Friday, March 25, 2011

Think About It

The incredible faculties of the human mind mystifies me.  I can't consider the brain without some sense of appreciation for how, exactly, man is formed - created - in God's image.  No other creature on earth is anywhere close to being so graciously endowed. 

I don't think about the brain - or my own brain, for that matter - often, or much.  Even so, it's a faculty I use nearly 24/7 - with or without cognition (how about THAT word?), or appreciation.  How shortsighted of me.

However, in the world of all things cyber or virtual, I simply cannot ignore the brain's very REAL capacity to grow, store knowledge, be inspired & inspire in turn, assess, decide, and the like.  I have no difficulty understanding why it is that man uses but a small fraction of it ... or not at all.  It is, plain & simple - a gift meant to be used with great intentionality.

This subject-matter (and gray matter), gives a whole new context to the term:  "Think about it!"

One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating.
Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer,
he asked him, “Of all the commandments,
which is the most important?” 
The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this:
‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and
with all your soul
and with all your mind
and with all your strength.’ 
Mark 12:28-30, Deuteronomy 6:4-5



You needn't read further, but if you're curious at all about this amazing machine, check it out: 




THE CEREBRUM:

Behavior, abstract thought processes, problem solving, attention, creative thought, some emotion, intellect, reflection, judgment, initiative, inhibition, coordination of movements, generalized and mass movements,
some eye movements, sense of smell, muscle movements, skilled movements, some motor skills, physical, reaction, libido (sexual urges),

Occipital Lobe:  vision, reading

Parietal Lobe:  sense of touch (tactile sensation), appreciation of form through touch, response to internal stimuli, sensory combination and comprehension, some language and reading functions, some visual functions

Temporal Lobe:  auditory memories, some hearing, visual memories, some vision pathways, othe memory, music, fear, some language, some speech, some behavior amd emotions, sense of identity

Right Hemisphere:  controls the left side of the body, temporal and spatial relationships, analyzing nonverbal information, communicating emotion

Left Hemisphere: controls the right side of the body, produce and understand language

THE CEREBELLUM:  balance, posture, cardiac, respiratory, and vasomotor centers

THE BRAIN STEM:  Motor and sensory pathway to body and face, vital centers: cardiac, respiratory, vasomotor -  hypothalamus, mMoods and motivation, sexual maturation, temperature regulation, hormonal body processes, optic chiasm, vision and the optic nerve, Pituitary Gland, hormonal body processes, pPhysical maturation, growth (height and form), sexual functioning, spinal cord, conduit and source of sensation and movement, pineal body

The brain is a wonderful organ;
it starts working the moment you get up in the morning
and does not stop until you get into the office.
~ Robert Frost

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.
Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living,
it's a way of looking at life through
the wrong end of a telescope.
Which is what I do, and that enables you
to laugh at life's realities.
~ Dr. Seuss



Resource:  Enchanted Learning, The Human Brain

12 comments:

Shirl said...

I read this very passage this morning in my devotional time. And connecting it with your description of the brain functions adds a new dimension to loving God with all our mind!

Sonja said...

I;m absolutely without words! Anyway, I think you used up all of them in this marvelous reminder of just who our God is!

xo

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Very interesting to read about the different functions of the brain... I found myself thinking about my personal issues, issues of others and wondering which part is responsible when things go haywire!

In particular, I'm wondering about the birth process... the "pressure" on the brain, and how that might effect things. I know... probably stupid, but I've never excelled in the science area, although I like to come up with my own theories for why things go wacky.

peace~elaine

Debbie said...

This was soo interesting. Things I never thought much about either until my mother had her stroke. How creative the brain can be as well. As she damaged a particular portion and now the brain has "somehow" re-routed the process and she does it another way. How wonderfully are we made!! Have a good week-end!

skoots1mom said...

we've been studying this in my Christian Believer class...fearfully and wonderfully made, indeed.
have you ever watched Giglio's video on laminin? it's amazing how detailed God was @ our creation

Just a little something from Judy said...

As I read this post today, I was made more aware than ever, that you must have a much larger capacity in your brain than I do. It is precisely why I have to refer to my dictionary as I read it post. Not only that, I have to have my room totally quiet and dark, so that I can give full concentration to what you right. But, I do love how you write and how you ALWAYS make me think. Today's brain segment is case in point. I love how God blessed each of us with differing capacities in our brains and yet He made the Gospel so simple for us to understand. I like how you broke down the many compartments of the brain and the way they each work. It explained some things about me to me when I read them:) It has been a joy for me to visit you today.

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Skoots beat me to it.
Here is the link to Laminin if you have not given it a look it is well worth it!

http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=GYGWPNNX

God is good in all that he creates!

Have a great weekend!
R

Rita said...

Robert Frost was right ~ it works till you get to the office. It's amazing how it quits then! I'm sure glad that God gave me a mind and I hope I use it well. We are "fearfully and wonderfully made!"

Yolanda said...

Amazing at how small our minds are, and how much is stored with-in. Lord, let my mind be filled with YOU.

Peggy said...

Your blog has certainly given me "room for thought". It's good to be reminded of how wonderfully and amazingly God has formed us. It's more than my finite mind can comprehend. Thanks for the reminder.

Terri Tiffany said...

I am always amazed at our brains and why we think the way we do or act the way we do. How can anyone ever doubt God's creation when you talk about our brain??
Hope your home sale and hunt and movein is going great!

Beth E. said...

I breezed right through cognition, girl, but I have to admit that I did a double-take at assess. I thought...well, you know what I thought! I guess my brain needs a tune up! ;-)