Saturday, December 3, 2011

Granny Go-Go

With all of December's customary doings, I've added Nanny-Granny (not "ninny") to mine.  For the past week I've been hanging out (code for chauffeur, shopping advisor, chef, fan) with my 15 year old granddaughter while a certain set of parents vacation in Hawaii for ten days (poor dears). 

I'll leave here this week to pick up the Nanny Train again with yet another set of grandchildren while certain other parents celebrate their anniversary with a four day, cross country skiing getaway. 

In the midst of it all, I drop by home to gather my wits & enjoy a bit of time with hubby.  He has opted out of my current adventure.  Mostly he's delighted to have the channel tuner all to himself.

Grandchildren are God's way of
compensating us for growing old. 
~Mary H. Waldrip

As I made my way to school on Thursday for the fourth trip in one day, the thought occurred to me that I used to do all this stuff all the time, times three - - AND work full time.  Little wonder my unusually congenial & amazingly patient personna was anything BUT in those long-ago days.  Like trying to master the Rubix Cube, I'm still wondering how I did it?   It's pointless. 

There are many best parts to all of this, and only a few worst ones.  Being out of my routine, not getting my daily dose of 4 miles walking, eating on the fly & sitting for long periods has damaged the bath scale.  The worst part?  The darn thing is reading about 5 - 8 pounds too high.  Ugh!

Anyway, given my residence in reality I'm doing precious little visiting via the virtual.  Thus the Blogosphere suffers and, with it, my connection to friends here.   

I'll return ... of THAT you can be certain!   Hopefully the bath scales will be fixed by then.


14 comments:

Ray Barnes said...

Yeah. Bathroom scales. They do that don't they?

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, O.k. there must be some virus with the scales going around because mine is 5 lbs to heavy also; I can't say it's because of the grands though because we've only had them once last week. Must be those sweets that are so tempting and also that I haven't been walking as much or juicing. Hopefully the virus will pass soon and our scales will return to normal. Have a great weekend my friend.
Noreen

a woman who is said...

"Mostly he's delighted to have the channel tuner all to himself." LOL what's up with that? My husband seems to operate in the same mode when the grands are around. ;)

Your week sounded exhausting. I am just starting out on this adventure with babies and toddlers. I am wondering now how am I going to keep up with teenagers down the road...OH MY =)

Glad you are enjoying your moist fall =)

Denise said...

Your blog makes me smile.

manthano said...

Well!

Don't just stand there. Blame someone
else for the mess you are in.

Or, be glad you are still young enough
to enjoy it. That is what grand kids are
for, are they not?

Maryann said...

Drat those bathroom scales...hoping you are enjoying your time with those grands

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

My scales haven't been kind to me either, and I'm heading to mom's tomorrow. I'm going to try and get my walk in before leaving!

This is definitely a "go" season for me; I'm trying hard to keep up with everything...

Rest when you can and laugh a lot! These are good memory making days.

peace~elaine

Nel said...

What a fun time! I know when the grands went with us for a week to Florida in the summer it was a lot of fun, but dang I was tired! Enjoy them while you can, one of these days they won't have time for grandmas. Wish I lived closer to mine!
until next time... nel

Debbie said...

oh I identify with this all over the place. From wondering how on earth I ever did all the things I did, and at the same time...to KNOWING there has got to be something wrong with those scales...sigh. Time has a way of whipping by when I am knee deep in those grands. ENJOY, you'll be back to those routine days soon!

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Enjoy your break and your loved ones!

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Well having grand kids has to be worth the extra pounds...LOL I am sure the scale is off. I am also laughing because it seems like I always gain weight when a teen is in the house...too easy to give into teen food with them.

Enjoy your grand kids...

Rebecca said...

After only a few hours out of my "routine", I'm reeling! I can relate to the "wondering how I ever did this" question....

Re. the scale: Ugh! Don't you hate it?!

Just a little something from Judy said...

I can relate to every word on this post. I can't believe how helping with the little ones changes daily routines in drastic ways. The eliptical machine sits there waiting as I am helping out. I too wonder how it all got done those many years ago. But, we are also creating memories and that is a special gift(or so I am told):)

Terri Tiffany said...

Your time with your grandchildren sounds heavenly--even with the bath scales sneering at you:) I know you moved north to be part of all of this and now you are. Lovely!!