Monday, December 26, 2011

Life in the Rearview Mirror

There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page and closing the book
~ Josh Jameson



Have you ever noticed the little words imprinted on your car's rearview mirrors: "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear." ?  Apparently it's a warning in order that understand the device's peculiarities in order to benefit from its usefulness.  It's an aid for navigation; one that can also compensate for the vehicle's blind spot.  And don't we all loathe that vacant void that isn't, in reality, so very void at all?!

Interesting wisdom.

I'm not a huge fan of hindsight.  I've been told it's 20/20, whereas foresight is much less accurate.  Not sure who coined that particular factoid, but it's highly suspect, if you ask me.  I would much prefer to choose rightly going forward rather than have to assess what I'd done - rightly or wrongly - by looking back, especially by looking back via a rearview mirror.  Not only do things look closer from than perspective, but the blind spots are much more troublesome.

Forwards or backwards, I still don't know what I don't know.  I am forced (dare I say, blessed?) to be dependant upon maps & signage; upon a certain degree of trust in road maintenance crews & Highway Patrolmen.  Then there are those items that are simply part of the journey and not to be fussed over too intensely.




2011 is swiftly melting away like Frosty on a too-warm day.  Already my reflections cause its nearly 365 days to look closer than they are in reality.  How do I know that?  Because 2011's days are nearly ended when it seems they just began!  Then there's the fact that I'm always 32 years old in my rearview mirror.  That may well be due to a blind spot, if not the mirror's "closer than they look" peculiarity.    

Hindsight is rarely 20/20, no matter what they (whoever they are) tell us.  Oh, I do believe I see things a bit more clearly ... perhaps.  Then again, distortion is ever a hazard.   Rearview stuff always means I have to take my eyes off the road which is, in turn, rather dangerous all by itself. 

Still, I take stock of all that lays behind so I can navigate more intelligently going forward.   Theoretically I'll then know best when & how to make a turn, or to pass, or hit the brakes.  I'll not be inclined to run off the road or take a detour that may well lead me into hazardous realms. 

I best remember all the benefits & drawbacks of the rearview mirror's positioning.  It's a tool ... nothing more, nothing less.  And how I use it will determine which category it falls into. 

Interesting wisdom.


  Just because it's not what you were expecting,
doesn't mean it's not everything you've been waiting for...
~ Unknown

 

13 comments:

Debbie said...

Wise words Kathleen! The only reason I look back is to learn from it. There are many things I don't want to repeat. I want to learn from my mistakes.

However, we are to look forward and to persevere. We can be hopeful for tomorrow because we can live in Christ today.

Keep on sharing those words of wisdom. I am one who is listening friend.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Shirley said...

Love that quote!

Rebecca said...

Your musings fit mine as I come to grips with a birthday I still have trouble getting a handle on! Where DO the years go?

NanaNor's said...

Kathleen, What a thought provoking post and like others, I hope I learn from mistakes. I often don't see the Lord's hand in everyday happenings but when I gaze back I clearly see Him. So many opportunities in the future. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs, Noreen

manthano said...

Appreciate the insight.
THANKS.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I only asked for one gift this Christmas... Billy Graham's latest book, "Nearing Home." I didn't want it on my Kindle... wanted to be able to hold it in my hands and highlight quotable thoughts for my heart. Anyway, the first chapter is all about looking back and remembering and recalling our "thus far... the Lord has brought us... kept us... protected and led us."

I'm not a fan of those blind spots nor taking my sights off the road in front of me, but just last night, I allowed myself a few lingering moments of grateful thanks for my "thus far."

One thing is for certain, we're headed in the right and good direction. The right direction. So glad to be stepping the road with you, Sassy. May God be close to you as you make entrance into his "next" for you in 2012.

I love you.

peace~elaine

Sonja said...

Such a good illustration Kathleen, the rear view mirror...

Hindsight, what a word. I've both learned from and been sickened by that view. But the learning has brought me to the view of today, and while I keep that rear view mirror working, my joy is the view out the front window.

Happy 2012, it's going to be full of surprises! xo

skoots1mom said...

i always 'back' into my garage so i don't have to back out of my driveway.

i've grown much better at using my rear-view mirrors...pulling out onto the street is much safer seeing out the front with the larger window.

May your 2012 mirror remain clear and fog-free; so you can see every blessing as vivid as God intends it. ;)

Denise said...

Bless you wise one.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Oh AMEN.."It's a tool...nothing more, nothing less" You said it and that is where I am right now using that tool as I glance back and move forward. I want to use my glance to further my walk, but not to stop me in my tracks.

Blessings...great, great word! I am always challenged and nudged when I come here..thanks for using your gift.

Nancy said...

Great insights in this post....I have a new car that has blind spot mirrors. Now wouldn't that be nice in life but then I guess we wouldn't have to trust the Father if we had them.....God knows the way we should go and if we allow Him He promises to guide us onto the right paths....

Have a great week my friend....

Rosezilla said...

What a lovely, wise, insightful post! It is too easy to get caught up in the past, and miss the present. And although sometimes we can see things more clearly after time goes by, often we just wallow in the past mistakes or hurts without really understanding them any better. Best to let them go and move forward; allow ourselves and our loved ones to grow and learn. "Grow old along with me; the best is yet to be!"

Just a little something from Judy said...

I just read through your last three posts, actually I read through them twice. What a great mind God has blessed you with! I will never look in my rear view mirror again, without thinking of you, or without being reminded of where I've been, that the perspective might not be like I think, and that I must remember that what I see in there, is past. The view ahead of me has it's own blindspots, causing me to be so very thankful for my Guide. I am also thankful for you and what I learn from you.