Monday, May 16, 2011

From on High



It was late evening in 1991 when we boarded our flight from New York to London, having already spent an entire day getting from Seattle to New York.  There's just no easy route when heading over the pond, as they say (whoever they are), so weariness was already threatening.  I had hoped to sleep during this leg of our considerable journey; but I hadn't anticipated the wonders we'd behold along the way - wonders that caused sleep to lose it's charm.

Umpty-umpty feet above the earth we made our way through thick clouds until, at long last we were far above, and looking down upon them.  The earth had disappeared from view altogether.  The fast fading daylight gave the billowy clouds a surreal appearance; as if they were a world unto themselves - one of verdant & mystical landscapes.  I could see hills & valleys & mountains made of cloud-stuff.  There below me, and in plain view were enchanted forests straight from Narnia, or the Land of Nod.

Once night fell (and it fell fast and hard as we headed up and over the globe's surface), the clouds went from enchanted to eerie  A storm brewed, and for most of the flight, and the night we looked down upon flashes of lightning - like a million Tinkerbells joined into a Riverdance below us, or like popcorn exploding into puffs of light.  At times the plane shook and rattled, as if those light prisms were warning us to scoot along.

It's next to impossible to view a storm today without a deja vu from that London-bound flight.  What is beheld from the bottom up is simply no equal to what is beheld from the top down. I suppose that's why I was so deeply stirred when I read this excerpt from yesterday's Streams in the Desert e-Devotional:

O child of God! If you could see your sorrows and troubles from the other side; if instead of looking up at them from earth, you would look down on them from the heavenly places where you sit with Christ; if you knew how they are reflecting in prismatic beauty before the gaze of Heaven, the bright light of Christ’s face, you would be content that they should cast their deep shadows over the mountain slopes of existence. Only remember that clouds are always moving and passing before God’s cleansing wind.

I am able then, with a memory's glance, to sit in wide-eyed wonder at the storms below ...

15 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Sweetie...
What a beautiful write this morning. You made my heart "SMILE". What a beautiful way to look at things. Reflecting in prismatic beauty, gorgeous.

I can't wait to see future posts as you enjoy your beautiful trip in London. How exciting is this? I can't wait. Have a glorious trip my sweet friend. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Beautiful!

Sonja said...

This might be one of my very favorite of your posts! What a picture. I felt the same when we flew to Norway last summer. Seeing the view from above gave me a new perspective, and makes this Streams in the Desert writing more real and vivid in my heart today.

I needed this! What an encouragement!! (There's that word again... encouragement :) )

xo

Deborah Ann said...

I have just got to get that book! Just lovely. I can so relate to your flight and many of my own. Once I even got to look down on a rainbow and a sunset! God's view is breathtaking...

Rebecca said...

How many times MY clouds have been blown away by reminders from "Streams..." or "My Utmost....".

Or words from an old (or new) song...."When darkness veils His lovely face, I rest on His unchanging grace...." or "Back of the clouds, the sun is always shining."

God bless and keep you in His grace today, Kathleen!

Karen Lange said...

Thank you Kathleen. I needed this today.

Peggy said...

What a beautifully descriptive post. I believe God sees things from a "helicopter perspective" & sometimes when we're close to Him, He let's us see from that perspective, too. I love your word pictures.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Praying that any moment in my life over these past months have cast a sparkling reflection from the Father's perspective.

"For now we see dimly..."

But one day, friend, just as clearly as He does. Oh for that day...

peace~elaine

Rita said...

What a beautiful post today! I just can't imagine how God feels when He looks down on us. I hope He is glad that He made us all!

Terri Tiffany said...

Wonderful--Thank you again:)

Carla Olson Gade said...

This is a beautiful picture. Thank you for sharing this special post!

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

Your post is a great reminder to look at situations from God's point of view. As usual, your descriptions paint vivid pictures.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Just a little something from Judy said...

I thank God for you tonight! I thank Him that He uses beautiful vessels like you, to encourage me. I can't tell you how much I loved reading this post. The picture, the illustration that will stick with me for life, and the inspiring truths from "Streams in the Desert". This blessed my tired heart in such a refreshing way. Thank you my dear friend.

RonJoeWhite said...

Kathleen, If only we could view our life and others through the eyes of God. What a different perspective we would have.

LisaShaw said...

Dear friend,

This stirred my heart today and by the time I read the devotional at the end I was in tears...

I can't express in words what I'm feeling so I took it to God in prayers of thanksgiving.

I'm going to print this off and keep it.

I pray that all is well with you dear one! Praying God's favor over you and your family.

Much love,
Lisa