Monday, January 10, 2011

Simple Equation


To live is so startling
it leaves little time for anything else.
~Emily Dickinson

In Him was life,
and that life was the light of all mankind.
John 1:4



To live.  Odd how often I arise thinking that I must do this, or that; or not.  Rarely do I rise thinking my day is simply about life; about the simplicity of humbly living it out.  Breathing & heartbeats & grace are the grandest of dawn's gifts.

I've got plans and purposes and dreams, an agenda - even when it's not obvious.  I'm not always certain of the motives behind these, but I have them nonetheless. 

Lest anyone think I advocate scrapping plans or cavalier living, I disclaim such a notion.  I am an ardent advocate of intentional living, and planning is a huge part of that.  To fail to plan is to plan to fail (wish I'd said that!).

It just seems to me - today anyway - that I make much too much of all that - - me, and my intentionality, my plans, my agenda.   

Now what I am commanding you today
is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach... 

See, I set before you today life ... 

For I command you today to love the LORD your God,
to walk in obedience to him,
and to keep his commands, decrees and laws;
then you will live ...

Now choose life ...  For the LORD is your life.
Deuteronomy 30:11, 15-20

For life is more than food,
and the body more than clothes.
Luke 12:23

Stand firm, and you will win life.
  Luke 21:19

I have come that they may have life,
and have it to the full. 
John 10:10

Now this is eternal life: that they know you,
the only true God,
and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. 
John 17:3

  ...the powerful play goes on,
and you will contribute a verse.
~ Walt Whitman

 

17 comments:

Rebecca said...

I wish I would have written THIS! Duh! You are SO right. It's easy to lose sight of THIS G-L-O-R-I-O-U-S provision of God for us--LIFE!!!

Rose said...

I couldn't help but think of Proverbs 16:9 when reading this. "The mind of a man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."

KelliGirl said...

And... "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46.

I, too, am one who is constantly on the go, working on projects, checking things off my list. But how wonderful to set it all aside from time to time and be still.

Thank you for these spirit-rejuvenating words.

Love and prayers,
kelli

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

That passage from Deuteronomy is a favorite of mine... it slays me every time. I think it to be one of the most wonderful declarations about life!

Oh the simplicity of a single heartbeat. Drinking mine in today.

peace~elaine

Terri Tiffany said...

Sometimes our intentions are not the Lord's for us. I am slowly learning this.

Sonja said...

the simple is also the profound! Great post!

Rita said...

Some days I long to just sit down and live life, but there is always so much to do. I need to think more of what you said and heed your words!

THE OLD GEEZER said...

I went to a memorial service on Saturday for a good friend who died on 1/2/11. Funerals always cause me reevaluate what's really important in my life. The simple things I take for granted most often end up on the top of my "thank you God list".

~Ron

Beth E. said...

That passage from Deuteronomy is powerful.

I still have to remind myself that my ways are not His ways, and that I need to let go of my own agenda and let God have control...a very tough thing to do when all I want to do is shake some sense into a certain teenage son!

This is another great post, Sassy...one I needed to read!

Hugs...

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

Great post ... right on target.
Thank you my friend ... HE is with us.
Blessings,
Bren

Saleslady371 said...

His great plans for us never stop. He cares for us even to our old age and gray hairs. I'm so glad. My future in this tent will cease when He says so.

Hugs,
Mary

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

Each year that goes by reminds me of the shortness and fragility of life. Like Mary of Bethany, I want to sit at His feet and soak in His Word and His Presence.

Blessings,
Susan

LisaShaw said...

Kathleen,

I was speaking to my hubby about this very topic on the weekend!

Thank you for sharing, reminding, encouraging and sharing the Word with us! John chapter 17 is one of my favorites!!!

Keeping my intentional focus on intentionally loving our GOD!

Jackie said...

Great post, Kathleen!

The scrip from Deut is such a concise and profound command for us to live by, isn't it!

Thanks for sharing!

Blessings!
Jackie

Deborah Ann said...

Wow...I guess I'm guilty of the same thing. We humans are such a haughty breed, heh? It's lucky for us that God puts up with us...

Cheryl Barker said...

I'm a planner, too, and can always use a reminder to be fully in the moment. Also had never heard that quote by Emily Dickinson. I'm going to have to jot that down.

Just a little something from Judy said...

"Breathing and heartbeats and grace are the greatest of dawn's gifts," is a beautiful reminder of the meaningful gifts that God blesses us with each and every day. Planning and schedules can comprise each day for me. How much we need reminders like you shared today. Like you, I want to keep my focus on Him and what is so important and not on the trivial. Great post!