Monday, July 25, 2011

We Older Types

There's Sarah & Hannah & Naomi & even Rahab, not to mention the Marys, and Dorcus or .  They pop up on our Popularity Charts as being women of noble character (most of the time).  Then there's the quintessential cynic, Mrs. Job; and we simply must not forget the powerful Jezebel, or manipulating Sapphira ... a few ladies from the other extreme; the one lacking in character. 

When I collect all the scriptures pertaining to women, I'm intrigued.  It's stuff many of us learned from youth, though probably not in the sense God had in mind.  Many a bully, control freak well-intentioned soul would have we ladies relegated to some quiet corner.  Not that quiet corners are bad unless - of course - they are meant to deaden one's impact.

Here I am, one full year into retirement following a lifetime of energized living, brain strain and teamwork.  What I'm experiencing is nothing at all like those things.  As you might guess, it's far less energized and strained.  That's good ... on some level.   Certainly I have time for other pursuits; pursuits long abandoned given my oft-rugged work schedules of yesteryear.

All that said to tell you I am inspired anew by the scriptures pertaining to we older types.  Not the heretofore mentioned interpretation, but the real, rich, robust and regal estate that's synonymous with them.  I'm not done musing upon them, so I'm not yet ready to elaborate. 

I just know that nothing compares to gray hair quite like the living of life.   I'd hate to think I came by these strands as a result of worry, or mean-spiritedness, or as some faux evidence of piety. 

No, today I'm wondering how I can employ all that gray hair so neatly coiffed beneath a mantle of blonde highlights.  I don't mean in the money-earning sense, though that would certainly be OK with me.  Rather, I am wondering if at long last there aren't a plethora of new dreams to be dreamed; new lessons to be learned; new heights to be scaled; new students to teach; new avenues to travel? 

I'm further wondering if I haven't somehow qualified as the Older Woman in Titus 2 and elsewhere?  Afterall, those credentials don't come via academia or brief life-spans.  One has to have been on a fairly lengthy walk-about to gather such credentials.

This I know:  What I thought was important and worthy in my youth makes me cry or pull my hair out chuckle today.  With 20/20 hindsight as my vantage point, I am astounded at how long it took the Lord to get me here.  What else don't I know?




The years teach much which the days never knew. 
~Ralph Waldo Emerson



The great thing about getting older is that you
don't lose all the other ages you've been.
~Madeleine L'Engle

16 comments:

skoots1mom said...

love the L'Engle quote...
the pic intrigues me...LOVE their hats. i always wonder what they're thinking as the picture's being made. their years look rough on their faces and i can't imagine having to wear all those clothes in the summer time, I would have sweltered even more than now.
still pondering your wise words ;)

Sonja said...

Absolutely beautiful! I am right there with you, especially the 'what else don't I know?'... these are good days, and there is still much ahead, gray, blonde or whatever.. and I'm excited!

xo

Ray Barnes said...

Well said.
I have many more years than you under my (mostly) grey hair and have learned only one thing in all that time.
Namely, that the longer you live and the more you learn, the less you know.
At least, that's my experience!

Nancy said...

I am on the same page with you.....My word for this year is Adventure and God continues to bring new adventures into my path......A friend said to me the other day "God is moving and we must jump on board".....I'm thinking thank goodness He provides all we need....like ENERGY........

While reading your post my mind went to the Scripture about teaching the younger women.....We may retire from one job but then He gives us another.......You can tell that I so relate to this post...

And as for the hair.....I haven't seen my natural color in so long I have decided to let it go natural....I always say if I don't like it I can cover it up again.....
Hahahahah

Thanks for your visit and your sweet comments....I hope you will come over for another visit......

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I believe you to be standing on the cusp of your new beginning, sister Sassy. A good chapter already being written and one worthy of inclusion in the book known as you.

You bless me.

peace~elaine
PS: Which one are you in the photo?

NanaNor's said...

Hi there, Love this because so many of us are in the same boat. I'll be 60 next year-when did that happen?!! At our age, we also learn how to relax and not sweat the small stuff. Thanks for sharing-girl if I can be in your company then I'll be just fine.
Have a fun afternoon, doing whatever your heart pleases.
Hugs, Noreen

RCUBEs said...

I am in my 40's yet I feel like "90" sometimes, working nights for so many years. Now that I see one or two white hair sticking out, I know that each day is a step forward (though maybe slow at times) toward aging. Like you, I often wonder what else I need to learn from all the trials that come my way knowing that through those, we grow in maturity. But at the same time, I am hoping that I am leaving a wise move of pointing my child and future family (God-willing) towards our good Father.

Blessings to you wise Sassy...I know that your wisdom was not learned overnight...

One thing those people forgot to do in that pic was to "smile"...

Maryann said...

I ran into a scripture a couple of months ago and claimed it.
"They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green" Psalm 92:14
Now I'm not saying your old...I'm with ya...this is for our future. Much ahead for us...that's what his word says..isn't that great!
Blessings to you

Peggy said...

An inspiring and encouraging post. Most days I don't like much about growing old, But it does have it's moments. And the wisdom is worth all the great hairs, I guess.

Just a little something from Judy said...

I personally know many a young women who would benefit profoundly from women like you, Sonja, Elaine and many more who would teach the wisdom your life pathway has taught you. I just know that is what God had in mind in Titus when He instructs the "older and so beautiful" women to teach the younger women in the things of God. You and I have perhaps walked with Him longer and hopefully trusted Him more, and through it all ALWAYS found Him faithful. I thank God daily for the older women He places in my life to instruct me by words but mostly by quiet example. I can't wait to see what He has in store for you, around the next bend. I personally think you are a very special example of God's amazing love and grace. Thank you!

Granny said...

It doesn't really seem that long ago that I was in the "younger" category -- time has flown by faster than I ever imagined when I was "younger". I've always treasured the teachings in Titus for the older to teach the younger. God has given us a great responsibility to draw alongside younger women, but He's not finished with each of us yet either. It's a blessing to stop by & visit with you while I read your posts. Thank you for following God's direction in your words.

Patti Hanan said...

I am another sassy granny and so glad to meet you :) I love the quotes and the old picture. I also find it interesting to read about the older women in the Bible. I especially think of Lois, and how she blessed her grandson, Timothy. Blessings to you!

Debbie said...

Oh how I idenitfy with this post. Soo many of the same musings. What does the Lord have for me now is something I have spent many months dwelling on now. I am right there with you. No matter what it might be (and is different from day to day) I am excited.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

One of my greatest joys in blog land is that I can set at the feet of those who have earned their grey hairs...even though my head is filling up fast with grey, there are still those who have gone before me.

I look forward to seeing and hearing about all the new journeys God brings you way, as you continue to share your wisdom of the years and experiences He has given you.

beBOLDjen said...

Oh keep ruminating! I can't see what results from this strain of thinking. I believe there is many a younger type who would give an arm and leg for a peek into the Gray Hair Chronicles, to study some lessons you've learned on those walk-abouts.

LisaShaw said...

Dearest Kathleen,

You are definitely a Titus 2 woman in my life online...your wisdom is such that I can glean from you in Christ.

So glad that GOD uses women (and men) at any and all ages if we avail ourselves to Him.

I said a hearty Amen to this: "Many a bully, control freak well-intentioned soul would have we ladies relegated to some quiet corner. Not that quiet corners are bad unless - of course - they are meant to deaden one's impact."

New beginnings dear friend...keep focused on Him and enjoy the journey. It's not over yet!!!! :)

Hugs and love!