Saturday, February 5, 2011

Porches & Pillars

It is always a happy day when I drop by Judy's place. You can bet your bippy that she'll have a little something for you.  What a clever & creative lady is she; and her porch is among my favoritest places to hang out.  You never know when or how she'll bedazzle it, but you can plan for festive fare & ambiance.  It says "welcome, come on in". 

I love porches.   

While studying First Kings & Second Chronicles with my lady's Bible Study group (an indepth Kay Arthur study that is truly rugged, but oh-so amazing), two aspects of Solomon's Temple-building initiative stand out to me:
  • the positioning of porches
  • the positioning of two special pillars.

Once you get past what seems like who-gives-a-rip particulars & talk of cubits, there's something incredibly welcoming about these outer aspects of the Temple.  We are told there are two porches (or porticos); one called Solomon's Porch (on the east), and the other called the Royal Porch (on the south).

The front of the porch (Solomon's) was covered with gold; and it was most brilliant when the rays of the morning sun fell upon it. (1)

But the 'Royal Porch,' by which we are supposed to have entered the Temple, was the most splendid, consisting not as the others, of a double, but of a treble colonnade, formed of 162 pillars, ranged in four rows of 40 pillars each, the two odd pillars serving as a kind of screen, where the 'Porch' opened upon the bridge. (3)

The Ulam (is) the porch or entrance before the temple on the east (Solomon's Porch). In the porch stood the two pillars Jachin and Boaz ...(4) 


When it comes to the two pillars we learn they were roughly 30 feet high, and upon them was engraved biblical dynastic prophecies and royal hymns.  ... (They) play a double role: they emphasize, on the one hand, the personal relationship between the Temple and the royal family and, on the other, the presence of God within the Temple.

These two pillars were actually given names, that of Jachin (meaning He will establish), and Boaz (meaning strength).

There are a good many dots one can connect to the all the vast meaning associated with the Temple and it's corresponding uses & Feasts.  Some of them are finely researched, others are random speculation.  I'll not waste my time or yours trying to address them all.  I simply want to add my own - those associated with porches & pillars; not certain they fall into either camp.

If I'm the Temple of God's Holy Spirit (and I am), then it is God who has built that Temple and all the amazing furniture/utensils within it.  He's made provision for all that's conducted there, even opening wide the separating veil between the common areas and His Holy of Holies.  He's invited me in, and welcomed me, going so far as to post pillared-sentries at that portal to assure me that is it He (not my own efforts) that actually establishes and strengthens me once enclosed.   

Big dot.

Now I'm thinking I need to invite Judy over to bedazlle my porch and serve a little something for you there.  It's the least I can do to welcome you to a porch like no other.
 


FOOTNOTE:  I am challenged to dig deep into the Jewish bedrock that is our Christian worldview. As rich as the Church is all by itself, it is nothing if not connected to God's equally grand (greater?) design for His people Israel.  Afterall, our Savior is Jewish. 


Sources
(1) http://www.templesecrets.info/pillars.html
(2) http://www.bible-history.com/court-of-women/jewish_encyclopedia.html
(3) http://philologos.org/__eb-ttms/temple02.htm
(4) http://www.crystalinks.com/solomonstemple.html

17 comments:

Janet - AKA: Latte Lady said...

Amen and amen! That was wonderful.

LOVE it!

PS
Do you interpret dreams by any chance?

:) Janet

www.homeward4.blogspot.com

Denise said...

Such an awesome post, bless you.

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

Hmmm, lots to think about and dig. Rethink all those tedious measurements and structural descriptions and uncover nuggets like these. This was such a rich revelation. Thank you for sharing it. I have food for thought to last several days.

Karen Lange said...

What a blessing to know that He welcomes us in. :)

Rita said...

what an awsome temple He gave us to live in! When we think of all the things that work together within our bodies, it just amazes me. He is an awsome God!

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Great post and some confirmation to me also...I love studying my Jewish heritage, the Word comes alive and Christ was a Jew...thanks for this, this morning God spoke loud and clear to me through it...now I need to go get quiet and listen more..thanks!

Rose said...

Great post Kathleen. You would love the study we went to that deals in depth about the Temple. It is so fascinating and overwhelming. When you really start connecting the dots God's Word just leaps off the page and blesses us beyond measure.
Thanks for sharing this!
Hugs,
Rose

Sonja said...

I'm sure with you on this Kathleen! I am fascinated by the history of the O.T. and it's meaning for us right now, today. The best thing of all is that HE is the structure and strength and the pillar and post that hold me up! Keep digging and keep sharing. Wouldn't it be fun to all meet on Judy's porch one day! :)

I'm sure your Kay Arthur study is rich, and hers do not come lightly. That girl has done her homework!

Beth E. said...

Can you imagine standing on that porch, surrounded by such grandeur? It gives me goosebumps just to read about it! However, nothing compares to the feeling of being in GOD'S presence! Praising HIM, for nothing separates us from our Father and His love!

Terri Tiffany said...

I always learn something new when I come here, Enjoy your get-togethers there:)

Just a little something from Judy said...

God is the best porch designer ever!!! Kay Arthur does a great job in causing one to dig deeper into God's Word. I am continually amazed at how every big and little detail fits together perfectly in His plan. Each pillar served a real purpose, just like each aspect of our lives does. In light of today's world news, this fact brings me real peace and comfort.

As for my porch, I would find no greater joy than having you all join me on my porch. I smile just thinking about all I would learn from sitting with you all. Thank you for your kind words my friend.

Debbie said...

I love to dig deep into the Word like this. A number of years ago, I did a study of the life of Moses in BSF. We studied the Temple in all its details. At that time there was a traveling replica of the Temple and I had an opportunity to visit it.

God is involved in all the details. It's amazing how each part of the construction was also for us to learn.

Thanks for posting about this 'porch'.

Love you,
Debbie

Brad said...

Wow Kathleen,

We share a similar passion. I'm constantly struck by how this hard head of mine overlooks the deep symbolism found in Old Testament Scripture. A porch covered with gold that Christ taught so often from? Sure, Jesus taught from Herod's temple not Solomon's but the symbolism is there to reinforce what true matters to God and what he treasures. Old Testament symbols designed to soften hearts for New Testament realities!

Anyway, nice lesson.

Brad

A Joyful Chaos said...

Very inspiring and interesting. Thanks for sharing.

christy rose said...

Love the depth of this post!! Knowing the details of the original temple truly helps to understand how intricately He has purposed the completed work of Christ in me so that He could dwell within me as well. We are His temple now! His presence lies within us!! Mind blowing revelation for sure!!

THE OLD GEEZER said...

I started reading though the Bible this year and will complete the Five Books of Moses (Torah) tomorrow. I'm always amazed when I read the O.T. how every page points to the coming of our savior. I praise God that Jesus fulfilled the demands of the law and we are now under grace :-)

~Ron
*******

Tiff Marcotte said...

Once again wishing for your wisdom... I am trying to grow in my faith. Somedays it is harder than others but I am trying :) You are my own personal Beth Moore. Seriously every time I visit your blog, I leave with a thirst for his word. Thank you :)