Monday, October 24, 2011

Mork's Musings

I looked & looked & looked.  To my complete dismay, I could find no Planet Ork.

But really, isn't the solar system an amazing tutorial?  One needn't be a scientist to appreciate its design & symmetry & beauty; or the rather odd mechanisms that keep everything in working order.  The mystery of it all is at the heart of a myriad musings from the dawn of time itself.

There's many a resource for gathering basic information about our universe.  I found the content from this one quite interesting, and I think you'll see why (the emphasis is mine) ...

The speed at which a planet moves causes it to try to pull away from the sun and there are times during the orbit when the gravitational pull is not equal to the pull at other times. In addition, the other planets exert some gravitational pull on each other.

Astronomers and physicists have also found that the center of the Sun is not the true center of mass that exerts gravitational force. In fact, they theorize, the Sun also orbits slightly around this mass center. The Sun has more mass than the planets, thus it has the stronger pull of gravity. While the planets seem to try to move away from this pull at certain places in their orbits, the Sun always pulls them back. The planets have gravitational pull on the Sun as well, but that force is not strong enough to affect the Sun’s movement.



It's more than a little compelling, if you ask me.  The Sun has all the power & the planets, in varying sizes & shapes orbit AROUND IT - not the other way around. Could it be the universe has something relative to share?

To some extent, aren't we like those planets, we humans?  Totally dependent on the Sun, we go round & round with little thought to the daily dose of light & warm (unless it's raining) lavished upon us.  From time-to-time we try our darndest to pull away, only to be pulled back into orbit once again.  Mistakenly, and most likely unintentionally, we behave as if the Sun - - and even the other planets - - orbit AROUND US - the center of our own solar system.

If God would concede me His omnipotence 
for 24 hours, you would see how many changes 
I would make in the world. 
But if He gave me His wisdom too, 
I would leave things as they are. 
~ J.M.L. Monsabre   

Science would appear to endorse the great good sense of planets remaining on their prescribed course, moving at a slow pace, & never forgetting the source of power & light exerted by the SON.  Even the moon seems to understand its primary ministry is that of a reflector.

Now there's a thought:  The Ministry of Reflection.  Kinda catchy ...

I believe in Christianity as I believe 
that the Sun has risen, 
not only because I see it, 
but because by it 
I see everything else. 
~ C.S. Lewis


12 comments:

Sonja said...

I just saw this come up on my sidebar. This is so excellent. Isn't it the truth. We think our own little world is a thing unto itself sometimes. How great is our God, and what magnificent order in His universe.

Love your quotes too.

Miss Janet @ HOME said...

Have you seen Louie Giglio's Indescribable or How Great Is Our God videos?

I think you'd like them.

:) Janet

Andrea said...

My own microcosmic existance is but a speck, really less than a speck in light of Who God is! What unsearchable riches and truth. It's impossible to fathom His greatness!

The C.S. Lewis quote is one of my favorites.

Thank you for a lovely, worthy post you have once again written.


Andrea

Maryann said...

This is wonderful

Terri Tiffany said...

I love this analogy! You are always looking at things in a new way. Hope your week is awesome and thanks always for your kind words to me of encouragment.

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

What a great analogy to start the day with....

Blessings
R

Debbie said...

Oh there is MUCH truth here for sure. We do think that way lots of times don't we? Loved the quotes here too. Have a wonderful day! HUGS

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

"And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." (2 Cor. 3:18).

He's the Center as well. Even so, keep me tethered to the Light, Lord Jesus!

peace~elaine

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Great...great...great. I just finished studying Columbus with my son and how he depended on the sun and stars...as well as the Son!

All of His creation...yes I am drawn to the sun and the Son!

Just a little something from Judy said...

Excellent post! How true it is, as to how often we think our little world revolves around us, when truly it is all about Him. He is our everything! The two quotes you shared are two of the best that I have ever read, and I am copying them, especially the one by C.S. Lewis. So well written my friend.

Cheryl Barker said...

The Ministry of Reflection -- I like it! :)

Denise said...

Fantastic.