Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Variety Hours


There's a reason the 1950s are called The Golden Age of Television. What do you suppose they'll dub the 2000s: The Rusted Age? The Clay Age?
.
What I miss about that Golden Age (apart from my youth and my parents) is the fabulously fun variety shows that aired during the holiday season. Could we ever use a resurgence!
.
Confession: Hubby and I often watch reruns of the Lawrence Welk Show and actually enjoy it.
.
Do you recall ... ?



The Colgate Variety Hour



Your Hit Parade







The Ed Sullivan Show
.

People Are Funny

Ted Mack's Amateur Hour

Dinah Shore

Red Skelton

The Bell Telephone Hour

A one-anna-two-anna three ...

8 comments:

Patrina's Pencil said...

I don't remember all of them - but several. I miss good TV. Rarely watch now. We didn't have a TV in our house until I was in 6th grade... and being a preacher's family, we were limited as to what we might watch. Funny - but we usually watched what she watched...and Lawrance Welk was definitely one of them!

Christmas Blessing, Kathleen
Patrina <")>><

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

Good clean TV.....it's a shame the direction the programs have gone now....

Our pastor calls it the "hellavision"...so true!!

~Beth

LisaShaw said...

I so liked this message Kathleen! I remember The Ed Sulllivan Show and watching it with my Grandma.


Stopping in to say Merry Christmas and blessed New Year to you and your family.

I have been immeasurably blessed by your words of wisdom, your heart of encouragement and your love for our LORD this year and I look forward to sharing HIM together in the coming year.

I love you.

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

I don't grow up with these shows...but my husband did, they were played in his home, his parents are the age of my grandparents. He still lights up when we see one come on somewhere...and yes, there is something so precious and fun about these shows that our generation, and my children's generation is missing.
Now I do love "The Lucy Show"
Merry Christmas...your family has been in my prayers during this season of family loss.

Yolanda said...

I watched Lawrence Welk with my Grandparents when I was a child.

Merry Christmas!

Lovingly,
Yolanda

RCUBEs said...

Just dropping by to wish you a Merry Christmas sister! And a Happy New Year!

I don't even like to watch tv now. Nothing good to watch. Nothing clean like those old shows. God bless.

Denise said...

Have a beautiful Christmas.

Rita said...

TV just is not what it used to be! I wish there were good family oriented shows like when I was younger. This brought back memories!