Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Bedrock

No, this post is not about the mossy, dinosaur laden, rock-quarry burg inhabited by Fred & Wilma Flintstone - - although you must agree that Bedrock might well be a fine place of origin?

Origins.  Now that's the real context of this post.  

Bedrock is the bottom line; the very place from which things emanate, including origins.  It's where I've intended to go this year, as if set upon a real trek towards a real destination - - as real as Fred & Wilma's hometown, or my own.

Today's bedrock:  trust.  


All over the blogosphere I have encountered many of you visiting that place.  Some have claimed it as their word for the year.  Others have connected it to an AHA! moment.  Still others have felt compelled to remind us of it's value.  And don't we need reminding?  No matter the reason, many of us have come home to trust, a bedrock position if there be any.

What about trust makes it such a seminal element?  

Here's what I have concluded:  Without trust, none of the other bedrock locales are easily located, much less visited. Without trust, we do not have faith; we do not obey.  We cannot see past our own devices.  We mistakenly crown someone or something else (aka bank account, good looks, etc.) that cornerstone from which we derive security.  So long as it or they stay put, we trust.  They move, we're shattered.  Not very bedrocky.

Thus trust is bedrock; the sure foundation for those needful things that simply must begin there.  We may crown some other with it's prestigious title, but genuine trust takes a dim view of any & all counterfeits or usurpers.

Oh, that's not to say I don't trust people or things.  I trust my car to start & perform according to the manufacturer's specifications provided I give it proper care & maintenance.  I trust my Social Security check will arrive on time provided the government doesn't go bankrupt or deem me unworthy.  I trust my bathroom scales to reveal the true nature of my late-night refrigerator raids.  

But all those aforementioned trusts are conditional.  Their bedrock is based on some other bedrock; something required to keep them foundational, and even functional.  Not so true bedrock.  Like gravity, it is sure & solid & steadfast no matter what; and whether or not I place my trust in it or not.  

Bedrock never hinges on me.  

How simple would life be were I to simply trust that which alone is trustworthy?

Now this I know:
The LORD gives victory to his anointed.
He answers him from his heavenly sanctuary
with the victorious power of his right hand.
Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.
Psalm 20:6-7

Fear of man will prove to be a snare,
but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe.  
Proverbs 29:25  



8 comments:

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Amen...as I stand on the only source of true bedrock having seen that everything else is sinking sand...great word..thanks

Sonja said...

"Bedrock never hinges on me"...

Whatever I do doesn't change one thing about Him. THAT is the core and difference... He never changes. I do... He does NOT!

It's ALL the difference, and nothing else BUT that makes our faith valid... that God does not change.

Bedrock... my new word today! :)

skoots1mom said...

He..The Word...will stand 4ever ;)

Loren said...

Amen Kathleen... having placed my trust @ times in those Not Very Bedrocky things and/or people has brought disappointment and consequences. (at times, very BIG consequences!) Thank the Lord that HE provides the way to HIM and through HIS Word I found the TRUTH ~ it is only in HIM that I can place my Trust!
HE is the Chief Cornerstone, the GREAT Foundation.
Forever & Ever!

love you my friend! Great word today!!

Maryann said...

"bedrock never hinges on me" so glad it doesn't!!!

Denise said...

Another awesome post.

Cheryl Barker said...

Like several others, I, too, am so thankful that bedrock never hinges on me. I'd be in a heap of trouble if it did! By the way, love the new word you coined -- "bedrocky" :)

Trusting Him with you, Kathleen!

Just a little something from Judy said...

How blessed we are to have our bedrock in our Soverign, Almighty, God! We can be ever so grateful that it is all about Him and not about me. My bedrock is shifting sand, and so often He lovingly shows me that. Today's visit to "Sassy Granny", is another example of His guiding in my life, via gentle reminders of how fleeting my bedrock is. Great post!


ps. I read this one without opening my dictionary, imagine that:)