Saturday, January 21, 2012

Dog Sled Diaries


What a week it's been in the Pacific Northwest!  Many of you have seen news footage of the snow & ice that assaulted us - - a rather rare phenomenon for this part of the world.   On the one hand, a very welcome & magical wonderland.  On the other, a wicked descent into all things cold & immovable & crunchy. 

For several days we were without power or ... rather ... I was without power.  Hubby left town before the storm's onset, having made his way to a conference in WARM Palm Springs a few days prior.  That meant the pioneer in me kicked into roughing it gear; and rough it I did! 

Some 500,000+ people in the region have been without power for several days.  The storm's rarity-quotient means few, including utilities & road crews are prepared for such as this.  The fact that it included an ice storm meant the assault was particularly virulent, packing a one/two punch!

On Thursday I managed to disable the automatic garage-door-opener to pull my Toyota Highlander out onto the banana peel streets in my neighborhood.  It handles well in most conditions, and I was hopeful it would make it to my sister's so we could run a few much-needed errands.  That's what pioneers do (cheesy grin).  We actually had a good time since we had most roads to ourselves, but I was glad to return home before the temps plummeted again into the 20s. 

All through each dark night it was eerie listening to the ice-encrusted Pine Trees giving up their snow & ice-laden limbs with loud cracks, followed by equally loud thuds as they fell to the ground.  I had visions of one-such thud coming through my roof, and that to disturb my sleeplessness. 

Well, I survived the ordeal - - for surely it was all of that!.  In fact, yesterday my son delivered my sister Dolores & me to the airport where we proceeded to board a plane for Phoenix to meet up with sisters Barbara & Carol.  With a very convincing and certainly Christian neener-neener we bid farewell to the white world beneath us. 

I survived AND I escaped to live another day ... this one in Phoenix.


P.S.  Years ago I purchased a crank radio, and I can tell you I was very grateful to have it as a link to the outside world since I had no T.V., no internet, and even no phone when my battery went dead.  If you don't have one, all I can say is "get one"!  They're relatively inexpensive & a must have

18 comments:

Denise said...

So glad you are ok my friend.

Debbie said...

WOW!! I am glad everything turned out OK. I will tell you honestly I don't know how I would do all alone in an ice storm...kind of scary. I think my attitude would have "neener-neener" too as I flew off, haha. ENJOY your time with your sisters! HUGS

Nancy said...

Mercy Girlfriend, you were tossed into a pioneer woman mode weren't you....and you did "good".....WOW to venture out into that mess, you are a brave soul......

I am glad you were able to fly out to be with your sisters and to warmer and more manageable weather conditions.....Have fun and maybe it will be gone when you return....

skoots1mom said...

did you have to move everything in your freezer to an outside location until the power came back?
i have lost a freezer in those kinds of conditions and it is costly.
so happy you're alive to enjoy many more days

Debbie said...

So glad for your safe arrival in our warmer state. I'm praying that my day is not full of hospitals, etc so I can have an opportunity to see your face even if it's briefly. I'll keep in touch.

Love you,
Debbie

Ray Barnes said...

Hi Kathleen. What a varied life you lead.
It sounds like Alaska up there.
Glad you survived unscathed.
Beautiful picture btw but I'll bet it looked better than it felt.

RCUBEs said...

Heard about this blizzard of yours and though how frightening it must be for some, the pics you included are beautiful!

Glad to hear you made it safely to AZ and what a difference it must be with the beauty of the sun and "snow-less" surroundings. May the Lord bless you and protect you all as you travel. I'm sure it's a fun time for you and your sisters.

Glad you reminded us about having a crank radio. My hubby had been trying to look for one and we almost forgot. Time to shop! :)

God bless.

Thoughts for the day said...

How in the world did you disable a garage door? I had that happen to me and it would not budge couldn't make it open for the life of me. My hubby finally came home and with brut strength shoved it up but was it a major task thought he was going to have a heart attack. wow I am impressed if you did that alone. (we had a beautiful few days here in Oregon)

Maryann said...

we have one of those crank radios for just such emergencies, sweet husband chuckled when I bought it but we have used it. GLad the weather did not delay your trip...enjoy

manthano said...

Was concerned about you and your family when I read the news reports about the weather and power outage.
Thank God he was watching over you.

Beth E. said...

We went through a similar snow experience a couple of years ago. It was quite an experience. Some people were without power for over a month. The ice-laden trees brought down power lines and poles. Stores ran out of food, gas stations ran out of gas (no trucks bringing in supplies and fuel). We make sure now that we have plenty of water, canned food, and lamp oil for winter!

I know you are enjoying warmer weather AND your time with your sisters. Have a blast!

a woman who is said...

So glad your okay. It was a bit rough over here too, but I wasn't alone, and no power loss. I was very proud of your garage door antic's. Nothing will stop a pioneer woman hehe! You have a great time in the sun and have a little compassion for those of us left behind...enduring the PNW for the rest of the winter =}

Cheryl Barker said...

We know all about weather like this in Kansas, though we haven't had anything this bad yet this season. Guess you're getting our winter weather instead of us! :)

Just a little something from Judy said...

Now for the first time in many years, I find myself thankful for our crank radio. This pictures certainly do give me a good idea as to what you lived through. After a week like you had, I am sure you are happier than ever to be in the warm climate, with your sisters. Enjoy my friend!

Peggy said...

I'm glad you survived your ordeal in true pioneer style. We had a massive ice storm where I live a couple years ago so I know what you mean about the cracking tree branches-sounds like gunshots going off. Beautiful but dangerous. Glad you are safe.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

I'm glad you're safe and managed to get out of town. :)

This brings back memories of last year when we got slammed with multiple blizzards in one month. Thankfully, we've had a mild winter after several bad ones.

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Winter weather and all's it's pro's and con's.....beautiful to look at the snow covered landscape but not so much when you don't have power. We don't get a lot of winter nastiness but when we do it usually shuts everything down.

Brrrr.......

Blessings
R

Nel said...

What an experience, so glad the pioneer part of you came to surface...lol. I have actually thought about getting one of those crank radios, you may have helped me make up my mind. We have a battery operated one... but who keeps that many extra batteries. Your pictures are beautiful! Enjoy yourself with your sisters!
untile next time... nel