Friday, June 17, 2011

When the Earth Is Flat

This, then, is the contemporary map of the known world circa 1300s.  Beyond the known was the dreadful unknown, where men would encounter hideous dragons and, most likely, fall off the edge and into a hideous abyss.  Thus, the map-makers of yesteryear hadn't a clue what lay beyond the known boundaries of man's existence.  Their surmises were born in the soup of ignorance & fear.

Lay this map next to today's topographical designs & global glories, and one wonders if that former map isn't, in many senses, decidedly more correct? 

What constituted the worldview of those days, or the map-making science employed at the time?  We are told, according to Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, "The animal called a dragon is a winged crocodile with a serpent's tail; whence the words serpent and dragon are sometimes interchangeable."  Furthermore, says Brewer, the word "dragon" was used "by ecclesiastics of the Middle Ages as the symbol of sin in general and paganism in particular.  The metaphor is derived from Revelation 12:9, where Satan is termed 'the great dragon'." 

Is it any wonder, then, that Christopher Columbus - ahead of setting sail towards the unknown world - filled those rimmed edges with this phrase:  There Be God.  He knew that no matter what he encountered he would find God already there.  Perhaps his confidence was bolstered from reading the book of Isaiah (40:22) wherein it is said:

"He (God) sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
and its people are like grasshoppers."

Many a map-maker could have spared themself the erroneous flaw, as well as the anxiety producing hopelessness of flat-earth thinking had they known God's word.  I dare say most other erroneous thoughts or worldviews could be dismissed likewise.

At the edge of our unknowns - be they sorrows, or scaries, or worrisomes, or desperations, or just change in general - we can know our world is not flat, and that He truly meets us where ever we are.  We can know There Be God.  

Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

12 comments:

RCUBEs said...

Everything God had already mentioned from before even with the "blood as the source of life..." I can imagine Him smiling even laughing at any discoveries by men and perhaps asking the same way He asked Job:

"Do you still want to argue with the Almighty? You are God's critic, but do you have the answers?" - Job 40:2

I don't understand at this time the purpose of this battle I'm in at my workplace. But I do know He does and He constantly reminds me that He is with me going through this tough time. He is the sole reason why I'm remaining strong. Glory be to God! I love that you put emphasis on "circle". If explorers saw that, they would say "Duh!"

Loren said...

As I get older and learn the devastating effects of "fear" and how it literally paralyzes you, I am soo thankful the Lord provides ALL I NEED to conquer the fear! I often wonder if our times are truly "far worse" than these we read about in History. Bottom line, all the emotions & fears, were generally very similar, yet the circumstances are night and day different. Those who know God and HIS Word (and who trust & rely on it) most likely "go forth" with HIM and those who don't allow the fear to keep them paralyzed. So sad. Going forth with Christ is such an adventure and getting to the other side of that fear or that mountain per se') is such a wonderful Journey!!!

Great word as usual Kathleen! Love you! Hope your husband has a very special Fathers Day!

*The Old Geezer said...

I rarely think of myself as being like a grasshopper but God obviously does. So perhaps I should take a closer look in the mirror to see if I can spot any antlers growing out of my head! :-)

skoots1mom said...

great post
'you have a lot to learn, glass hopper!' hahahahah
i so remember david carradine in the kungfu show being called grasshopper...
;)

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

You went right down the road I thought you were going to travel with this one...yes, I can't see what this life holds, my views may even be flat when they should be round, but I can go to His word and know that anywhere there is GOD!

Nancy said...

What a thought provoking post....."enthroned above the circle of the earth".......I don't think I have ever read that particular piece of Scripture before....Fear can be paralyzing but thank goodness God has us in His hand on this "circle of the earth" and there is nothing to fear and He is all we need......

Happy Father's Day weekend........

Saleslady371 said...

And even today so many genius scientists and talented researchers do not recognize Him and here I am a little saleslady from AZ who feels His presence and sees His hand throughout my day. I know He exists and I know I will live with Him for all eternity. Amazing how that is.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Psalms 23:4...what comfort and security offered to me in this somewhat dark and evil world. Just as God had a plan for our country via Christopher Columbus, so He has a plan for me today. "Amazing Grace How Sweet The Sound"

Sonja said...

THERE BE GOD!

It's the answer we need for everything, and that will never change! It's enough to make me shout a big AMEN from Texas tonight.. can you hear it?? :)

xo

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

super great post...so glad that I stopped by tonight...Happy Sunday

myletterstoemily said...

what a great post! so interesting and
profound. i have loved the "circle"
verse, as it shows His great wisdom
and desire to impart it to us.

Sheryl said...

"There Be God"

Amazing the power in those three words. No matter where I am, the pain, the unknowns...THERE BE GOD.

Oh what a gift.

I love you my friend.
S