Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Scenes from a Sabbatical

STRONGHOLD

1:a fortified place

2a : a place of security or survival
 
What joy has been my sabbatical!  It's contained a huge spiritual component, but one of industry as well.  Hubby and I have focused our energies on yet another move; and it's with great relief that I report that we are 90% settled.  
 
This has also been a time to pause & rewind as I announced on April 9.  In the nearly three weeks since, I've re-discovered the joy of some old things and added the joy of some new things.  I am challenged.  I am excited. 
 
As is often the case when I begin digging around in God's word, a new concept begins to emerge as a recurring theme.  The subject of strongholds is one such emergent.  I hope to write more about scenes from a sabbatical, but for now let me just share this:
 
We are either a victim or victor where strongholds are concerned. 
It depends on Who/what has the strong hold ... 
We either hide from Him or in Him.
 
 
 
‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says:
I am about to desecrate My sanctuary—
the stronghold in which you take pride,
the delight of your eyes,
the object of your affection. 
Ezekiel 24:21
 
The Lord is like an enemy; he has swallowed up Israel.
He has swallowed up all her palaces
and destroyed her strongholds. 
Lamentations 2:5
 
An enemy will overrun your land,
pull down your strongholds
and plunder your fortresses 
Amos 3:11


OR ...

 
David sang to the LORD the words of this song ...
"The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; 
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield and the horn of my salvation. 
 He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
from violent people you save me.
2 Samuel 22:1-3  

The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed,
a stronghold in times of trouble. 
Psalm 9:9

Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation—
 whom shall I fear?
of whom shall I be afraid? 
Psalm 27:1

The salvation of the righteous comes from the LORD;
He is their stronghold in time of trouble. 
Psalm 37:39


The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world.
On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds
2 Corinthians 10:4





I look forward to getting around to visiting each of you in the days to come.  I've missed you, and I'm eager to catch up on your lives.  You are such a blessing to me!

12 comments:

Cindy said...

Glad to see you back! Looking forward to more insights from the sabbatical.

Debbie said...

Welcome back. Looks like you have had some wonderful insights in that sabbatical of yours. I LOVED these thoughts. I will especially be dwelling on this...We are either a victim or victor where strongholds are concerned.
It depends on Who/what has the strong hold ...
We either hide from Him or in Him. Soo true!

Just a little something from Judy said...

"Greater is He that is in us than He that is in the world". This and all of your "victor" verses leaves us with the feeling of peace and security on this Thurday morning. So happy to have you back. You and your inspiration were missed.

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

Hmmm, sounds like we may benefit from your Sabbatical. :) Can't wait to hear more.

Cheryl Barker said...

So thankful that the Lord, the God of all heaven and earth, is my stronghold!

Congrats on your move and good luck as you finish settling in!

KelliGirl said...

Welcome back from your sabbatical. (Sounds so much more purposed and important than "a break.") So glad you're settling in to your new digs. Are pictures coming soon?

I totally understand about losing focus. That is one (of many) things that I loved about being in Haiti. Every day was planned and filled with purpose. I wish I could bring some of that to my life here at home. I feel like I have spiritual ADD!

Looking forward to more insights...

Blessings,
Kelli

Saleslady371 said...

Psalm 37 is so very powerful and one I pray often. Please share with us more wisdom so we can grow with you!

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Wow another move..you have more in you than I do.

This is great...strongholds. I remember singing that I wanted the Lord to shake everything that wasn't Him...what a request, I had no clue what I was asking, and I am sure He isn't finished. I am glad He is my refuge and stronghold.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Welcome back! We missed you.

I can see the sabbatical brought much revelation. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Sheryl said...

i learned so much about strongholds while doing Beth Moore's "Breaking Free" study 5 times!!

my stronghold has gotten ahold of me again instead of Christ being my stronghold. i am on my out now though. PRAISE GOD.

and i am glad you're back.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Victim or victor... the sorting out of it all can be a righteous and vigorous struggle.

I get this one. In the midst of struggle right now.

peace~elaine

*The Old Geezer said...

Being refreshed in the Lord is a wonderful thing to do :-)