Saturday, November 12, 2011

Roaring Lessons

“I am sad and lonely.
Lay your hands on my mane
so that I can feel you are there
and let us walk like that.”
Aslan, from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe


It wasn't until my advanced years that I became a fan & semi-resident of Narnia.  I don't know what, exactly, it was about that place that compelled me, but I do know that I recognized Aslan right away.   At first the sight & sound of him scared me like nothing in this world had ever scared me before.  Then, once he beckoned me to lay my hand upon his mane, all dread diminished.   

I come-and-go from Narnia at will now, though I've found a way in and out that doesn't require a wardrobe.   I wish I could say I live there but, alas, that's not possible yet.  Aslan's kingdom, the whole of it, is yet to come.  Thus I enter & exit in great anticipation of that day. 

May I also say that the lion's roar has new meaning these days.   Long a National Geographic fan, I have seen enough Serengeti tales to know that lion's connote danger, complete with visions of sharp fangs & stalking predators.  Not so in my mind's eye.  To me, their roar serves to remind me of Aslan's power - power that will one day vanquish every true marauder; power that protects me in ways I cannot possibly fathom this side of Narnia.

The LORD shall go forth as a mighty man,
He shall stir up jealousy like a man of war:
He shall cry, yea, roar; He shall prevail against his enemies.
Isaiah 42:13

The LORD shall roar from on high,
and utter his voice from his holy habitation
Jeremiah 25:30

The LORD also shall roar out of Zion,
 and utter his voice from Jerusalem;
and the heavens and the earth shall shake:
but the LORD will be the hope of his people,
and the strength of the children of Israel.
Joel 3:16

What joy it is to count Narnia as my Homeland, and Aslan my King Who roars.

Once a king or queen of Narnia,
always a king or queen.
May your wisdom grace us until the stars
rain down from the heavens.
Aslan, from The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe


4 comments:

RCUBEs said...

And the Bible made it clear:

"That every knee shall bow, every tongue will confess...Jesus is Lord!"

The Lion of Judah!

Denise said...

I enjoyed this post, I am also a great Asian fan.

Pain to Purpose said...

I read the Chronicles of Narnia as a child and then again as an adult. I enjoyed it more as an adult!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Sometimes in my quiet moments, I contemplate some of the things God uses in this world to speak His message, and draw in His people, and I do think one of those would be "The Chronicles of Narnia". Only God is wise enough to come up with a series like this to speak His message. Who would have thought! I read these books to my daughters ofter over the years, and discovered new things each time. Someday, God will show us even more truths in this series. Well written!