Monday, October 10, 2011

To Run or Not to Run?

Somewhere in between toweling off from my shower & brushing my teeth, I heard a story on the radio that got me to thinking.  It kept me thinking long afterwards.

The details of the story aren't particularly important other than to flesh out the principle involved.  In this case, the principle is connected to a track competition.  

As this particular track race progressed, someone from one team ran so close to someone from the other team that the cleats on their running shoes actually pierced the ankle of the other runner, who immediately dropped to the ground & began screaming in pain.   The perp (I wonder how many times I've been that perp myself?) ran on, quite likely too focused on the finish line to give much thought to the scene in her rear view mirror. Racers from both teams followed suit & ran past the injured runner, ignoring the moaning form in their way.

If there's a race to be run, surely winning it is far more important than anything else that might happen in the process.  Surely?

Along comes Samaritan Runner, a lady from the competitive team who simply could not leave her opponent alone & suffering.  She stopped, helped the wounded runner to her feet, and then delivered her to the Medical Tent before returning to the race, and onto the finish line - - not to win, but to finish what was before her. 

Isn't that the point:  To run the race set before us; not to win, but to finish? 




Success is getting what you want;
happiness is wanting what you get. 
~Dale Carnegie

Try not to become a man of success,
but rather try to become a man of value.
~Albert Einstein

27 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a disturbing (but instructive) story!

manthano said...

Appreciated this post (As the others.)
THANKS.

a portland granny said...

When I saw your title, I thought, "Oh no! Shes thinking of running for office".

That was an awful story, but what a blessed person to come along side of her at her own expense.

Great picture of life.

Thanks

skoots1mom said...

comforting to remember, Jesus doesn't call us to win the race...as you noted, obedient choices bring the seat at the left hand. ;)

Debbie said...

This was a disturbing story, but an encouraging one as well. It is soo true and such a good thought. We aren't called to WIN the race, but to finish it...love it! Have a good week! HUGS

NanaNor's said...

This was such a good post-got me really thinking about the focus in life. Thanks for sharing today.
Hugs, Noreen

Heart2Heart said...

Kathleen!

I think you captured the very essence of what we, as Christians, should strive to be, more Christ-like and less worldly!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Saleslady371 said...

At first I thought it would be a political post! Very good message and you make a great point! Hooray for the Samaritan Runner.

Peggy said...

A very thought provoking post. Winning isn't everything is it?

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

I'm glad someone came to the runner's aid! It's a classic Good Samaritan story.

Just a little something from Judy said...

This serves as a reminder to me, to ask God to help me to be aware of what is going on around me, instead of plowing ahead to the goal before me, as I so often do. I believe I pass others crying out for help sometimes, because I am too focused on what is going on in my mind at the time. A sad story with a tender ending.

myletterstoemily said...

thank you for the lesson on how to
run our race. it is so easy to get
caught up in the competition and
forget the goal.

Terri Tiffany said...

What a lesson!! I wasn't sure if you were back to blogging too--good to see you are.
You have been such an encouragement to me during these past years and if I haven't told you before, I am now.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

To finish what is before me...

Yes, that's the goal, but it sure gets tough some days. Too many perps out there tripping me up and leaving me bleeding on the track.

peace~elaine

RCUBEs said...

You are that runner that helped me ever since I was being wounded in this battle I had been in from my workplace. Thank you for this reminder. As His body, how beautiful it would be to see each runner not so concerned in winning but instead, always ready to lend a helping hand between each other, to motivate each other, the strong encouraging the weak...as we focus on finishing together!!! Thank you sister for your hand that you extended to me especially through the much-needed prayers! God bless.

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Great analogy! How true, what is important is to finish well, what ever that may be in a manner that pleases God! He is not so much interested in us begin first but that we are obedient!

Wonderful as always!
R

Nel said...

What an interesting post! More from God's word that we tend to look over at times. Thanks for sharing!
until next time... nel

Deborah Ann said...

Wow, that is absolutely profound! I can see why this is sticking with you. I know it will stick with me for a long time. May we all be those runners who run for the prize - the REAL prize...

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Good example...finishing, and caring for those along the way. How easy it is to get too focus on the things that don't matter and really miss the reason for the race to begin with.

Cheryl Barker said...

The opening piece in my upcoming newsletter has this very same theme. Sometimes success isn't about winning but about tackling the challenge and finishing. And by the way, thank goodness there are some Samaritan runners out there, huh?

Blessings to you, Kathleen!

Karen Lange said...

Finish what's before you - I like that. Thanks, Kathleen. :)

Denise said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this.

Ron aka TheOldGeezer said...

Sadly, many fall by the wayside and never finish the race. :-(

God bless and have a great weekend! :-)

Susan Rush said...

So glad I found your post. I needed to be reminded to slow down, keep first things first, and always be willing to stop to help someone in need.

Maryann said...

Pressing on to the finish line

Melanie Dorsey said...

What a great story...the end that is.
Let us run the race set before us which may include the role of Good Samaritan.

LisaShaw said...

Focus on the main thing!
Live Christ not just say I'm saved
Humility, humility, humility...

Words and heart expressions such as those above is what hit me as I read.

You said it all here: "Isn't that the point: To run the race set before us; not to win, but to finish?"

Thank you for sharing and giving me yet again something to chew on.

Love you.