Friday, March 4, 2011

The Opposite of Withered

As much as I relish humor and it's attendant laughter, there are days when my heart is not so inclined to merriment.  They are often days associated with the swiftly shifting sands upon which our nation has found itself, or  - rather - upon which it's placed itself.  It disturbs me. 

Nations, like people, make choices.

With increasing frequency I hear a disdain, a mockery of the Godly principles that are part & parcel of our national foundations.  From television programming to news broadcasting, from the body politic to the hall of academia & science, from casual dialogue to the seemingly comedic sarcasm in the public square, truth is held up to scrutiny; the plumb line is ignored.  It baffles me.

Organizations, like people, make choices.

Across the vast landscape of denominational pastures come voices that marginalize, or take hostage God's word.  Too often folly (dare I include "sin"?) is found & revealed.  We hear of unsound doctrine or practices bordering on the occult.  Worse, we hear those among our own asking:  "Did God REALLY say/mean that in His word?".  Believer and unbeliever alike look on with jaw-dropping incredulity.  It troubles me.

Churches, like people, make choices.

Though these concerning items taunt my heart, my heart also knows they are part of a grander design than those that appear at face value.  They conspire to remind me how amazing is grace; how precious is faith; and how powerful is God's word above man's; above my own.  What a great reminder they are to inventory my own heart, and to make absolutely certain Whose word prevails there.

That's it, isn't it?  In the end, it all boils down to Who's word will stand, and who's word will wither.  I'll take my fresh and edible.  I never did much care for the taste of dried things.



For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.
... The grass withers and the flowers fall,
because the breath of the LORD blows on them.
Surely the people are grass.
The grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the word of our God endures forever.”  
Isaiah 40

... love one another deeply, from the heart.
For you have been born again,
not of perishable seed, but of imperishable,
through the living and enduring word of God.
For ...
“All people are like grass,
and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the word of the Lord endures forever.”

And this is the word that was preached to you.
1 Peter 1:22-25

11 comments:

Janet - AKA: Latte Lady said...

It's funny how much you notice when you get yourself off of that box (tv)!

I don't watch TV a whole lot so when I do see it and the commercials, I am usually disgusted!

Stay firm.

Thank you,

Janet

www.homeward4.blogspot.com

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

That pretty much wraps up what I was feeling after hearing on the radio what is happening in Christian Universities around the country...I cried out, "Oh Lord" and the fact is this season of blowing only makes me go back and stand on His Word...and that is how I will answer my young adults when this conversation of change in the "Christian" colleges comes to our conversation table.
Thanks! I too get sober.

Sonja said...

It reminds me of what I am reading in Andrew Murrays, Abiding in Christ... the same way we began with him was by trusting... abiding and moving forward is the same... all by faith, in who HE is. This world confounds us, the older I get, the worse if seems, but this SAME GOD is alive and well and I choose to put my trust in HIM!

Serious thoughts, but He has them all covered... oh so easy to forget that on some days for me.

Loren said...

Oh Kathleen, so very true!

Seeking. Standing. Crying Out to HIM
The First and the Last
The Alpha and Omega
The ONE WHO IS and Whose to COME!

Rebecca said...

I believe my heart beats with yours! Thank God for His changeless, eternal Word!

Mary Ann... said...

I watch, read, and listen in unbelief at the attitudes that have taken over today. Sadly... it's even entering our churches. Some believe that God changes with the social attitudes of the day. But we can rejoice that He NEVER CHANGES. He is the same... yesterday, today, and forever. God bless!

Debbie said...

Oh how I share soo many of these thoughts shared here in the comments, and the ones you wrote of. It does just disturb and baffle one. How I praise God that our trust is in HIM, and IS alive and well, and has it all covered and held in His very capable hands. Have a good week-end!

Runner Mom said...

It sadddens my heart when I hear and see what is occuring. I was talking about this to a friend yesterday....how "Christian" teenagers talk/write on facebook. It breaks my heart. Thank you for this word today, my friend!
Hugs,
Susan

Rita said...

His word WILL stand in spite of all who wish it would not. I too am very concerned, since our nation was founded on Christian principles.

skoots1mom said...

so thankful for his promises and his steadfastness
great post!

Beth E. said...

Those choices have consequences, too.

Feasting on God's word with you!

"Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him." PS 34:8

Hugs...