Thursday, December 9, 2010

What a Strange Way to Save The World

Christmas gets me. It gets TO me.

It's not about trees, or baking cookies, or shopping, or even wrapping presents. It's not about Santa or sleigh bells; and it's not about decorating. All those things are fine & fun, but whether taken in part or in whole, they're not at all what GETS me.

When I attempt to collect all that is known about Jesus' actual birth, I conclude that little of what we understand, and even less of what we do, resembles that indescribable, incomprehensible incarnation of long ago.

So, that stuff - the collection that insists upon my attention - is tough to describe, but I'm guessing you know what I mean?

For days on end heavy tears press hard against the back of my eyeballs and, together with the lump that lives in the mid-regions of my throat I am forever a nano-second from being undone.

So it isn't anything related in reality to Christmas that gets me. It's something far more enigmatic. It begins before Thanksgiving, and it rarely ends before mid-January. It comes and goes like a gentle breeze, except when it comes and goes like a gale force wind.

Quite frankly, it has everything to do with the strange, utterly amazing way God chose to save the world.

It gets to me every time!
Therefore the Lord himself will
give you a sign: The virgin] will conceive
and give birth to a son,
and will call him Immanuel.
Isaiah 7:14





For I am not ashamed of the gospel,
because it is the power of God that
brings salvation to everyone who believes:
first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.
For in the gospel the righteousness
of God is revealed ...
Romans 1:16-17

14 comments:

Sonja said...

Oh boy, that lump is heavy in my throat right now. I've thought it so many many times... that He could have come in splendor and majesty.. but instead, a manger. But I can only imagine how it will be when He comes again!

Your words do get my heart Kathleen.

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

It is all so mind-boggling and truly a sense of wonder and awe! That God, himself, would come to "us" as a baby...because He loves "us" so much...LOVES US so much!! To become flesh and live among us...because He loves us!! Then to die for "us" and rise again...because He Loves Us!!

~Beth

Diana said...

I absolutely love this post, Kathleen!

LisaShaw said...

Oh Kathleen,

I'm with you on this...tears, lump in the throat, the thoughts of all that HE's done for us --- It gets my heart.

I found myself this morning with coffee at 4:30 am in the cold window deciding what I needed to put on to get going in temps that are not normal for this time of yr here and with the cold from the window I looked up at the dark sky being lighted by the street lamp in front of our house and suddenly I was warmed to know that HE was with me. I smiled at HIM. Cried and prayed to Him about what this time of year and my entire life means in the sacrifice of JESUS. I'm awe struck and humbled.

I love you dear friend and your heart for HIM! Merry Christmas!

Tammy@If Meadows Speak... said...

Kathleen, I so very much appreciate your words and your encouragement and the lovely way you drop wisdom at my "door". And I haven't even begun to write about this post, which has left me with tears and a lump.

Barbara said...

Amen and amen, this is so true, and how many stop to say thank you lord, or Happy Birthday Jesus. may we think on the things that are of above, instead of always on the things of this world, the things above are so much more important than anything thing here.
Be blessed and have a good day.

Debbie said...

Oh I just couldn't agree more!! I too just can't seem to get enough. My heart is soo for the people who don't know or just don't get it...how I want them to know...Have a wonderful week-end. HUGS

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

You're so right, Kathleen. I've simplified my usual Christmas customs because I want to focus on the true meaning.

Blessings,
Susan :)

~*~KIMBERLY~*~ said...

So very precious, Jesus is! Today is such a humbling day for me online. Everyone's posts are powerful and a blessing. Praise HIS Holy Name!

Rebecca said...

So aware of how even the "good stuff" crowd out contemplation upon this indescribable, incomprehensible incarnation of long ago. I just want to be done with it ALL and think only of Him.

Kay said...

So true... just the thought of how God accomplished His grand plan is more than I can take in. And it does cause me to pause and contemplate where I'd be without it. Without HIM. Hugs to you today, my friend! :)

Rita said...

Without Him, what would we do? He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Just a little something from Judy said...

I know the lump in the throat feel. It feels like being a stranger in a foreign land, catching glimpses and sounds from one's homeland in the midst of all the foreign scenes of daily life. Like the real Christmas carol I heard when in Walmart the other day. No matter how hard the world tries to dimish it all...it is still there in it's quiet and yet so powerful way.

Love this post!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I carry a lump as well... this Bethlehem pilgrimage being a particularly meaningful one for me.

peace~elaine