Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Pumpkin in a Pear Tree

God writes the gospel not in the Bible alone,
but on trees and flowers and clouds and stars. 
~Author unknown, commonly attributed
to Martin Luther



Yesterday's early morning walk allowed me to consider again how very unapologetic is nature when it comes to it's duty. 

Never do I hear the Fir tree crumbling that it isn't a Rhododendron; nor do I witness the grass sparring with the rocks over which is more needful.  Even the rain seems satisfied with it's lot - inspite of, or because of, or perhaps ignorant of man's indignity towards it.  The sun never shrinks from the power granted it; and the winds follow their designated courses though no map is given them.
  • Forests welcome precipitation in all its forms.
  • Deserts giggle at drought.
  • Oceans swell & heave in powerful displays.
  • Mountains open wide their arms to receive ice & snow.
  • Rivers race to the sea to demonstrate their abundance.
  • Creatures exercise their instinctive rights without apology.
  • Starry skies make bold proclamations though no one hear.
In these, and so many other ways all of creation obeys their covenants - often in spite of that which would impede it from doing so.  And, when some element seems oddly uncharacteristic, a further examination often reveals an anomaly.  What is seen is not always what it appears to be.  Obedience is, afterall, creation's watchword. 

Indeed, His Gospel is forever on display.

For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—
His eternal power and divine nature—
have been clearly seen, being understood 
from what has been made, 
so that people are without excuse. 
Romans 1:20


A Pumpkin in a Pear Tree


I love to think of nature as an unlimited
broadcasting station, through which God
speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. 
~George Washington Carver







Photo:  A nearby garden vine climbed the tree, giving the now-green pumpkin the appearance of having sprouted from one the pear tree's branches.  Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

20 comments:

Saleslady371 said...

So glad your keen eye caught the neighbor's pumpkin! This is a gem of a pic! Great thoughts about nature, too! Happy Sunday!

RCUBEs said...

Love the poetic like description of His creations...That's a great pic...I'd like to think of myself as that pumpkin growing in God's pear tree. Nothing is impossible with our good God! Have a great weekend!

Karen Lange said...

What a wonderful and interesting perspective - it's so true. I love to take walks and observe God's hand in nature. It is truly awesome. :)

Cindy said...

I enjoyed this. Thank you for posting.

Debbie said...

You have great eyes and a worshipful heart. So glad you're enjoying long walks in cooler weather. Be glad you are not in Phoenix with ongoing triple digit heat.

Blessings and love,
Debbie

Loren said...

Kathleen,

You amaze me and your thoughts bless me. I can't say I have ever even pondered one of these...not a one. BUT, thanks to you I will!

LOVE that pic of the pumpkin....I have to say ~ I am never more amazed than when I see Gods Creation! All the different animals, flowers, bugs, etc. Absolutely spectacular!

Have a blessed week my friend!

Sonja said...

This blog, word for word, and including the picture, belongs on a huge poster in a christain bookstore!

I am humming right now... on the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me, a pumpkin in a pear tree! :)

The Romans verse ties the whole thing together beautifullly. Well done!

xo

LisaShaw said...

Amen Kathleen! You capture it perfectly...well said! Love the quotes and the Word.

I have to agree with Sonja that this belongs on a huge poster board in Christian stores but also on those GREAT BIG boards we see on the highways! Oh what hearts that could reach for the Kingdom!

Love you lots!

Nel said...

I love this! And especially the picture - that is cool!

until next time... nel

Peggy said...

I love this post and the quotes. There is so much we can learn from beautiful creation of God. And so much we can enjoy.

T.O. Geezer aka ~Ron said...

Everything God created was good and then came the fall. Just imagine how things will be in Heaven! :-)

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

That picture is just great....as all of creation cries out of His glory...and how He takes the the things of the world and makes them look foolish...now who says pumpkins can't grow on trees?

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hmm, I just read Jeanette's post on CBN about - obedience. I'm beginning to see a pattern.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Nezzy said...

Just goes to show ya'll...nothin' is impossible with God.

It not only looks like a pumpkin it could be the makin's of a small watermelon. That's just uniquely amazin' sweetie!

God bless ya and have a bright and beautiful day!!! :o)

Alice Lynn Alfred said...

Wow ~ this was beautiful!! What stuck out to me the most was the part about the Gospel being visible everywhere ~ that blessed story of death and redemption!! Love that. I am going to be taking a break from blog world, but hopefully I will be back around....I will miss your beautiful writing....that's for sure! Thank you for taking time to check out my blog and comment, I greatly appreciate it! Much love ~ alice

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

"Creation obeying its covenant..."

Very powerful words, Sassy. Thank you for this weighty perspective.

peace~elaine

Just a little something from Judy said...

Yesterday morning, in the early hours, I read that verse in Romans and was sitting reflecting on it. How much fun it was to read your post and see how you so perfectly shared your own creative version of that verse. Your perspective is so refreshing and so right on that it gets me to think about it all day. Thank you God for giving us, you!

Shirley said...

Love it, as always.

beBOLDjen said...

I enjoy reading your thoughts spilled out on my computer screen. Thank you, as always, for sharing.

Beth E. said...

Hahaha! I'm humming the same song as Sonja! ;-)

You've given me a lot to think about, Sassy...such a beautifully worded post. I, too, love the descriptions of nature, receiving all of God's creation!

Hugs...