Monday, June 13, 2011

Soils & Seeds

Have you ever seen the movie, Secondhand Lions?  If not, consider this a personal recommendation. 

The entire story is fabulously funny, with a plot line that moves decidely through the heart.  In one scene we find the bib-overall-clad characters diligently planting & labeling their assorted rows of corn, beans & carrots; and a few scenes later we find them surveying - to their utter amazement - an entire crop of corn!  No beans.  No carrots.  Seems they've been duped by a less than noble Seed Salesman!  They had not even considered that one seed might differ from another seed.

Today I'm taking inventory of the seeds in my cache.  I'm no farmer, but I do know that it takes great wisdom & skill to prepare a place for them; and then equal wisdom & skill in caring for them until they are harvestable. 



Recently I spent time with someone diametrically opposed to the Christian worldview - from the veracity of God's word as found in scripture, to His design for living.  After a noble period of patience on my part (a period far less than seventy x seven, I can assure you), I found myself lobbing seeds at him as though one - if not many - might implant themselves.  I'm not sure what I accomplished, but I can tell you I have no idea what - if anything - will come up, or when. 

I wonder if there's there a spiritual component to the planting-of-kinds methodology?  For instance, if I want to see peace in my life (or theirs), can I expect such a crop to grow if I to plant intolerance?  Or, if I'd hope to see a crop of faith might it spring forth in the soil of doubt?  Does fear, when it germinates, become hope? 

We know what it means to sow one's wild oats ... It isn't a condition linked solely to the unbeliever as it is a condition linked to the unwise.

"Sow the wind
and reap the whirlwind.
The stalk has no head;
it will produce no flour.
Were it to yield grain,
foreigners would swallow it up.
Hosea 8:7


Obviously it matters where seeds are planted, and by Whom.  Thus kinds become vitally relevant.

“Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted
will be pulled up by the roots.
Leave them; they are blind guides.
If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.”
Matthew 15:10-14

Back to inventorying my cache ...

14 comments:

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Oh I started laughing at the beginning of this, this movie was brought up on my comments just this morning, since it is one of my favorite movies.

Oh seeds...yes so true in all areas, how can I produce the harvest in my own life if I am not planting the right seed. I am so glad I am not responsible for the planting, the watering and harvesting, that God brings in the harvest. Today He is showing me where I need to plant seeds of prayer and grab my hoe to uproot the weeds of sin in my own spiritual garden.

As always...a very timely word in due season.

Sonja said...

so many 'seeds for thoughts!' Makes me sit and mull a little here, and always some inventory is good for me! :)

Mary Ann... said...

That was a great movie! And what a great post! I too have had many a lesson on planting seeds. It is so true that we 'reap what we sow.' Many seeds in my life I wish I'd never planted... but God never fails to correct and teach me! And that '70 times 7'.... I don't think I've made it yet. But there's hope. :)

Terri Tiffany said...

Today in fact I was thinking about how much I used to plant seeds all around me--and loved it--and now I think back and my garden is sparse. Thank you for the reminder.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

All I can say is I pray that the seeds I planted for the kingdom last week will outgrow the angry ones I planted into the hearts of my children. It's been a very rough summer thus far.

peace~elaine

Debbie said...

I will have to look for this movie now, thanks for the heads up. And I have thought about this often recently. We are planting seeds everyday that we WILL harvest now won't we? But what kind of seeds are they? Very thought provoking post.

Saleslady371 said...

It helps when bloggers like you remind me that I am always planting seeds! Taking inventory with you, today and hoping I'm planting good seed on good soil!

Hugs,
Mary

Nancy said...

That is one of my favorite movies.....it will make you laugh and laugh........

You have given us many thoughts to ponder today.....
I think about how much time and effort it takes to tend to my garden and I am often reminded that it also takes time for the seed planted in someone else's heart to grow along with much time and energy invested.....

God's always on time....

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

I've never heard of this movie, Kathleen. It sounds like something I'd enjoy.

In my modest experience as a gardener, the soil is critical to success. It must have the appropriate nutrients, soft and pliable, and hold the water that releases food into the plants.

Perhaps we try to plant before doing soil prep. I've learned that prayer is essential to this process.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Garden Lady said...

One of my favorite movies. Thought provoking post, guess I'll be doing some seed inventorying as well

Karen Lange said...

Good post! Driving home some points I've been pondering, so thank you! :) I have not seen that movie but have heard good things about it. Will check it out.

Have a lovely rest of the week!
Blessings,
Karen

Just a little something from Judy said...

I would like to see a movie you recommend so this will go on my list. As I watch everything come alive in the soil around our home, I am reminded again of how little control I have in it all. My Master Gardener enriches the soil, brings life to all the seeds and perenials and sends the rain. It is all about Him and so little about me. He knows how much I am proned to planting wrong seeds. I am awed by it all. This has been another thought provoking post.

RCUBEs said...

I could picture you being antsy to share about His love and grace...It is a good reminder that it is the Lord Who can make those seeds we share grow. I think by initiating a gentle conversation, somehow, the dry ground is being loosened up to at least receive some of the seeds. God bless.

Peggy said...

I love reading your posts because they are so wise and always make me stop and think. I am, in fact, planting new seeds in my life right now and looking to see how they grow.