Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Doomsday Wait

Here I sit, waiting for the world to end.  Tedious stuff.  But we've been told - unequivocally: The world is ending today, May 21!


I've never been very good about waiting.  Nine months of pregnancy was never my cup of tea; nor was the distance between planning a vacation and actually being on that vacation.  Waiting in long lines at the grocery store or at Disneyland tightened my jaw & troubled my feet.  No, I dare say waiting is my least favorite condition.

So I'm thinking, since the world is about to end (so THEY say):  What shall I do while I wait? 

This is where I could:
  • Pull out my dusty soapbox and set up shop on the street-corner.  Nothing like a little doomsday-saying to fill the waiting void.
  • Prepare my final meal(s), like someone on death row, just ahead of execution (tough choices here, given the vast array of possible delicacies).  You know:  eat, drink & be merry.
  • Not be merry whatsoever, but to crawl beneath my bed in hopes of being overlooked; somehow escaping the doom to come.
  • Pretend there's nothing to wait for (my favorite).

Or maybe I could just relax and remember (and obey) what I've been told to do while I wait - though NOT for the world's end, but for the return of the world's Rightful King who will establish His rule throughout the universe:

Then Jesus (after He had risen from the dead) came to them and said, 
All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father and 
of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,  
and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. 
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. 
Matthew 28:19-20

That's pretty clear to me:  Go, make disciples, baptize, teach.  Live, and live well!  This waiting thing is not to be with the wringing of hands or the saying of dooms.  It's about hope, hopefulness and the amazing gift hard-won for me (and you). 

I am to be His witness - living proof that He changes things; He changes people.  He changed me. 

I hope today's doomsdayers figure that out while they wait.

He (Jesus) said to them: 
“It is not for you to know the times or dates
(of the end of the age, NOT the
end of the world)
the Father has set by his own authority. 
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you;
and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, 
and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.

After He said this, He was taken up before their very eyes, 
and a cloud hid him from their sight. 

They were looking intently up into the sky as He was going, 
when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them. 
Men of Galilee,” they said,
why do you stand here looking into the sky

This same Jesus, who has been taken 
from you into heaven, 
will come back in the same way 
you have seen Him go into heaven.”  
Acts 1:7-11


Now THAT'S worth the wait!

15 comments:

Rebecca said...

It was sort of like they were told, "Don't just STAND there - DO something!"

Live for Jesus. Watch. Wait. Be ready whenEVER He returns....

Debbie said...

This was sooo good. Every little point you made. It scares me sometimes how much I live in oblivion to what is going on around me. But when I first about this a few days ago I honestly thought surely they are not serious. HOW could they think such a thing? What about Mark 13:31-33

Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time comes

How is it that Jesus Himself does not know, but THEY somehow do?? But then I thought some more on it and my first reaction was not of doom or fear but of excitement and joy. What IF this is the day our Lord returns?? How wonderful would that be? To begin our eternities together with Him. Not to suffer or grow old (older, haha) and die. Can't think of a better end to it all. But then I began to think of people I know who are not saved. Suddenly the urgency to tell everyone I could come across who might listen became stronger and stronger. It is WHY we are really here in the first place when you think about it. WHAT would we all do if we REALLY did know the day and the hour were to be for His return? But then maybe that is why we don't. Why we are not suppose to...Because we are to live EVERY day as if it were our last. Every day telling all who will listen about Him. Thanks for posting this Kathleen. Have a wonderful day!

Lynn said...

Amen!! I believe too, that *Only* our Heavenly Father knows the exact time and date that the end will come!

Blessings,
~Lynn

Sonja said...

We're on the same page today! Just waiting for the world to end. And really... my heart says what your word today says... live and act accordingly, since we don't know the day or hour... get going Sonja!

xo

Rita said...

I'm eager for Him to return too, but as the Bible says, no man knows the day nor the hour, so you are right live, live, live and live rightly before the Lord.

Debbie said...

I love that you and Sonja were on the same page here today. Yes, we should be about our business while it is still light. No one knows the day or the hour except the Father. And I'll leave that time to Him and keep on living by faith.

Love you,
Debbie

skoots1mom said...

living every day like it's THE day. I haven't seen Him in the Eastern sky yet...have you?

deodate said...

Just found your blog so I'm happy that I don't buy any of this either...this way I can re-visit you tomorrow!
Andie

Beth E. said...

I'm still here, Sassy! :-) Great post, sweet friend.

Linda Hoye said...

Amen. And amen.

myletterstoemily said...

you are completely right, and i totally
agree . . . but i have to admit thinking
about it a few times today. i can't
imagine what a person not grounded
in the Word has been thinking.

Denise said...

Such an awesome post my friend.

Sonja said...

:) Me too! So on we go...

Terri Tiffany said...

And here we are today:)) How sad for those who sold off their belongings and quit their jobs.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've spent the last two weeks teaching my few SS kids about the "Great Commission." It's been a fun "teach" an oh so relevant for the day and age we're living in. I love what Beth Moore says about it not being the "Great Omission" but the Great Commission.

No Christian gets a pass on this one!

peace~elaine