Sunday, November 20, 2011

In All Things, Give Thanks

In these days leading up to Thanksgiving I have been mindful of just, exactly, how many are my blessings. Some of you have been counting your own, one-by-one on your blogs, so I know you're taking inventory too. It's as though a mighty chorus is enjoined to give thanks.

For the record, I seek to capture here just a few of my own.  The list is by no means exhaustive, as you can be sure we'd all be exhausted if I produced such a list.

1) Yesterday, the love of my life & I celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary. It was a quiet celebration: pancakes & bacon in the nook while we watched the first of 2011's snow fall. A trip to Lowe's (hubby's favorite vacation destination). We then began to drag out seasonal decorations while listening to Christmas music. Simple delights all.

2) At 63, I am so grateful that both Terry & I are in good health. We have annoying maladies, like arthritis, but nothing that prevents living life to the fullest. 


3)  What is any list of gratitudes without the inclusion of family & friends?  I dare not begin listing names or we'd be at this for days on end.  Yet there are a few I must include, for my heart is full beyond expectation because of them:  Brad, Megan, Erik & Allie; Molly, Tom, Rylie, Megan & Ava; Kelly, Katrina, Katheryne, Kelly, Kaden & Kole.  My children, their spouses & grandchildren.

(Photo:  Terry, Kathleen, Brad, Megan, Kaden, Allie, Kole, Kelly, Katrina, Katheryne, Rylie, Molly, Tom, Kelly, Erik.  Missing:  Megan & Ava).

4)  My parents, Helen Evelyn Grinnell-Wells & James Uvo Wells.  They're both in Heaven's Land, but I can assure you their impact is felt still.  Their love of faith & family & fun (and all things yummy, clean & orderly) is a precious legacy.  Dad's birthday, his 109th, was just this past Thursday.  I celebrated it with my own quiet remembrance & joy.  Mother, who turned 102 in August, left an imprint on my heart to remind me of how dear are her "girls", even for eternity.  How they loved us.

5)  My sisters have always had a special place in my life.  I'm the youngest of four, with Dolores being 15 years older; Barb 13; and Carol 7.  In some ways both Carol & I were raised as "onlies", but in all ways we are devoted to each other.  How I love them.

 
(Photo:  Carol, Dolores, Kathleen & Barbara)

6) I have not left the best for last.  It's not last at all but, rather, the crown.  How could any collection of blessings be complete without acknowledging the Giver of all Good Things?  From my birth - both physically & spiritually - He has blessed, guided, gifted, protected, placed, challenged, forgiven, lead, saved (and kept on saving) me.  Whatever & whoever I have in my life are His doing; His blessing.  Today I can even include some things I heretofore had not considered blessings but, with the passage of time, have also become so.


For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 comments:

RCUBEs said...

Happy Anniversary sister! I know there has to be a specific DNA among men that makes them inclined to go to Lowe's here and there! That's my hubby's fav.retreat, too!

If God's will is for us to always be thankful, the things you mentioned are truly the ones that matter the most in one's journey here! Despite the bumps we encounter along the way, the love of our Savior, family and friends have far more worth weighing in than being weighed down with life's trials. The pics are beautiful, because I could see the love among you! And through your written words, I could see your deep love for the One Who matters the most in your life! Yes, I'm thankful to the One Who gives us all these precious relationships in our lives...starting with His!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and may you always remain strong in His mighty power!

Debbie said...

How I love your list, and how much my heart echos yours. Soo much to be thankful for. Congratulations on 45 years!! What a wonderful thing. We made two trips to Lowe's yesterday too, what is it about that place that attracts those guys? Have a warm and wonderful Sunday! HUGS

Denise said...

I love your beautiful thankful heart.

Rebecca said...

Happy Anniversary, Kathleen! Enjoying your thankful spirit here, and joining you in praise for the most basic and daily blessings His goodness sends...

skoots1mom said...

what fun...that snow made the pancakes better, didn't it?!!
we haven't had snow yet...
it's been raining here the last couple of days
congrats on 45!
you have a beautiful family :)

Maryann said...

Happy Anniversary, had to smile about the Lowes comment, that's seems to be our favorite "date night" destination. Enjoyed your thanful list

Sonja said...

What a beautiful young bride you were! Congratulations on 45... so many chapters.

My list would resemble yours in many ways, with the blessing of new friends met on these blogging pages. What a blessing to have connected with you Kathleen. Your heart speaks so many of my thoughts...in your words, and you know what a fan I am of how you say those words!! :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

xo

Saleslady371 said...

Happy anniversary to you two lovebirds. I enjoyed the photos of your beautiful family and your list of thankfulness.

Debbie said...

You have such a thankful heart Kathleen! Oh my goodness ...snow? I would love that this time of year but maybe I'll settle for photos. :)

Happy Anniversary to you and Terry! I'm so glad I got to meet him while you were in AZ. Btw, I miss you!

Thank you for visiting me on Heart Choices and your thoughtful and kind comments. I really am loving those children and know that God put them in my life for this season.

Much love,
Debbie

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

And we are all blessed to have a little Sassiness in our life!

Happy Turkey Day. I love you, friend.

peace~elaine