitates life".  I'm not so sure. 

Where beauty is concerned, I have concluded - rightly or wrongly - that life imitates art.

Thus it is that the year to live beautifully insists I discover new and anew all that Christ loves.

... whatever is true, whatever is noble, 
whatever is right, whatever is pure, 
whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—
think about such things.
Philippians 4:8

9 comments:

Karen Lange said...

Yes, think on these things! Thank you for this beautiful reminder. :)

Nancy said...

"Beauty is to love what Christ loves"....I love this..An entirely new way of looking at all the beauty that surrounds us. I too want to start looking for this kind of beauty......

I love your writing, the way you express yourself is awesome....

Great post...

Rebecca said...

Now you've really got me thinking, Kathleen. For some reason my mind went to the movie title, "Life is Beautiful". Maybe life is meant to BE art not just "imitate it". Hmmmmmm.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Handel's Messiah makes my heart soar! I love classical music.

Denise said...

Such a lovely reminder.

RCUBEs said...

I was just meditating on that particular passage when I was doing my devotion early in the morning. And what a beautiful way it always is to start the day with His Word! No matter what comes our way, His gift of joy is truly a sweet music to our ears!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I came upon it tonight... a most beautiful thing while reading a book to my children. We were completing the novel... one I read to my older two when they were Jadon and Amelia's ages. And I started to cry for a few reasons. And while the ending of the book didn't necessarily require tears (although I'm sure the author would be moved by the thought), they came anyway.

And it was really a beautiful thing. Maybe I'll write about it at the blog this week.

peace~elaine

Beth E. said...

I experienced that kind of beauty over the weekend, and oh, how it encouraged and blessed me!

Hugs...

P.S. I love the symphony...just don't get to experience it often, here in the AppaLATCHian Mountains! ;-)

Debbie said...

I love the symphony too. When I was in a different season of my life, I had season tickets to the Phoenix Symphony. I so enjoyed this music.

Kathleen, you have such a beautiful way with words. And the Scripture verse is one I have memorized and try to live out.

Blessings and love,
Debbie