Monday, October 3, 2011

Fertile or Fallow?

Both my mother & father grew up amidst agrarian communities.  Their love of farming values & practices never waned, though both would abandon their roots in favor of a modern existence beyond the reach of plows & silos.  They learned to use their cultivation skills in a whole new way.

As I considered the disciplines associated with cultivation, I paid a visit to Merriam to see what more I could learn.  No surprise to learn that it means, in essence, to render something civilized, refined, couth; and 1: to prepare for the raising of crops; also: to loosen or break up the soil, or  2: to foster the growth of  

What flabbergasted me was what I learned about the opposite of cultivating.  It means: barbarianism, barbarism, philistinism  REALLY!!  Do you see that?  Something that isn't cultivated is barbaric, or like the PHILISTINES!  Where'd we hear that word before?
 
Here's what I know:  There are a great many things that must be left up to God.  But it's up to me to cultivate a good deal on my own, like routine times of quietude & prayer, Bible study, forgiveness, fellowship, and obeying the leading of His Spirit ~ to name a few. 
 
To NOT cultivate is to leave the ground of my heart fallow; which is to say it is dormant, idle, inert.  Whether I like it or not, to forfeit cultivation is to meander on over to the camp of the Philistines. 
 
 
Who knew how agrarian is life in the spirit?!!

Sow righteousness for yourselves,
reap the fruit of unfailing love,
and break up your unplowed ground;
for it is time to seek the LORD,
until He comes
and showers His righteousness on you.
~ Hosea 10:12






9 comments:

rcubes said...

I surely don't want an uncultivated soil in my heart...How exciting...that in everything we do always points/leads to His truth. Thank you for this nugget!

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, I keep thinking of you because in 12 days we will be in Seattle on our way to San Juan & Orcas islands...I can't wait, just hope it isn't raining the entire time. I LOVE this post and have learned something new; thank you.
Have a blessed week.
Noreen

Beth E. said...

"There are a great many things that must be left up to God. But it's up to me to cultivate a good deal on my own, like routine times of quietude & prayer, Bible study, forgiveness, fellowship, and obeying the leading of His Spirit ~ to name a few."

You speak the truth, Kathleen...we have to do our part.

Ummm...agrarian?? Really?? *pulls out dictionary* ;-)

Rebecca said...

Amazing how much a person can learn when they "dig"! Thanks for "digging in" to this subject and passing on this valuable insight, Kathleen.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Time for cultivation, time for meditation, time for communication, all with our Heavenly Father, is where the NEEDED power and strength can be found. All of which are necessary ingredients for us to live victoriously and above the circumstances of daily life. At times, I find myself not heeding these necessary times, and like you said, finding myself to be lacking in the needed power of strength to live daily life.

You provided me with some thought provoking nuggets, even though it is with words I never heard before:)

Sonja said...

How true, how true! My choices in the cultivation process are almost like an exact science. When I don't... it's obvious, when I do, it's also obvious. :)

xo

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Yes..good, good word. I am seeing more and more that the areas I don't cultivate are the areas that tend to grow weeds...weeds with deep roots. How barbaric of me!

Thanks...this will stick with me and a good one to share with my kids.

Miss Janet @ HOME said...

I'll take one of those showers!

Thank you for visiting me!

May your day be blessed.

<3 Janet

www.homeward4.blogspot.com

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

And before long... Goliath moves into camp!

Taking care to plow my ground and plant God's seed, Sassy. I know you're doing the same.

Keep to it.

peace~elaine