Friday, October 28, 2011

Up Periscope

Have you ever seen the movie, "Planes, Trains & Automobiles"?  If not, it's a hilarious saga of mis-adventures as experienced via these modes of transportation.  I'm just sorry they didn't include a submarine.

In a sense, and for many months I have been traveling beneath life's sometimes dark, sometimes azure, sometimes lavishly-laden, sometimes pleasantly warm & sometimes chilling frigid seas.  Some have been quietly calm, while others have been tempestuous.  A few of them - these seas - have been little more than rolling waves.  But mostly the navigating has been with little buffeting.  That doesn't mean I'm totally out of commission or unaware.  Mostly I've just been navigating via submarine.  The sea's conditions have had little effect on my soul.  Thankfully, that's most likely due to the device known as a periscope.



As most of you know, it was just last year that I retired from employment.  It's a misnomer, that term; because many of us who retire only shift gears - - some into a higher gear, some to a lessor.  I can't quite decide which gear is mine yet, but I'm content with it for now.  Keeping my periscope in working order seems to be the greater challenge.   That, and remembering the safest place at sea is the depths.  The closer you get to the surface in order to actually USE the periscope, the more vulnerable you become to whatever is going on there.

Not only is my periscope vitally needful for knowing where to go, but for what to avoid.  Navigation devices a good that way:  they allow you to arrive at an intended destination safely.  You may not be able to see everything, but you can see enough.  To name a few:  the way forward, the perils on your course, the conditions on the surface, the approaching coastline.

Ultimately you zero in, then surface when ready to port.

Pretty slick, huh?

"Where God guides, He provides.
Where He leads, He feeds."
~ Old missionary saying



The path of the righteous is like the morning sun,
   shining ever brighter till the full light of day. 
Let your eyes look straight ahead;
   fix your gaze directly before you.
Give careful thought to the paths for your feet
   and be steadfast in all your ways.
Do not turn to the right or the left;
   keep your foot from evil.  
Proverbs 4:18, 25-27

18 comments:

manthano said...

You have just stated the condition of a lot of us.
As a recent retiree I still don't understand, is it an
adjustment period? The Lord stirring our nest?
The devil trying to get us off track?

But just rest assured that we are praying for you and
your family.

God bless you.

Rebecca said...

Prayers for you, Kathleen, as navigate similar waters :) I liked the cartoon. I think of one of those periscopes as my own; another yours; and the others our brothers and sisters in Christ...

Good to know we're not alone AND that our Lord rules the winds and waves, huh?!

Gwendolyn said...

I liked your term, "shifting gears" because that is truly what we do, wanting to be fruitful and useable at this stage in life, perhaps the desire is even stronger than in our earlier years. I'm glad that the Lord doesn't look at age as a requirement for service or relationship! We aren't retired yet...but I think we may be about the same age.

Loved the verse you posted in Prov. 4. My grandmother shared those verses with me in telling me how the Lord led her and grandpa together.

Have a blessed day!

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I'm wondering if you live on the island we just visited-if so I wish I would have known-we could have had coffee/tea together.
Retirement is an adjustment, for hubby and me moved to a new state and were at home together, without friends 24x7. I was so hungry for fellowship but did eventually adjust and make new friends. There are still up and down days, especially with all that is happening in the world and with our retirment income. I'm thankful that I have the Lord and can trust Him when the seas around me are raging. Sending love your way today.
Noreen

Debbie said...

I enjoyed this, and I love that scripture. My hubby is not retired yet, and I am 3 years now with an empty nest. I am STILL navigating the waters not sure where or when or how or IF I will surface. Praise God we just need to keep our eyes on Him. Have a good week-end!

Sonja said...

You've sure touched a chord here. This is a new place in our lives too, but merely the next chapter from God's perspective. He isn't going to waste where we have been and He is never finished with us either. This next chapter may be the very best of all! :)

xo

Just a little something from Judy said...

The key statement you made in this post, is that "you are content with it for now". Contentment is a gift from God no matter what port we are in, or where the periscope may take us. The shifting gears that we find here in our household, has certainly put us in a different position than we have been for a long time, even though we are not real close to retirement. It brings us great comfort to know that "where God leads us, He provides for us". What amazing grace in our lives. I can't help but wonder where God will lead talented you, in your next part of the journey.

Maryann said...

I have to agree with you, I don't like the word retirement, just shifting gears sounds better. Life just looks different, now this is easy for me to say because we are not retired yet. I believe that God continues to use us for his purposes no matter what season of life we are in. Praying you will continue to navigate these waters with his guidance
Blessings

Pain to Purpose said...

Loved this. I also love that old missionary saying!

Beth E. said...

I have awhile before I retire, but I am quite familiar with navigating tempestuous seas. I guess I've been too close to the surface...I keep hearing, "Dive, dive, dive!" ;-)

Hugs...

RCUBEs said...

Reminds me to keep pressing on, as His ways truly guide. I love the fact that in the deeper seas, no matter what goes on on top, it remains calm, peaceful down below. What best way to navigate than picking up the periscope at all times! God bless.

Saleslady371 said...

Cartoon is great as are your thoughts today. I often ask myself how I would fare if I lost my job and retired early. Please write more about your findings; I'm following on your heels so to speak and I'm not too sure I know what to expect about my future either. I would be so interested in how God leads you.

Debbie said...

Your life is never dull, that's for sure Kathleen. And wherever you are, I think you spread lots of sunshine even though you live in the Seattle area. LOL.

I'm so thankful that we've spent time together. I learn so much from you and your example.

Love you,
Debbie

Terri Tiffany said...

I'd forgotten that you retired. You are so busy all the time that I bet you haven't missed it at all!

Ron aka TheOldGeezer said...

I love the Proverbs passage.

John Candy and Steve Martin were extra funny in that old movie.

Take care and have a Wonderful Week :-)

http://theoldgeezerblog.blogspot.com/

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

i agree with Beth's comments - may be hearing the lord tell me to 'dive' as well!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Skimming the bottom of the ocean as well; only now beginning to raise the periscope. Scary stuff up there!

peace~elaine

Denise said...

Awesome post.