Friday, August 26, 2011

Evacuation Wisdom


For a brief span of roughly 18 months, hubby and I lived in Southern California near Mt. Baldy.  I'd heard of Santa Ana winds prior to moving there, but until we actually lived in their path I hadn't a clue about their tremendous power - - power multiplied when accompanied by fire.  Such was our experience that first Fall. 

All around & above us the wind & fires raged for several weeks before they were finally quenched.  But while they were consuming everything in their path, we lived on that path of peril - - ever vigilant & watchful, and ever at-the-ready to evacuate.   Ash-laden, smoke-scented air was a ready reminder not to get too complacent.

As I watch news of Hurricane Irene's merciless intentions, and listen to the many who are cautioning, warning, and even advising people to flee, I think back to those days in California.  I think of the days just prior to Mt. St. Helen's eruption, too.   There were, and are plenty of notices about what to do to be safe when a natural disaster is expected and/or to prepare for an evacuation when advance warnings are available.  Often they provide evacuation routing to further ensure the safety of the evacuees.  Even so ... and still ... people refuse to heed.  Like old Harry Truman at Spirit Lake, they shake their first & roll the dice in the face of extreme danger.

I know you know where I'm going with this...  It's an object-lesson from nature about the amazing, grace-laden evacuation plan & route God has provided to all mankind.  He uses the loudest of bull horns to get our attention - the Gospel: the power of God for saving men (Romans 1:16-17) - whereby He offers the only sure means of escape.  Many seize the warning and find their way to safety.  Others insist they're just fine & have no need to act.  Some, like Harry Truman, see great humor in the silliness of such a warning & plan. 

While I pray for my many & dear friends on the U.S. Eastern seaboard, I also pray for those who insist upon making their home upon the path of peril.  It's not about hellfire & damnation, nor is it about wringing worried hands.  It's about intentionally making one's way to safety, knowing with certainty that we are forever out of harm's way. 

Thomas said to him,
“Lord, we don’t know where you are going,
so how can we know the way?”
Jesus answered, “I am the Way and the Truth and the Life.
No one comes to the Father except through me. 
John 14:5-6

Love does no harm to a neighbor. 
Therefore love is the fulfillment of the Law.  
And do this, understanding the present time:
The hour has already come for you to wake up
from your slumber, because our salvation is
nearer now than when we first believed. 
The night is nearly over; the day is almost here.
So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and
put on the armor of light. 
Romans 13:10-12

As God’s co-workers we urge you not to receive
God’s grace in vain. For He says,
“In the time of my favor I heard you,
and in the day of salvation I helped you."
I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor,
now is the day of salvation.
2 Corinthians 6:1-2, Isaiah 49:8


8 comments:

Saleslady371 said...

My heart goes out to those on the east coast right now considering Irene and their current earthquake this week. And my heart joins yours as we continue to storm the heavens for those who do not heed spiritual warnings as well.

Grandma Elsie said...

Well hello Sassy granny !
Loved reading your blog.Been a good long time since I was here though and its good to see you are still here.
Keep up the good word ..

Karen Lange said...

Kathleen,

You always have such wonderful analogies! Thank you for sharing them with us. :)

My family lives in southern NJ (where we lived prior to 2004) and they had to evacuate. I cannot help but place myself in their shoes, having lived in NJ for so many years. It is rather strange to watch it all play out, but am praying that all will be well.

Have a good weekend,
Karen

Beth E. said...

"While I pray for my many & dear friends on the U.S. Eastern seaboard, I also pray for those who insist upon making their home upon the path of peril. It's not about hellfire & damnation, nor is it about wringing worried hands. It's about intentionally making one's way to safety, knowing with certainty that we are forever out of harm's way."

Such a powerful statement, Kathleen. Living intentionally!

Big hugs...

Sonja said...

As always, you get your point across with such clarity. I am also so mindful of many on the east coast tonight, and pray that it will diminish and be less than they fear.

How thankful I am for the way of escape that is ours because of Jesus.

xo

Just a little something from Judy said...

There sure is some shaking and moving in my part of the world. It causes me to continue in praying for those around me, and sharing the total peace that only our Heavenly Father can give. With all the new's accounts being thrown at us, I was reminded again of the One who commands the waves to go so far and no further in Daniel. He is in charge! How I wish I could express it as perfectly as you did. God has blessed you with a special gift and you use it beautifully.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Wow, Kathleen, my mind has been traveling down the same path today.

We're not too close to the shore, so there's no evacuation. We are expecting lots of rain and high winds.

The cancellations and warnings have given me time to stay home and catch up on lots of work.

Have a great weekend!

Peggy said...

I love your sentence "It's an object lesson from nature about the amazing grace-laden evacuation plan and route God has provided to all mankind". And the way all these natural disasters are occurring all over the world it may be sooner rather than later. I hope and pray we'll all be ready.