Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Things That Go Bump

From the depths of my slumber I rolled over to look at the clock: 1:47 a.m.

"Who on God's moonlit earth would be ringing the doorbell at such an hour?"

For the past eight days I've been hanging out at my daughter's home while she vacations in Hawaii (poor dear).  Miss Rylie and I have had the best of times, but this particular night was not one of them.

With some sense of unease I got out of bed (may I mention here the temps were hovering near 40 that night, and it was raining; and I'd brought no bathrobe?).  I tip-toed downstairs to peer out the front window, only to discover an empty front porch.  The elusive doorbell ringer was ... well, elusive.  Nobody there.  It merely enhanced my unease.

I then went to each of the doors & windows to be sure I'd locked them.  I flipped on exterior lights.  Nothing.  Nada.  Silence.  Blackest night was all that peered back at me.

So, chilled, wide awake and still a bit uneasy I returned to bed.  The remainder of the night was not very restful.

Come morning, I asked Rylie if she'd been disturbed by the doorbell.  With the most quizzical look on her face she says to me:  "Grandma, we DON'T HAVE a doorbell."  (It's OK if you break out in fits of laughter now; I sure did!!!)

I could embellish this story greatly, or fill in many blanks here because there's a moral to this story; several morals, actually. 

Let's just say I learned another valuable lesson with this little happening.  No matter how certain I am about the dread of this or that, I might just be buying myself some cold & unease (dare I say fear) for no good reason.  I'm thinking that's a pretty hefty price to pay for a virtual doorbell.

Just sayin'

11 comments:

Beth E. said...

I have awakened before to things I thought I heard: Doorbell, phone, knocking, even shotguns...I DO live in redneck country, y'all! It is very unsettling, because it seems so real at the time.

I'm glad everyone is safe and sound. I hope you sleep well tonight!

Hugs

Loren said...

Oh Bless your Heart!! I can only imagine how you felt!!!

I kept thinking "Oh no!! someone is ding dong ditching them" but when you said there was NO DOORBELL!! I'll be honest I MIGHT have giggled a bit. Poor thing!

My husband reminds me often of what Fear says:
False
Evidence
Appearing
Real

In your mind it was a Real doorbell ~ not a virtual one right :) ???

Hope you get a nap in today!! Love you! ♥

Debbie said...

Oh my goodness, haha, sounds like something I'd be on. I have awoken before out of a dead sleep because I have heard one of my kids calling me....I hate that. And of course I am always afraid that something bad is happening to which ever one it is that is calling me so I have to refrain from calling them in the middle of the night to be sure everything is alright. Just so know...it has NEVER been the case...most of my fears are pointless...but soo real at the time. Have a good day!

Rita said...

How upsetting! I believe that doorbell was in your dreams, but that doesn't make it any less unsettling! I've done that before. Have a good nap!

Rebecca said...

I hate to admit it, but I would have been spooked! (It IS amazing how daylight puts many fears to rest though.)

Peggy said...

I enjoyed your story. I love how God can teach us spiritual lessons in the most ordinary and extraordinary moments of life.

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

Well, in spite of the fact there was NO doorbell, still, the thoughts of being awaken by what you thought was a doorbell ringing in an area you are not that familiar with....well,
I would not have slept well myself!! I too would have been on the "fearful" side!!

~Beth

Just a little something from Judy said...

You are so real! I love how you share your life in such a way that everyone reading the stories, is pulled right in with you. I was right with you, feeling the fear as you checked the locks on doors and windows. I like what one commenter shared about "fear" -false, evidence, appearing, real. Thanks for sharing this virtual doorbell story.

Shirl said...

Oh my!

I think we've all been there.

Cheryl Barker said...

Sounds like something I would do :)

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

Maybe it was a dream. Some dreams seem so real that it's hard to separate them from reality upon awakening.

Glad you and Rylie are safe. :)

Blessings,
Susan