Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Thoughts from the Cubby

I've been visiting my childhood today.  I'm not sure what brought about this current volley, but I do know my long ago youth comes to call frequently.  Always it arrives with the most delightful of connotations.  Rare were the days when my proverbial parade got rained upon as a youngster. 

Today's musings have taken me back to that pitched space just beneath the high, 2nd story roof trusses of our home.  We called it the cubby hole; and actually we had three of them.  The one that was adjacent to my bedroom was my favorite, for there within was a world like no other - - at least a world like no other to a child of five, or eight, or ten.

The olders - Dolores & Barbara - stored their treasured, previously read books there.  How baffled was I to turn page-after-page with nary a picture in sight, causing me to wonder how anyone could actually enjoy such a book.  No pictures.  No pleasure.  Even so, I'd rifle through them, stack them by size & shape, smell their mustiness, and commit to make them my own someday.

It was also where mother stored her wrapping papers & tissues, ribbons & gift boxes.  Scores of such items were neatly tucked to one side or, at least they were neatly tucked until I had my way with them.  For hours on end I would select & inspect, re-arrange, organize and play among these non-toys.  I could count on a scolding from mother for making a mess of her storage system, but it was a scolding well worth the having just to handle those pretties.  I seem to remember mother's smiling all the while giving the referenced scolding.  Perhaps she enjoyed those pretties as much as I did.

Farther back, beneath the dark recesses of the eaves, was a world akin to Narnia ... or so I thought.  For many years it was a scary place; one I wouldn't consider venturing into.  In my child's mind, I could envision an ogre there, or the Purple People Eater, or some oversized spider set to capture me in it's web.  But eventually I grew bold, courageous.  I decided to conquer that space and whatever creatures or monsters might abide there.  And conquer I did!  The time came when I made it my personal retreat - a playhouse - a secret little world that allowed me to pretend to my heart's content.

Without much television viewing, no computers or cell phones, and a limited freedom to leave my own yard, I learned to play contentedly by myself.  I am so grateful for those days, knowing that somehow and in some rich way they are very much a part of my todays.

I'd sure like to have a cubby now.

9 comments:

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Sweet Friend...
Oh sweetie, you cubby sounds like such a wonderful place to escape to. I can hear the laughter, see the smiles, and the concentration of having everything just perfect, to suit you of course. How our minds worked, then and even still today.

I have so often been taken back to dreams that we had as kids, and the things that amused us, that kids today would totally die from laughing at us. It was a good time, a happy time, a slower time in this world. We didn't worry about all the things that go on today. Who would have thought of having a phone to go? Or a computer to write a pen pal, we signed up through magazines and actually wrote in our finest penmanship. Imagine that?

Thank you for the memories sweet one. I so enjoyed my visit. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Cindy said...

I remember places like that. I couldn't resist looking through storage boxes!

Rita said...

Oh how different things seem when you are five or ten and then when you are an adult! What fun to go back and rummage through old boxes and see what is in them! I'm trying to go through memories, photograph them and then start culling out!

Sonja said...

AHA!!! So it was in the 'cubby' where your love affair with words began! I can just picture you there. We NEED a cubby... I NEED a cubby!! :)

Cheryl Barker said...

You're so right -- our past days are so much a part of our todays. Loved hearing about some of your precious memories!

Debbie said...

Oh I loved this! What a perfect little spot. I would have loved it too. Still would. I love hearing about the childhoods of those in our age group. Soo many wonderful memories. ; ) Have a good day! HUGS

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Oh how your imagination grew in the just the right soil...makes me think how much mine are missing.
I have never had an attic like that, but I would love to have one for my grandkids...but I must say, in Texas they are usually tooooooooooooo hot to explore in.
What wonderful memories.

Saleslady371 said...

You were so creative back then, too! I loved reading about it. We had a "cubby hole" also!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I suppose mine was the space beneath the stairs. Mom and dad made it into a closet to store our toys. One door led into the den; the other into my dad's office. Funny, it must have been so small but seemed like a treasure trove! My mother recently reflected on that "space" in a conversation, telling me how she cried some hefty tears when they moved from that home. Apparently, it meant something to her as well.

I don't have a cubby today; wish I did. Maybe in that new rambling house you're moving into will have room enough for your creative thought and play. Oh, and I want pictures please...

Oh, and maybe you'll have room enough for a bigger Christmas tree!!!

peace~elaine