Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Travel Intinerary for Rabbit Trails

Poor rabbits.  They get stuck with all sorts of connotations that have absolutely nothing to do with rabbithood.  Even so, I'm jumping (or is that "hopping?") on the band wagon here to tackle the tricky trek associated with Rabbit Trails.  You know - - the sort that allow us to take the long way around, or up, or over, or backward, or down, or underground to get to our destination ... or not.  

Rabbit Trails are bothersome unless they're useful.

Rabbit Trails are the means by which we do NOT get to the point any time soon.

Rabbit Trails ensure what you mean to convey is taken hostage by what you actually say, which is then taken hostage by something else that seemed more important than what you meant to say to begin with.

NEVER stop talking in the middle of a Rabbit Trail, or both you and your audience (if they're still listening) will be totally befuddled.  You may not be in any real danger, but you'll think you are, and they'll know they are.

People typically have to be taken hostage in order to get them to tag along a Rabbit Trail with you.  Never a good thing.  Hostages rarely go willingly if given a choice.

Do you suppose there's an upside to Rabbit Trails?

12 comments:

Denise said...

Enjoyed your post, as always.

Rebecca said...

Now you've got me thinking...I put on my thinking cap and remember Mary Ellen who knit it and gave it to me for my December birthday...was that my 60th or just last year? Sixty really wasn't THAT big of deal...nothing like 50! That was the year I REALLY came of age...Good thing my mother and dad were there. I saw their energy and verve and got over feeling sorry for myself very quickly. That was the year my mother had her heart attack. If only we'd realized that was what was happening. If only she'd not insisted on waiting until she got home to get checked out....but she's lived these last 12 years with such grace. I love the way she sends out so many greeting cards so faithfully. In fact, that is what I was doing yesterday - sorting out my greeting card drawer which was in SUCH disarray.
I came across seasonal cards - Thanksgiving, extra Christmas ones, Easter...why did I pick up that one with RABBITS on it anyway?

Rita said...

Chasing rabbits! That's so easy to do. How many rabbits have we chased in our lifetime? I try to stay on the path, but sometimes, I get off! Stay on there today and have a great day.

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

Oh my goodness...I'm laughing at this. And how true it is. Hiliarious. A couple of my favorites:

"you mean to convey is taken hostage by what you actually say.."

"NEVER stop talking in the middle of a Rabbit Trail, or both you and your audience (if they're still listening) will be totally befuddled. You may not be in any real danger, but you'll think you are, and they'll know they are."

Cheryl Barker said...

I've been taken hostage on way too many rabbit trails. Love that image :)

Blessings to you this week, Kathleen. So appreciated your prayers last week. Thank you!

Terri Tiffany said...

AN upside? I love diversions . . . sometimes:))

Just a little something from Judy said...

Slowly, I am learning to follow you on your rabbit trails because I am learning they always teach me something...if I hang in there with you. Seriously, I know what you are saying. Many are the times in my life where I wished I would not have taken someone with me on my rabbit trail excursions. It truly would have been better to have gone by myself, or maybe just not to have talked while on it. I do believe though, that there are some positive things about rabbit trail expeditions.

Thanks for the smile this morning.

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

lol....laughing here...I sometimes chase rabbits!!!

~Beth

KelliGirl said...

Perhaps the upside is the unexpected journey and the discoveries made. Besides, bunnies are so cute. ;-)

skoots1mom said...

my prayer group likes the rabbit trails God takes us on in scripture...we dig in to get an answer, or discernment, and He leads us to something more vivid at the moment and before we know it, we've pondered multiples scriptures alll speaking to the same thing but giving us an answer to a question we had not asked (but God's opinion was we DID need to see it now)...His creativity is our compass ;)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I've come across many a good thought along my rabbit trails... some better than the original ones that led me there. If ever we were to have a conversation in person, I'd certainly lead you down some, sister. I can't stay on topic for the life of me! So yes, I sometimes think there's merit to a good bunny hop or two off the beaten path... as long as we're not chasing fires:)

peace~elaine

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great post....Wonderful stories here always....so happy to have some blog reading time while we have been snowed in...which is rare in our state....

Happy Saturday
teresa