Saturday, January 8, 2011

Miopicitis

There you have it, another new word:  Miopicitis.  Deadly stuff! 


This subject-matter came to mind as I considered several scriptures related to lack, or lacking.  I found myself stopping long enough to ask:   What might I lack?  (Notice the self-preserving use of the word might.)

That's all it took to set me upon a course that lead here; to a better understanding of just how deadly is Miopicitis

From the Mayo Clinic we learn a little bit about it's symptoms - never mind the causes (too many and too varied, congenital, or altogether too mysterious).  The first thing we glean is that it's near-sightedness - also known as myopia.


■Distant objects appear blurry
■You need to squint to see clearly
■You have headaches caused by excessive eyestrain
■Need to sit very close to the television, movie screen or blackboard
■Hold books very close while reading
■Seem to be unaware of distant objects
■Blink excessively
■Rub your eyes frequently


Then, if we head over to Merriam's, we consider what it looks like ...

1. pertaining to or having myopia; nearsighted.
2. unable or unwilling to act prudently; shortsighted.
3. lacking tolerance or understanding; narrow-minded.


The remedy?  Simple, but oh-so tough ...

His divine power has given us everything we need
for a godly life through our knowledge of Him
who called us by His own glory and goodness. 

For this very reason, make every effort to ...

... add to your faith goodness
... and to goodness, knowledge;
... and to knowledge, self-control
... and to self-control, perseverance
... and to perseverance, godliness
... and to godliness, mutual affection
... and to mutual affection, love.

For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure,
they will keep you from being (myopic) ineffective
and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind,
(suffering from Miopicitis) 
forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins.  
2 Peter 1:5-9

In closing the loop, let me just say that my question about lack did not lack a response.  It is certain that I lack much, but He more than fills those voids! 

Let perseverance finish its work so that you
may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.James 1:4

For in Him you have been enriched in every way—
with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge ...
Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you
eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. 
He will also keep you firm to the end,
so that you will be blameless
on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1 Corinthians 1:5-8

8 comments:

Rose said...

Kathleen, such a thought provoking blog. I believe we all are guilty of self-preservation. Praise God for filling the voids that my pride doesn't always allow me to see(being miopic). Blessings!

Thoughts for the day said...

Oh my goodness is that mr magoo?
good thoughts, thanks

Debbie said...

All too often I suffer from miopicitis. I squint and attempt to reason in my human mind without fully understanding. Praise God for His perfect wisdom and that He is all I need to cling to.

Happy SONday to you Kathleen!

Love,
Debbie

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

Good post! Definitely thought-provoking!

~Beth

Rita said...

At times we are all nearsighted, but thank the Lord, He isn't! Good post!

RCUBEs said...

Knowing that in medical field, anything that ends in "is" means something inflamed, I was thinking about "pain" before reading the whole post.
Ouch indeed if we are not aware of that condition. The other night, I was reading the same Scriptures you shared and I prayed, "Lord please help me see things through Your eyes." I'm so thankful for His endless grace that I know, coupled with faith and trust, I will be able to see! Not because of my own doing but because He healed us! Glory be to God for His endless love, mercy and grace! To know that there is a cure with this unknown condition, there is HOPE. Forever.
God bless Sister!

Jackie said...

Love your thoughts here, Kathleen! Thanks for sharing!

Have a blessed week!

He is Faithful!

Jackie

LisaShaw said...

This is awesome Kathleen!

This says it all for me: "It is certain that I lack much, but He more than fills those voids!"

I'm always enriched in your 'word' sharing and how we can then see that 'word' through the Word!

Love you!