Saturday, March 5, 2011

Stepping Forward


I can think of no better method for affirming the incredible value of waiting upon the Lord than to point directly to His own word about it.  As I penned in a recent post the past year has felt an awful lot like an interminable waiting room where my only least favorite entertainment has been my own nagging voice:  What now, Lord?  What next, Lord?  

As a new chapter decidedly unfolds in my life (more about it another day), I can only say how grateful am I that God's word & promises are true.  Waiting far excels over scurry. 

Recently my dear friend Elaine shared some profound wisdom of her own about the wait.  She had entered a particularly challenging chapter of life.  As she peered ahead, her question to God sounded a lot like my own:  "What next, Lord?".  His reply to her heart:  "I am what's next." 

And so He is ...

I instruct you in the way of wisdom
and lead you along straight paths.
When you walk, your steps will not be hampered;
when you run, you will not stumble.
Hold on to instruction, do not let it go;
guard it well, for it is your life. 
Proverbs 4:11-13

I waited patiently for the LORD;
And He inclined to me,
And heard my cry.
He also brought me up out of a horrible pit,
Out of the miry clay,
And set my feet upon a rock,
And established my steps.
He has put a new song in my mouth—
Praise to our God ...  
Psalm 40:1-4
 
But how is it to your credit if you receive
a beating for doing wrong and endure it?
But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it,
this is commendable before God.
To this you were called,
because Christ suffered for you,
 leaving you an example,
 that you should follow in His steps.  
1 Peter 2:20-21

My steps have held to your paths;
my feet have not stumbled.  
Psalm 17:5

The LORD makes firm the steps
of the one who delights in him;
though he may stumble, he will not fall,
for the LORD upholds him with his hand.
Psalm 37:23-24

Look upon me and be merciful to me,
As Your custom is toward those who love Your name.
Direct my steps by Your word,
And let no iniquity have dominion over me. 
Psalm 119:132-133

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

So many of us are in this place. (Maybe we always WERE in this place - just didn't realize it! When we didn't realize it, we were happily going about our merry & familiar way not realizing He was the ONE making our steps firm and clear.) Now we find ourselves in uncharted territory and suddenly are VERY aware of our dependency on Him.

Debbie said...

I always find words of wisdom when I read your posts Kathleen. And I love that you always point us to Scripture. Waiting during periods of draught and uncertainty are hard for us humans. Trusting God when we don't see instant results is a lesson. I've been learning to live with my spiritual eyes but it hasn't always been easy. But God ...

He hears us and knows us so intimately. And He alone knows what's best for us. I know that He has something amazing for you as you yield to His will Kathleen.

Love you,
Debbie

NanaNor's said...

Hi there dear one, What a profound post; most often I think we find waiting is the hardest part of life and yet yields the richest rewards.
Thank you for sharing from your heart.
Hugs, Noreen

Thoughts for the day said...

It is so hard sometimes to wait on the Lord, we wait and pray and wait more. In the end HIS WAYS are always better than we could ever have expected. It is worth it to wait and be still and KNOW that HE is God.

Debbie said...

My most recent post is also on waiting...seems to be a few of us in this position. It is soo good to know that His timing is perfect and the wait sooo worthwhile. Have a good week-end. HUGS

I love the scripture you used here!

Beth E. said...

In our society of total, instant gratification, waiting is one of the hardest things to do. Until we hear from God, we must continue on...living our lives according to His word, trusting Him to guide our steps.

I definitely needed to read this post. Thanks, Kathleen!

Hugs...

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

I am RIGHT THERE - in the midst of this post and I thank you for posting this! You always bless my socks off girl!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

When God is our "next", we're good to go. No matter the twists and turns ahead.

I'm practicing what I preach, sister. The road ahead looks foggy at best, but I'm holding the hand of my best Friend, and I am at rest.

Love you.

peace~elaine

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Thank you...nothing says it better than scripture. Thanks for reminding me of these and for allowing me to hear His voice through them.

THE OLD GEEZER said...

Excellent scripture quotes!

Waiting on the Lord is never easy but always necessary from His point of view.

Take care and have a great week :-)

~Ron
*******

Sonja said...

So much of life seems to be in the waiting or the transition, and the 'me' in me wants to hurry it up and move down the road faster. I am learning, and He is patiently teaching me. Many of your verses here are the prayers of my heart as well.

xo

Just a little something from Judy said...

I treasure, in the depths of my heart, the profound promises you shared here. These verses provide great comfort for me too, as waiting for me is never easy. I want to rush ahead, to find quick answers, or to fix it all immediately. Comfort and peace are available if I just wait and believe Him and His promises. This was a real encouragement to me today. I cannot wait to see all that God has in store for you. With the doses of talent that He gave you, I am sure it is for a real special reason.

Kaye Swain said...

Wow! Powerful and encouraging Bible verses and devotions. Thank you for the uplifting smile you blessed me with!