Thursday, March 17, 2011

Going With God


Today I want to introduce you to my big sister, Carol, and to share with you a powerful piece she graciously penned just for this post. 

Another time I'll share more about this particular sister, but today I'll let her heart speak for itself.  She doesn't have a Blog or Website of her own, but if you feel to leave a comment, know that I'll forward it directly to her.  It will bless her greatly.

And now, for Carol ...


GOING WITH GOD

Have you ever been asked to share what you believe to be God's purpose for your life? Or, have you ever been on the receiving end of questions about your goals for the coming year?

I believe it's important that we have goals and plans, so I don't want to give you the wrong impression as I proceed. But what I've discovered in my own life is that many of my former thoughts in this regard were flawed and short-sighted. Allow me to explain.

When my husband and I first moved to Mexico I was asked how long I thought we would live there. Without hesitation I answered, as if I were an expert on God’s timing, "Not more than a year.” I have now lived in Mexico for 12 years.

Now when people ask me that question, my answer is: “I simply don’t know.” That is very difficult to admit sometimes. In fact, it can sound rather flakey to those who want an explanation of the Lord’s agenda for my life. For me, the not knowing has become the adventure of living a life of liberty. It is through faith in Him, and in knowing and trusting Him, that I relish His plans and purposes for my life. I can be content knowing, or not knowing.

Given the fact that I didn't speak Spanish, I remember questioning the Lord about the advisement of moving to Mexico. His answer then, as now, continues to be a compelling force in my life: “Carol, the language of the kingdom of God is not English or Spanish. The language of the kingdom of God is love. Go love my people.”

Even though these 12 years have lapsed without having become fluent in Spanish, I watch in utter amazement as the Lord prepares the way. Not only has He provided interpreters, but so much more besides. He has faithfully met every other necessity in my life, affirming His good purposes and plans. 

Learning to place my every expectation in Him has bought me such great joy! It allows me to live out the amazing life He's granted; and it allows me to go out not knowing where I am going. I have come to see how normal that is. Therefore, I am absolutely content to be led by His hand of grace to places already prepared for me to minister and to make Him known; places that include churches, prisons, orphanages and local television.

Without any doubt, I believe He who has begun a work of adventure in my life will complete it according to His plans, not mine.

So for now I continue here in Mexico, all the while remaining aware of His timing, of how His hand of grace might lead elsewhere. No matter, since my delight and contentment is in Him and His purpose for my life. I willingly continue to follow the sound of His voice, even when it may entail some not knowing

“By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to out…
And He went out, not knowing where he was going.”
Hebrews 11:8

9 comments:

Just a little something from Judy said...

What a beautiful lady Carol is! It seems to me that she has grasped the "Potter and the clay" concept in a way that calms my spirit, as I read her words. Created pottery never really knows how and when it will be used next. I see no other way to live in this old world with true Peace in one's heart, and a smile on one's face, than the total "dependence" mindset that she portrays. I found this so inspiring, encouraging, and refreshing. Thank you Carol, for sharing your heart with us in blogland.

Saleslady371 said...

Thank you, Carol, for sharing your thoughts. I would rather live by the Spirit than my own timetable.

Blessings,
Mary

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Thanks for sharing, I have been struggling with the "not knowing".

Sonja said...

Hi Carol:

What a treat to hear from you on this blog post for Kathleen. First, it's such a timely and important word you've shared. The knowledge that God controls it all... the closer we get to Him on that faith issue, the more we dare to trust for His more. I so enjoyed reading what you said, and it is such a reflection of living by faith. Thank you for that!

Second... I love your sister! She has blessed and challenged my own life through this blog, and what a joy to have the sister relationship you share... I also am a sister to a "Carol", and she is my best friend!

Thank you again for sharing with us, I enjoyed every word!

Hugs to both sisters!

Sonja

THE OLD GEEZER said...

A sensitivity to God's timing is a wonderful thing to have . Your sister is truly blessed and so is Mexico.

~Ron
*******

LisaShaw said...

Dearest Kathleen,

Thank you for sharing your sister Carol with us. You both speak with beautiful hearts no wonder you're related (smile).

Carol, you said it all for me here: "For me, the not knowing has become the adventure of living a life of liberty. It is through faith in Him, and in knowing and trusting Him, that I relish His plans and purposes for my life. I can be content knowing, or not knowing."


As I left 2010 I had a conversation with someone who asked me the 'plans for 2011'. I rattled off a few things I believed GOD had planned for the start of the year based on what came out of my prayer times with HIM BUT didn't know that illness was on the agenda for the first few months of the year. Changed everything! But what I learned in that is that it's not that those things He showed me prior to this won't happen but they will happen in HIS TIMING not my own. I had to walk through something else FIRST so I'd have another testimony and increased level of faith for this season. Not only is His timing perfect but so is His plans for us!

Thank you for being a blessing.

Kathleen, thank you again sweet friend for your love and prayers! You mean so much to me! I emailed you earlier.

Love you.

Karen Lange said...

Thank you, Carol and Kathleen, for sharing this! His timing and His plans are always the best. :)
Blessings,
Karen

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

How did my heart need this "read" tonight? We're in a tough place of ministry right now... not being sure of much of anything. June will mark a year's worth of living in this place, and we've yet to see much fruit.

But we're called, and so we will remain.

Until.

Simply until.

Thanks, Carol, for bringing courage and faith to my heart this night.

peace~elaine

beBOLDjen said...

What a great guest post! And one of my favorite verses! :-)