Monday, July 18, 2011

First Things First

OK, so that's logical:  first things first!  Why, then, is it so darned easy to put 2nd, or 10th, or 29th things first? 

How is it that we believing mortals get so far afield of the very basics of God's commands?

I'm talking to myself here, but I'm wondering if you, too, have had this conversation with yourself at any time?  

So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Matthew 6:31-33

How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.   Matthew 7:4-5

... whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,  and whoever wants to be first must be your slave—  just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”   Matthew 20:26-28

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.  Matthew 22:37-38

On account of me you will stand before governors and kings as witnesses to them. And the gospel must first be preached to all nations.  Mark 13:9-10

The first thing Andrew did was to find his brother Simon and tell him, “We have found the Messiah” (that is, the Christ).  John 1:41

“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first."  John 15:18

For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”  Romans 1:17

For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance : that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures ... 1 Corinthians 15:3

I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.  This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.  1 Timothy 2:1-4

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.  James 3:17

We love because he first loved us.  John 4:19

Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first.  Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first.  Revelation 2:4-5

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness ...
Matthew 6:33


11 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, yes! I've had this conversation with myself, too. (I also "go around" with myself about the concrete ways in which what is "first" in my life shows itself.....)

Rosezilla said...

Love this so much! What wonderful verses to live by.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Many are the moments when I ask God, "what are my priorities?, what do you want me to put first of all the many demands being made in my schedule?" It seems like He always answers me, by telling me, "to rest in Him", to "trust in Him to direct me". I love that He knows that I am like a sheep and that I desperately need His moment by moment direction. I find such great comfort there.

Debbie said...

Oh I LOVED these scriptures...some of my fav's....your so right too of course...WHY do we put soo many other things first?! Glad you shared all of these...HUGS

Gwendolyn said...

I love to highlight words as they are repeated over and over in one passage. Also graphing sentences really draws light from the Scriptures and I do that often when a meaning is not immediately clear...and then WOW it pops out! Anyway you study it, the Word of God is so rich with wisdom. Yes, why do we not take to heart these verses and get our priorities straight. I for one, need the reminders!

Karen Lange said...

Wow. What a great reminder! And yes, I've had conversations like that. Often! I think people would laugh or shake their heads at the things that float around in my head. :)

Thanks and blessings,
Karen

Granny said...

I followed your link from a comment on another blog, and am now a new follower. I love your scriptures and have often found myself wondering about my priorities. I look forward to reading more posts. Hope you can visit my blog sometime at http://lovegranny.blogspot.com Have a blessed week!

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

Great post! Love how you reminded us about those "firsts" that should be "first" in our lives!!

~Beth

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Yes and amen...I could use that list posted on my bathroom mirror...and how about I Timothy 2:1-4 - praying and giving thanks for those in leadership and authority over our nation. Somehow I will remember to pray for personal friends and forget those who run our nation.

a woman who is said...

Great devotional today =)

Peggy said...

Thank you for this reminder to put Him first above all else. If we do that, everything else will fall into place.