Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Resolving to Resolve

It's a powerful little word, resolve.  When I hear or read it I immediately think legalese; about how "I hereby & hereunder do, to wit, to resolve ...", as if selling a parcel of land, or turning over an estate to some worthy beneficiary, or issuing a penalty sentence.  

In both of its verb states (transitive & intransitive), resolve has facets that vary, like the facets or surfaces of a diamond.  Those facets give it its powerful appointment; and what they have in common is this:  they determine or form a resolution; deliberate & conclude. 

Resolve shows up in our English vernacular in the 14th century, where it derives from the Latin word resolvere.  That is to say:  to unloose; dissolve.  Thus is has the potential for being powerfully positive, or powerfully negative.  Like any choice we make, what we resolve has far-reaching implications. 

But Daniel resolved not to defile himself
with the royal food and wine,
and he asked the chief official for permission
not to defile himself this way. 
Daniel 1:8  (NIV)

Other translations render the word "purposed" or "determined".  But whatever translation you use, the word is decidedly decided! 

If you (religious leaders) do not listen,
and if you do not
resolve to honor my name,”
says the LORD Almighty,
“I will send a curse on you,
and I will curse your blessings.
Yes, I have already cursed them,
because you have not resolved to honor me.
Malachi 2:2

Today I want to resolve to resolve some things.   I'm not talking New Year's Resolutions here ... We all know how they typically go anyway (unresolved).   I'm also not talking big things, but all the little ways in which I might be compromising.   An accumulation of small stuff can become quite a mound.

I'll take Daniel's resolve over the leader's un-resolve any day.   Trouble is, the latter is far easier than the former.





Who, then, are those who fear the LORD?
He will instruct them in the
ways they should choose. 
They will spend their days in prosperity,
and their descendants will inherit the land. 
The LORD confides in those who fear him;
he makes his covenant known to them.
Psalm 25:12-14

   

7 comments:

Saleslady371 said...

For sure the greatest priority is the resolve to follow Jesus and honor Him; it seems everything else falls in place after that.

Just a little something from Judy said...

So often my resolve goes the way of our leaders too. God knows my heart and thank goodness, He also knows my weaknesses also. What a God we serve!

Denise said...

Such wisdom my friend.

Sonja said...

Resolve... what a great word, and your word pictures are a pin prick to my own life... how about I RESOLVE to be more INTENTIONAL!! :)

Rebecca said...

Determined, purposeful...these are qualities that I "resolve" to re-charge in the coming year. My birthday is coming up - always a time of excitement as I close the books on one year and open a fresh one...

Your post is especially well-timed for me.

RCUBEs said...

How I love when the Lord speaks through friend bloggers...First I went to one who talked about "forgiveness" then now, with yours, "resolve"...I don't think I need His discernment with what I have on my hands...He is "telling" me what to do...Now, it's time for me to "obey"....Thank you for this.

Karen Lange said...

I'm with you. Resolving to resolve is a good thing. :)