Sunday, June 5, 2011

Wallops and Other Means


Human flourishing is found only by
living in obedience to God’s revealed plan.
Our rebellion against the Creator is never so insidious
as when we declare that our own plan is superior to his.
~ Albert Mohler

That packs a wallop, doesn't it?



In my heart-of-hearts I consider myself to be a reasonably upbeat, half-full-cup sorta lady.  I lean in the direction of seeing all of life through the prism of God's love.  It's how I derive hope from hopelessness, courage from (or in) trial, peace for the journey (with Elaine), and faith to keep on, keepin' on.  Add a dose of humor, and how could it get any better?

Even so, know that I have my own plans ...

In the context of this post, as well as in Mohler's quote above, plans equal schemes.  Same same.  Then, if we consult with Merriam, he tells us that such a thing in the verb sense means to devise, or to plot.  It does not have an altogether positive connotation.   

Most of the time the alchemy of my planning is quite noble.  But even when it isn't, I can certainly convince myself it is.  Then, in the course of time, along comes a lightbulb (or a club) that reveals what's truly what.

Today I'm searching out the scriptures to see if I can find the word wallop anywhere.  Something tells me I'll find it hitched to the wagon called Obedience.

Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting. 
Psalm 139:23-24 

20 comments:

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

This is serious business, walloping obedience, but you said it with such humor here, I couldn't help but smile. Knowing how I've ridden that wagon with a goose egg of a wallop to show for it. Yup.

Sonja said...

well this packs a wallop for me too Kathleen, and why do I KNOW you are right when you link the whole thing to obedience! I love the way your brain works... and I do get this message! :)

xo

RCUBEs said...

This brought me to thinking:

"A simple man believes anything, but a prudent man gives thought to his steps." (Prov.14:15)

The Scripture you posted at the bottom is my prayer during my battle at work at this time. I know that through a trial He alone can remove any bumps on the road that hinder our spiritual growth. Great post! God bless.

skoots1mom said...

VERY well said ;)
my wallops come as 'thumps on the head' like from jethro on ncis

Diana Ferguson said...

Great post and scripture!

Rita said...

Wow... thanks for the wallop! We need to obey, for it brings blessings!

Nancy said...

I am so glad I found your blog so much so that I am your newest follower.......we have alot in common....

Your post is so revelant....We all do want our own way don't we even though our words say otherwise.....Only lving moment by moment with our Father will we ever be able to be obedient......Wonderful post....

I look forward to many more visits......

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Okay...I got walloped. Great post and I have to grin as I continue to tell God how our journey should be going right now...as if He needed my advice.
Obedience!

Rebecca said...

You've nailed ANOTHER lesson into me with that wallop!

Psalm 139 was our Scripture reading this morning. As my pastor/husband read it, pictures on the power point screen illustrated it. It's one of my favorite Psalms.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

You were with me today in spirit, but then again I think that was your "plan" all along. A good one in my estimation.

Of this I am certain tonight... somewhere in Fayetteville roams your twin. Perhaps I'll meet her again in the Wal-Mart line.

peace~elaine

Denise said...

Awesome post my friend, very well said.

LisaShaw said...

A wallop and a mouth full! Thank you for the meaty message of challenge and encouragement!

You chose one of the Scriptures I use as a prayer Psalm 139:23-24.

May my plans only be to walk in obedience to His plans and when I fail may the Holy Spirit grab hold of me and may I quickly respond and get back on the track of His plan for no other plan is worth the living.

Love you.

Terri Tiffany said...

Great point-- I think we all have our own schemes and for me--that's what gets me in trouble!

Andrea said...

I left Sonia's blog to come here and find yet another "BIG" something GOD is trying to get through to me. Thank you for being a willing vessel. GOD BLESS YOU!
Hugs,
andrea

Peggy said...

Your post packed a wallop for me, too. Certainly something to think about, how my striving, my rebellion, wanting my own way, are not the way to live to please God. Thanks for stepping on my toes.

Beth E. said...

There is no better feeling in the world than when we are living in true obedience to God!

Alchemy?? Shew, Sassy, you got me with that one! Better dust off the dictionary....

Hugs

Nel said...

I agree! You have such a way of expressing yourself! I always feel like I have been fed when I visit your blog! Thank you!
until next time... nel

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

You said a mouthful, Kathleen!

We'd live in a nicer, more peaceful world if we obeyed Him.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Just a little something from Judy said...

Why, oh why doesn't my brain and thought processes work like yours? I read this post, reread it, and smiled to myself even though I felt like crying:) I know I need some wallops and many more lessons on trust and obedience in my loving Heavenly Father.

RonJoe 'Geezer' said...

I usually have to be hit on top of my head before the light comes on. Praise God that He cares enough for me to use "the club" to get my attention even when I try to run and duck :-)