Friday, January 14, 2011

More or Less

The Future is something which everyone reaches
at the rate of sixty minutes an hour,
whatever he does, whoever he is.
~ C.S. Lewis

Which sweep of the clock's hand is the more significant? 
Is it a milli-second that occurs just before dawn, or at the close of day? 
Is it the one just ahead of lunch, or might it be 
the collective force of an entire hour?


   
Which note among a symphony's score would be missed were it not included, or if it were played as a sharp when it is designed to be a flat


Which letter nestled within the poet's,
or the author's design could be eliminated?  Which
word formed is the least among the greats? 
Might it be "but", or "and", or "if"? 


Which star residing within the starry hosts is the 
least noticed; the least needed?  Could one star or amass of stars be lost and not affect something; anything?


He determines the number of the stars
and calls them each by name.
Psalm 147:4

“Who dares despise the day of small things,
since the seven eyes of the LORD (that)
range throughout the earth ... "
Zechariah 4:10



Who among mortals is the most worthy,
or the most notable? 
Is there a life, or many lives more deserving
of breath - or acclaim - than another? 

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked,
“Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”

He called a little child to him,
and placed the child among them.
And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless
you change and become like little children,
you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child
is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 
Matthew 18:2-4


Every moment is a golden one for
him who has the vision to recognize it as such.
~ Henry Miller


“I did not come to destroy (the Law) but to fulfill. 
For assuredly, I say to you,
till heaven and earth pass away,
one jot or one tittle will by no means
pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 
Whoever therefore breaks one of
the least of these commandments,
and teaches men so, shall be called least
in the kingdom of heaven;
but whoever does and teaches them,
he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.  
Matthew 5:17-19

My life and yours are made up of jots & tittles,
nicks of time, layer-upon-layer of living. 
They are a collection of days,
which are a collection of milli-seconds.
I am left to wonder which of them I could eliminate,
without affecting all the others; the ones
that have already passed, and those yet to come?
Perhaps the least among the moments
of my life are, in fact, the greatest.
It would sure be in keeping with His economy.

15 comments:

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Good thoughts....made up of jots and tittles...this will stay with me today!

Sonja said...

and like you said, it's probably the 'least' that He values as the greatest. How true that His economy is so different than ours!

Great thoughts Kathleen, always makes me think...

Rebecca said...

What great examples of the truths of "God's economy"! It's so easy to lose sight of it...

LisaShaw said...

I have to agree with Sonja...it's probably the "least that He values as the greatest."

I loved your sharing here Kathleen. Wish I could find a teacher I had in middle school who told me, "Lisa, eliminate the word things from your vocabulary". When you mentioned about which word may be the least among them, I thought of my teacher. She really had a thing about the word things. (BIG SMILE).

As always powerful sharing Kathleen. Makes one think!

In my reading yesterday, or perhaps the day before I came across a word that was unfamiliar to me. I circled it and thought of you---Kathleen, my 'word' friend!

Hugs,
Lisa

Rose said...

Wow, amen and amen. Love this post.

Karen Lange said...

So true! You're just nearly bordering on profound some days, you know that? :)Thanks for always making me think. It stirs and motivates me.
Blessings,
Karen

rcubes said...

It's only in the stillness of one's soul that a person is able to go deeper into His marvelous love. Very thought-provoking...Makes us think...what truly matters? I remember a video I had shared in my blog, P. Wumbrandt's testimony, the one who authored "Tortured for Christ". While incarcerated not able to see anything but prison wardens and the color of black or gray under the ground, he heard the Lord asked him when he prayed, "What is your name?"
And he didn't know what to say. He knew it was not his accomplishments nor losses that would matter. He answered, "Allow me to bear Your Name."
May every passing second be spent doing things for Him. That's my prayer as I read your post! God bless and have a great weekend sister!

Debbie said...

What a thought provoking post...what moments are those that really matter?? How many do we "use" that really don't? Loved this...

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

God has overwhelmed my heart and mind ... time has allowed me to share HIS love.
Blessings,
Bren

Sheryl said...

wow!! speechless and that doesn't happen to me very often.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

You always have a way of fueling my senses with your thoughts...

As I consider the collection of my moments over the past five months, I imagine there are many of them I could have considered insignificant... not worthy of print. But then again, so many more worthy of remembrance. I'll keep them all, just as they are.

Love you, especially today my friend. My heart is strangely warmed in your direction; not sure why, but prayers are headed your way.

peace~elaine

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Kathleen -

You certainly get the wheels turning in my head. We often forget life is made up of small moments.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Aliene said...

Thought provoking post. How do we use our time? Makes me want to take inventory. Thanks!

Beth E. said...

Oh, gee whiz...it figures that the day I read this post about every moment being significant, that THIS would be the day I took a nap and frittered away some of them! ;-)

In my defense, I had a few nights of insomnia this week...I guess I'm playing "catch up".

One thing I learned in 2010...never, EVER take one single moment for granted. Everything can change in one split second.

I sure am grateful for you, Kathleen. Your posts always make me think, and usually teach me something new each time....especially those fancy words you use! ;-)

Hugs...

Just a little something from Judy said...

Time is His gift to us. So often I take it for granted and think there will always be plenty of it. You shared this post on time beautifully, as you do every post. Thought provoking and important info. Thank you!