Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Table Tutoring

I'd not heard the term used before, but it sure resonated with me when I did:  "I grew up at the kitchen table."   When I heard the term spoken, it was in contrast to growing up in school, or on the job - as if better credentials come via those, more formal means.



We had such a kitchen table, and let me tell you I did a whole lot of growing up there myself.  It was not only the domain of family meals, but the realm of homework doing, Christmas card addressing & gift wrapping, lecture telling, socializing, discipline meting, or play.  

I can't think of my parents without three vivid images coming into focus:  
  • Their kneeling in prayer beside their bed each night to pray
  • Their snuggling on Saturday nights to watch Lawrence Welk & eat popcorn
  • Their Sunday morning coffee sipping/paper reading at the kitchen table
If mother was the heart of our home, then the kitchen was the heart of her rule.  

Truly then, my sisters and I grew up at that kitchen table; and the credentials we accrued from that growing have served us long & well over the years.  No lesson learned in school, or at play, on through work has ever equaled what was wrought in our home.

What a good day it is to be grateful for that unique classroom; and to thank God for such smart, devoted tutors in my life!

12 comments:

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

I love this...maybe that is why I am so attached to my own tables. This just reminds me to keep that table the center of our gatherings in our home! This is great!

Debbie said...

Good morning! Yes, what wonderful memories you have, and lifelong lessons you no doubt learned. How blessed you were. I am afriad my upbringing was quite different. It is the way I tried to raise my kids though, and hopefully they have good memories to reflect back on and be grateful for. Believe it or not I have never heard the phrase, "grew up at the kitchen table" but I LOVE it. Have a wonderful day Kathleen! HUGS

Saleslady371 said...

I also grew up in the unique classroom of the kitchen, the focus of activity in our small home. It was in the kitchen that I learned to be a team player. It was there that I learned how to love people and entertain them first hand from a mother who did it with pizazz. I'm so thankful for those days.

Nel said...

What a wonderful post. I don't remember a lot of book learning at the kitchen table, but I do remember that was the gathering place. It is funny we had a comfortable living room but when company come they always sat at the kitchen table. I used to sit and listen for hours at my mom and her sisters talking. I did learn at the table but about family and love. And I am happy for that.

until next time... nel

Sheryl said...

wow! you know me, i am nothing but honest. and my honest response is...i am beyond jealous!! on so many levels. but if you didn't have that "table time" you would not be the friend you are to me today!

Karen Lange said...

I've always loved a big kitchen, for it's the center of our activities now and when our children were growing up. Never thought of it as "table time". I like that! It is a blessing to know that God uses our time together (even if it's not in the kitchen:).

So glad you shared this with us! Have a wonderful weekend.

Blessings,
Karen

LisaShaw said...

I absolutely love this Kathleen for it reminds me of the very same only it was Grandma and Grandpa's dinning room table. It was wood but everything else you said applies. It was also the table under which I would some times lay at Grandma's feet and listen to her sing to the LORD as she did her church paper work.

Thank you for bringing to mind some great memories!

Love you.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

And we all had our assigned spots around that table, did we not?

Funny, not so much so for my kids today. Perhaps we need to come to the table more...

I'm sure there's a great lesson in there somewhere; give me a while to chew on it.

peace~elaine

Rita said...

What a wonderful post and what memories it brought back! My family always gathered around the table to talk. My husband just could not understand why we always end up at the table for discussions, but that is the way we did things at home and it has continued in my own home.

Cheryl Barker said...

Love the images of your parents that you keep in your heart. The kitchen table has been important in the life of our family, too. In fact, I wrote a blog post about our table and then revised and polished it and have been submitting it various places. No takers yet. Darn! :)

Just a little something from Judy said...

Who but you could call it "table tutoring"? But, my friend, that is exactly what it was. Over the years, that is where I too learned many valuable, life changing lessons. Early in the morning, at 6:00am we met at the kitchen table and in candlelight we ate our cereal and toast. You shared this so beautifully that it actually took me back to those years. Thank God for "table tutoring" and for women like you who remind me of what a gift it was. Oh, how thankful I am that you blog.

Diana Ferguson said...

Love this post!!! Thanks for sharing with us at the table.