Thursday, February 10, 2011

Contending

Anybody have a Wii?  If so, then you'll know the fun & folly of that device, and perhaps relate when I mention how utterly ill-prepared was (am) I in the Wii Boxing Arena.  Ugh!

It's been my great pleasure (I think) to contend there with my granddaughter on several occasions, knowing full well she'll eventually win, even when she pulls punches and allows me to overtake her here-and-there.  But contend I do.  Who knows?  Someday I might actually win.

Contend.  It means: rivalry/competition; debate/argument; to strive or vie in contest.  It has both a positive and negative connotation; and which it is often depends on the motives of those in contention.

Apart from Wii, contending goes on every day and in every sphere of life.  Sometimes we're aware of it; and sometimes it's just part of the fabric that comprises the making of choices.  Sometimes it's difficult, engendering mean-spiritedness.  At other times it's less noticeable; less competitive.  It's simply the stuff of standing firm. 

Whichever and whatever ... contending is a part of our lives.  We reason together - the operative word being "reason".  The tricky part is learning how to contend or reason without going for the jugular, or dancing with glee when your opponent lies fallen on the Boxing Arena mat.  Afterall, the best part of contending is graciously finding and remaining on the high ground.

I wish someone would tell that to my granddaughter.  :)

... when Peter came up to Jerusalem,
those of the circumcision contended with him ...
Acts 11:2

Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you
about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write
and urge you to contend for the faith that was
 once for all entrusted to God’s holy people. 
Jude 1:3

 Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil,
when he disputed about the body of Moses,
dared not bring against him a reviling accusation,
but said, “The Lord rebuke you!” 
Jude 1:9

I want you to know how hard I am contending
 for you and for those at Laodicea,
and for all who have not met me personally. 
 Colossians 2:1

... help these women since they have contended
at my side in the cause of the gospel ...
Philippians 4:3

He is the one we proclaim, admonishing and teaching
everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone
fully mature in Christ.  To this end I strenuously contend
with all the energy Christ so powerfully works in me. 
Colossians 1:28-29

24 comments:

Cheryl Barker said...

This puts a whole new spin on the phrase "The Contender" for me. Guess each one of us could be known as "The Contender", huh?

Janet - AKA: Latte Lady said...

That is GOOD stuff! Thank you!

Thank you for visiting my blog. You are RIGHT on! Amen.

:) Happy Day!

Janet

www.homeward4.blogspot.com

Brad said...

I think the contending you're contending for here requires:

Persistence in patience, mired in gentleness, but always relentlessly happy in sharing the Truth and Hope that is within us.

TRUTH SHARER said...

I've been doing this CONTENDING of the faith a lot lately. I love how you said it needs to graciously be kept in balance - staying on the Higher ground - without going for the juggler!

Love the scriptures you chose here - they speak right to my heart and give me courage that Jesus is fighting the battle of faith with me and for me!

Choosing JOY in this season,
Stephanie

Denise said...

Awesome post dear.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Oh I think this Wright household of boys and their mommy can really put a twist on "contending"...and yes, we need to work on not doing the victory day or leaving the one who lost totally wounded.

I was just finishing up in Numbers where Moses was contending with God...Numbers 11:11-15...it ends with Moses then saying "if I have found favor in your sight"
Wow...look at Moses contending with God whom he knew so intimately...may I learn the right way to contend.

Pain to Purpose said...

This is a great post! I loved all the scriptures you added. My mom and I often quote to each other the Isaiah scripture about how God will contend with those who contend with me. That's about the best thing I ever heard! Thanks for a new spin on this wonderful word!

skoots1mom said...

we should chart our WII successes...i've recently gotten one and your post in intriguing me to be more diligent.

thanks for all of the contending references...it helps to know God is guiding in those rounds of struggle

prayers for your granddaughter

Terri Tiffany said...

I always learn something new here. It makes me smile to think of you playing with your grandchildren now as often as you do:))

Rita said...

I know nothing about the Wii! I'm lost as a goose on all these new fangdangles since I no longer have kids at home! I'm afraid I'd "contend" with them!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I always want to be found contending for the kingdom; unfortunately, sometimes my contending can look like "death blows" rather than grace-filled pokes.

Praying for wisdom and strength to know the difference.

Keep to it, my good-fighting friend. So privileged to stand on the battlefield with you.

peace~elaine

RCUBEs said...

Wii is fun but not when we are contending in the spiritual realm. I thank the Lord that when I throw my punches for the enemies, He's giving me His mighty power and might! I love being reaffirmed by His Word!!! God bless you Sassy...Happy playing with your granddaughter. Boxing in Wii is fun...

Nezzy said...

Great post sweetie. I'll never look at the Wii the same again. Thanks!

God bless ya and have a most beautiful day!!! :o)

Debbie said...

I totally enjoyed this post. We have a household of contenders over here too. It does just seem like that is how he made us. WONDERFUL scriptures!

Sonja said...

We have a whole lot of 'contending' going on at our hose too! With 6 grandkids who are savvy with those little techie things, it keeps us on our toes! What a great visual lesson here Kathleen!

Keep 'contending'... maybe age will triumph over youth on occasion! And the other thing is, when I am fortunate enough to win a duel, I nearly always do a major victory dance!! Maybe I could tone that down a little. ;)

Saleslady371 said...

God told me last year He will contend with those condending with me...and save my children. So you can imagine how much I enjoyed your teaching of "contend" and I feel so much smarter now. Please tell your granddaughter what an amazing grandmother she has.

Love you,
Mary

Just a little something from Judy said...

I too have experienced the Wii contending with my own children, and laughter always presides. Why? I can't figure that one out. As for the spiritual contending in my life, you said it best when you said,"afterall, the best part of contending is graciously finding and remaining on the high ground." That is my heartfelt prayer for me. The "gracious" part continues to need lots of help in my life. Well written post.

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

Have never tried the Wii...and I could just see me now! I'm be dangerous, I'm sure!

~Beth

Cindy said...

I love words and definitions! This is a good one and one that I hadn't considered in this light. Thank you for sharing it.

Loren said...

Wow Kathleen....what a lesson you have shared today! I love to sit at your feet per se' and gleen! I just praise God for your wisdom and that you obey HIM when HE wants you to share! You are sooo being used by the Lord here and at home! Bless you and I pray that I may contend as HE contends for me!

Hugs and lots of love to you!!

Nel said...

My daughter and family has one and it looks like so much fun. I have not tried it yet, I have to make a call to my pacemaker company and see if it will interfere with it. But it looks like it would be alot of fun and good exercise.
until next time... nel

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Love the Wii!

The baseball game takes me down every time, tennis also. i am just not athletically coordinated, not to mention totally not getting any of the rules, now mom now...oh sorry too late...what was that...I think you just took out someone in the bleachers...oh well nice try...

Oh give me the controller and I'll show you how it's done!

Contending...what a burden at times!

Blessings
R

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

I'm not into Wii, but I enjoy Scrabble. The competition can get mighty fierce during a game. I have to remind myself it's just a game!

Blessings,
Susan :)

Tiff Marcotte said...

What an awesome G-Ma! Playing Wi :) I bet your grand Dot Loves that :)