Thursday, May 5, 2011

Mother's Day Reflections (Reprised)

Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD
is to be praised.
Give her the reward she has earned,

and let her works bring her
praise at the city gate.
 
Proverbs 41-30-31


Born Helen Evelyn Grinnell on August 26, 1907, my mother was anything but typical.

Oh, you can be sure she enjoyed all things prissy - frilly dresses, fancy "do"s, and the like - but she also had an eye for the adventurous.

She was a bold & courageous woman, though such sturdy attributes were often shaded by her tendency towards fretting, and the fact that her tongue was sometimes sharp.


From her young years on a farm in South Dakota, to her making her own way to Washington State (where providentially she met and married my father), mother was first-and-foremost a "lady".

I cannot recall her memory, or honor her motherhood without somehow linking her to her young years. She was a much-beloved child, and so it is no wonder that we - her four daughters - were equally beloved.

Too, mother was every bit my father's equal. Certainly they had diverse roles in the family, but she never missed an opportunity to join him in fly-fishing, berry picking, yard puttering, or basement chores. His workbench could be seen just feet from her laundry sink. Often they spent their evenings together attending to their respective chores; and every Saturday night you'd find them watching Lawrence Welk together; snuggled closely and munching popcorn. Oh how they loved to dance! I am the youngest of Helen's four daughters. While my sisters leaned strongly on their bonds to our father, my own formed closest to my mother. Perhaps that's because I was unplanned, unexpected, but never unwanted (as was my own youngest) - the child of their mid-40s; mother 42 and Dad 46 when I arrived.

(I can't help but notice the resemblance in this picture of me at 6 mos, and the one of her above at the same age.)

She's gone now, leaving us in 1976 for a better land. I'll see her again; of that I'm certain. She loved her Jesus - - and her well-worn Bible is the most enduring of her legacies. 


I will tell her, then, all those things I forget or neglected to say while she was nearest my hands, or I in her arms. 

Today, and for the several days to come ahead of Mother's Day, I simply wish to honor her, to rise up and call her blessed. Her worth, to me, is far above rubies!




A mother is a person who,
seeing there are only four pieces of pie
for five people, promptly announces
she never did care for pie.
~Tenneva Jordan

14 comments:

Rita said...

What a lovely post honoring your mother. She looked like a very adventurous woman, one who knew her own mind. Thank you for sharing her with us. Happy Mother's Day!

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

I loved all the pictures and hearing about her, your Mother. Thanks for sharing her.

Debbie said...

What a lovely tribute to a perfectly lovely woman! Happy Mother's day to you! BLESSINGS!

Peggy said...

What a beautiful post honoring your mother. My wonderful mother passed away August 18, 2010. It is hard going through this first Mother's day without her. I cherish the memories of her and I know she's in a better place and I will see her one day.

Just a little something from Judy said...

This is truly one of the most beautiful tributes to a very special lady. I can say for certain, that every mother would be so blessed to read the words of your post, from their daughter's heart. The quote you shared at the end, is one I have read often and it always reminds me of my dear mother.

Saleslady371 said...

I see so much more than just physical resemblance, Kathleen! Very pretty wedding pic. That is going to be some homecoming!

Wishing you a happy Mother's Day.
Love,
Mary

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

What beautiful pictures of your mother. She certainly is a character just like you my friend. I am so happy you have the memories of her and your dad. Being the last born is so special and unexpected. My son was the unexpected one and I was too. Have a wonderful mother's day my friend.
I know our mother's are watching from Heaven.
Blessings and hugs,

Bren

Kay said...

A well worn Bible really is the most enduring legacy. Love your pics. Just so sweet. Happy Mother's Day.

myletterstoemily said...

you were beloved much like my youngest, the
baby of her elder years. i bet you brought her
much joy! what a lovely tribute to her.

happy mother's day,
lea

Sonja said...

You've said it for all of us here. Such a beautiful loving tribute. Won't it be a glorious day to see our mother's again!

Happy Mothers Day my friend!

xo

Toia said...

This is beautiful and loving tribute in honor of your mother. Blessings to you on this wonderful post!! Happy Mother's Day!!

RCUBEs said...

I enjoyed reading about your mother and wow...those beautiful pics! Happy Mother's Day to you sister and I'm just thankful because of the Lord, we can look forward to seeing our loving mothers someday. God bless.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

She is so lovely, Sassy! Stunningly beautiful. And I love that she had just as much "sas" as her youngest daughter!

Love you, friend.

peace~elaine
PS: Computer on the brink of disaster, so I'm not doing a lot of reading these days. My parents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary this past weekend, and now my oldest will be graduating from college this weekend. Busy life; grateful life!

Terri Tiffany said...

I love the picture of her in the creek! She sounds amazing and you were really blessed:)