Monday, March 7, 2011

Of Robins & Mists

Walk on a rainbow trail; walk on a trail of song,
and all about you will be beauty.
There is a way out of every dark mist,
over a rainbow trail. 
~ Robert Motherwell


Yesterday, as I sat reading by dawn's early light, I heard outside the distinct chirp of a solitary robin.  The well-hidden creature was warbling gloriously, as if summoning the morning all by it's little feathered self.  What's more, it's voice was insistent and distinctly melodious - as if performing for a rapt, though unseen audience.   It captivated my heart.

This morning, as daylight readied itself in the wings, I peered through my kitchen window.  There I could just barely make out the low hanging cloud - an ambling mist - that had enveloped the pasture beyond.  It was a greedy, though beautifully haunting mist that barely permitted creation be seen.  It managed to claim dawn itself, all the while hushing the world as only a mist can do.  It, too, captivated my heart.

These simple observations have again reminded me that life's glories are rarely bound up in the sensational.  They are richly embedded in the obvious, though they are the often overlooked & humble kingdoms of creation. 

My heart is stirred by a noble theme
as I recite my verses for the king ... 
Psalm 45:1

The whole earth is filled with awe at your wonders;
where morning dawns, where evening fades,
you call forth songs of joy.
Psalm 65:8

He captivates my heart.

There it was, hidden in alphabetical order.
~ Rita Holt

11 comments:

Just a little something from Judy said...

"He captivates your heart," AND "He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing." Zeph. 3:17. I think it is going to be a great day for you. What amazing Grace!

Debbie said...

Oh I just couldn't agree more...I had such similiar thoughts as we were driving down the coast yesterday on our way to church. SUCH a glorious display of besuty everywhere we looked. Loved it! Have a wonderful day. HUGS

Andrea said...

AMEN!

We learn so much from the intricate details of HIS creation if we will only stop, look, and take it all in.

Blessings, hugs, and prayers,
andrea

Terri Tiffany said...

They are richly embedded in the obvious,

Love this!

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Yes and Yes...yesterday while reading His word I heard the geese honking over head as they flew through the sky...early in the morning, I loved hearing it...not sensational, but how truly glorious!

Beth E. said...

Well said, Sassy! I, too, enjoy the revelation of each new morning, and the beauty that lies therein.

Thanking God for His love and mercy...

Hugs

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Oh my stars!

Deep and meaningful moments with God's creation are so profound.

We are all thankful that you stopped, took the moment in and then shared it with all of us!

Blessings
r

Sonja said...

'He captivates my heart' too! And so do your words, which express His greatness so beautifully! You KNOW I love your words! :) I can't say them like you do, but boy am I a fan!!

Karen Lange said...

What wonderful Psalms to meditate on!

KelliGirl said...

What a wonderful image to ponder. I love, "...life's glories are rarely bound up in the sensational. They are richly embedded in the obvious, though they are the often overlooked & humble kingdoms of creation."

Amen to that!

myletterstoemily said...

you are a captivating writer. i saw
the mist and heard the warble and
looked to the Creator of all three.

thank you.