Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Fear Done Right

For the past year I have been wading into & through the scriptures by way of various inductive (precepts) studies.  If you're unfamiliar with the system, it's basically a method of wringing out every possible drop of understanding from the text & all others associated with it.  It makes a Berean of each student, allowing the scripture to interpret itself. In the end, no matter what book or text you approach, you have a better understanding of the who, what, where, when & why of it. 

Our most recent study was produced by Precepts Ministries, Kay Arthur; and our selected text was the Book of Jonah.  A key element of the study was on fearing God - something Jonah claimed but didn't demonstrate.  Had he considered these ten questions put to us at the study, his storyline would have read very different from the collection we have today. 




1.  Do you fear God enough to obey Him when you don't want to?
2.  Is your fear of God weak enough to think you can disobey & get away with it?
3.  Is your fear of God weak enough to allow you to sleep through calamity?
4.  Is your faith so weak that others would question how you could profess to know God & live the way you do?
5.  Is your faith in God so weak the world puts you to shame because their fear of/respect for God is greater?
6.  Do you fear God enough to pray in the midst of your distress, or is it your last resort?
7.  Do you fear God enough to know there is no calamity apart from God?
8.  Do you fear God enough to understand & appropriate His grace?
9.  Do you fear God enough to curb your empty vanities & its appetites so you're not lured by the world and its vanities?
10. Do you fear God enough to realize that salvation is from the Lord?

If ever there's a Book of Kathleen added to the Canon (I know, that's impossible), I would hope the collection would be unlike Jonah's - - or this world's, for that matter. 

Fearing God means having such a reverence for Him 
that it has a great impact on the way we live our lives. 
The fear of God is respecting Him, obeying Him, 
submitting to His discipline, and worshipping Him in awe.

16 comments:

Susan Rush said...

Such a thought provoking post. I'm going to be processing throughout the day . . . love it!

LisaShaw said...

WOW and AMEN! This is powerful Kathleen...makes you think, pray and take action!

I love you and I'm praying for you precious friend!

Debbie said...

WOW...some definite food for thought. It scares me to consider that I might not sometimes.

skoots1mom said...

so true...
the other fear we MUST pray away from with His Word!
thanx 4 this word today

Denise said...

Such an awesome post.

Nancy said...

I love Kay Arthur and Precept......This method of studying the Bible is so good.

I love your ten questions....I need to ponder on them everyday....great post.

Ron aka TheOldGeezer said...

Small group inductive Bible studies are great. They really make you think. Kay Arthur is an excellent teacher.

Take care and have a nice day :-)

And thanks for your recent comment on My Blog

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

#2...

I'll chew on this one this morning as I head to Word for some further dialogue. Have a blessed day in Jesus friend.

peace~elaine

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Thanks for the confirmation I know what I am going to buy and study. I just finished Tchividjian "Surprised by Grace" which is a study of Jonah. I am also in Kay Arthur's book right now "Refined Silver"....you have confirmed where I am going next.

Right now I am studying on being Meek...oh my...it truly has to be a God produced thing in my life.

Thanks for always sharing what God is teaching you and by so doing stir up the zeal in me to know Him more.

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I agree with all the others that this was a powerful post Kathleen. Don't you just love studying His Word and seeing what He reveals to us. As I read your questions, I saw that there is an area I need to stop fearing in concerning rejection and step out in faith more. Thanks for being His mouthpiece today.
Hugs, Noreen

Andrea said...

Sometimes my actions don't match up to what I proclaim. Continuing to work on that, my friend. I, too use Precepts studies. The more I learn the more I realize who little I really do know.

Blessings, hugs, and prayers,
andrea

Just a little something from Judy said...

The more I study the character of God, the deeper my reverence of Him becomes and the less my concept of me becomes. I am so thankful, that like Jonah, God patiently leads and guides me, despite my flaws, failures, and at times disobedience. I love the story of Jonah, and even more I love the God who shared it with us. I like the word "reverence" better than "fear". But I know full well, that they both fit perfectly. I am so thankful today, that there was not a book of the Bible written about me:)

Saleslady371 said...

I want to fear Him like this, too!

Nezzy said...

This very powerful post truly touched my heart and soul.

When teachin' this lesson to my Kid's Church I like to refer to the word in this context to 'respect'.

I pray we all can 'fear' the Lord enough to be a light into this world for Him.

God bless ya and have a fun fall day sweetie!!! :o)

Cheryl Barker said...

These are some thought-provoking questions, Kathleen. I'm like Elaine, chewing on #2 a bit...

Have a great rest of the week!

Rebecca said...

I appreciate (and dread at the same time) these kinds of questions for self-examination. They really are useful and drive me to my knees pleading for more -- More of Jesus in my life.