Thursday, December 1, 2011

Winter's Charm

The color of springtime is in the flowers,
 the color of winter is in the imagination. 
~Terri Guillemets

It won't be long and many of you will be hosting pictures & tales of of winterscapes.  Some of you are already dreaming of a white Christmas.  Likely I won't be joining you.  You see, Winter in the Pacific Northwest - at least along the coastal regions - is mostly wet.  Our soupy naturescapes find it difficult to compete with Winter-Wonderlands.

Yet from where I perch I am ever reminded of Winter's glories.  Forever reigning over the valleys Orting, Sumner, Puyallup & others is the stately, 14,000' Mt. Rainier.  Winter has arrived up there.  I know.  I can see if from my perch.




I thought by now I'd surely be homesick for Arizona's sunny skies and warm climes.  Afterall, wet is a condition that often accompanies gray & gloomy.  No such thing exists in Arizona.  So far, homesickness has not afflicted me; and many a day I find myself enraptured anew by God's unique touches on the water soaked sod beneath Mt. Rainier's gaze and my feet.   

Oh well, it's never too foolish to dream of a white Christmas.  They're rare here, but not impossible.  My mind & heart are spattered with memories of them from my childhood, and from the childhoods of my own children.  Laughter accompanies such thoughts.

So I look to the hills, watch the temperatures, and dream a little dream or two.   Never mind checking signals with our weather prognosticators.  They're customarily wrong anyway - -   false prophets of the worst sort.

Should I grow tired of dreaming, I can always don my snow boots and head to the hills, where I can be absolutely certain Winter is living out it's destiny.

Winter came down to our home one night
Quietly pirouetting in on silvery-toed slippers of snow,
And we, we were children once again.
~Bill Morgan, Jr.






In the depth of  Winter, I finally learned
that within me lay an invincible Summer. 
~ Albert Camus

11 comments:

Denise said...

Enjoyed this my friend.

Cheryl Barker said...

Wow, Mt. Ranier for a view! That's some food for the spirit everyday, huh?!

Ray Barnes said...

I liked this post Kathleen. There is after all, something to be said for accepting (as gracefully as we can) what we are offered.
Unlike you, however, my only interest in snow is in pictures - preferably someone else's - viewed in warmth and comfort.
As to my views on wet weather, I have blogged on the subject previously, but will just say, you are very welcome to my share.!

Nel said...

Your pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing the words from your heart!
until next time... nel

RCUBEs said...

Not only do I love the much cooler temp the snow brings but the great reminder of how His blood washes our scarlet sins into white...like snow... The sight of snow-capped mountains is always alluring...that I know you will definitely don your boots!!!

Saleslady371 said...

I'm a lover of winter and snow so I really like your post today. Like you, all I have to do is put on the boots and dress warm and head up sixty miles to Flag and enjoy the mountains. It's there for the taking!

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Your part of the country is just beautiful....what a creative God we serve...snow or sunshine

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I'm glad you are enjoying your new area-with the wet weather but you've got the view. I love the snow and we've got it today but somehow a warm climate has its appeal too.
Have a delightful afternoon.
Hugs, Noreen

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen!

I so loved the view of Mt. Rainer when we were in Washington a few weeks ago. You are completely right in regards to the weather man, it seems like their forecasts change as quickly as they take another peek out their windows!

I too, am dreaming of a white Christmas~!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Just a little something from Judy said...

You seem to be able to accept what you cannot change. I picked that up from this post. After living on the West Coast for a while, I remember vividly the rain and the more rain. I also remember the exquisite beauty of Mr. Rainer. I can't imagine having a view before me of that mountain.

Even here where I live, I find myself dreaming of a white Christmas. It is fun to remember and to dream once in a while.

faith hope love ღ said...

nice post! thanks for sharing... God bless you...loves soraya