Sunday, August 21, 2011

Moss Covered Musing

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.


I do declare, these virtual meanderings are ever so exciting!  In recent weeks I've traveled thousands of miles over a backward span of nearly 2,000 years.  My eyes are bleary, but my feet are happy to continue the journey.

As I mentioned in my post some weeks ago, I've been AWOL as I pursue material (biographical, historical and ancestral).  I have high hopes that it will provide the sinew for a book that's been long in the writing. 

My journey has taken me along many & varied branches of my family tree.  On my mother's side we are predominantly French and Irish (through the clans Grenelle & O'Neal).  Her kin takes me farthest back thus far; and that to 800s Norway (how cool is that, Debbie & Sonja?).    

Robert I Rollo - Viking Rolf Ragnvaldsson (850 - 925)


On my father's side the Scots-Irish feature heavily through the Wells/Kelly and McFadden lineage.  It is my grandmother Sarah Kelly that provides the richest fare.  I've managed to trace her (and my) heritage back through Scotland & Ireland, linking our branches to several kings and knights (and castles that stand still, or in ruins); and to the renowned Robert the Bruce. 

On various Mayflower records I've discovered no few relations.  Several were signatory on the actual Mayflower Compact!

I must tell you that I'm amazed and grateful for the resources made available to me by way of Ancestry.com.  Their database includes census, vital statistics, immigration and other records from every imaginable war or affiliation, and so much more!  Thanks in large part to the convergence of LDS records (the Mormons are big on ancestry), the pool of information available to time-travelers like me is immense.

For now I'll keep at it, which means the blogosphere will remain of secondary focus.  For now. 

I think of you often, and pray especially for those of you I know are living in life-chapters new (Terri, Peggy), or difficult (Rosel, Tammy), or challenging - - or all of the above (Elaine).  Sometimes a grin forms when another of you drop into my thoughts:  Judy, Beth, Lisa, Sonja, Debbie, Janette, Noreen, Susan, Sharon, Luther, Karen, Loren, Ron, Mary ...  Well, I could just go on and on!

One stanza from the song Amazing Grace has run through my thoughts so often on this journey.  It's the preface to this post, and the postscript.  When I consider all that was wrought by God's hand to deliver me (and you) to this very day, it's simply mind-boggling.  Down through the ages He had (has) a plan for me, and He saw to it I arrived on time, and for a time such as this.  Today I'm part of it - His plan.  And so are you.  Let us run together this amazing race - for our joy and His glory!

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

What an adventure you're obviously on, Kathleen. Praying God's blessing on your research, your eyes, your fingers, all the nooks and crannies that you discover along the way. May your curiosity continue to stretch you to your creative limits and His grace carry you farther than you ever expected to go...

(I am an experienced proof reader, should you ever need my "services"...)

Just a little something from Judy said...

I count it a great joy to play a tiny part on the journey of your life, where you came from, where you are now and where you are headed. I will join you anytime in singing the chorus of "Amazing Grace". I read a quote today that expresses my feelings as I read your post; "All the things in this world are gifts and signs of God's love to us. The whole world is a love letter from God." ~Peter Kreeft

I consider it a special honor to be included in your list of names:) Miss you!

Sonja said...

I was (SERIOUSLY) just now thinking of you and missing you on these pages! I refreshed my own page, and here you are! :)

No surprise to me that there are vikings in your genes! We are too much of a kindred spirit for there not to be a link somewhere!

I'm so glad for this time you are taking to explore your roots. My own roots have been a blessing to pursue as well, and I have learned so many things about myself in the doing of it.

You are missed my friend, but so glad to see you here today! Keep plowing!

xo

skoots1mom said...

how exciting...i've always wanted to learn more about my family

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

A book in the writing? Glad you slipped that in. I'm so excited!!!!

I'm a little scared to dip into my history; who know who's hiding there?!!

Love you, my good friend. Peace to you as you continue the road of history.

~elaine

Saleslady371 said...

This is so fascinating. I admire your determination to really know your family line. Thanks for lifting up your head so that we can drop by and give you a cyber hug as well.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

Ah, you're going to write a historical? How cool!

You're blessed to have a rich heritage to draw information. You'll enjoy this journey, my friend. :)

Blessings,
Susan

Debbie said...

Wouldn't that be something if we were related way back! But we are sisters in Christ. I had to laugh at Sonja's comment. I wrote you an email earlier today and I was thinking of you too.

Love,
Debbie

Terri Tiffany said...

So neat that you are doing this for your family! My sister-in-law has for our family and her information is priceless.
Thank you for all your prayers for Curt and I. You have been a huge part of my journey and why I am still holding on. I'm so excited to see what God has in mind when I land in about a month or so into my new city sight unseen!

Donna Lynn Grace said...

Such an exciting adventure! I would love to do some family research some day.

Beth E. said...

I need to try that ancestry(dot)com. I would love to learn more about my roots.

Thank you so much for your faithfulness to pray, Kathleen. Those prayers are definitely making a difference.

Hugs...